Author Topic: Lycett style seat on C5  (Read 3966 times)

straffordrt

• Scooter
on: April 27, 2014, 09:33:30 am
Anyone able to find and install a Lycett style seat on a C5, seems the one's out there are for earlier REs, thanks Ken.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:36 pm
Anyone able to find and install a Lycett style seat on a C5, seems the one's out there are for earlier REs, thanks Ken.
Hi Ken, Go to Hitchcock's catalogue. they offer really high quality Lycette style seats. In the catalogue they list which bikes they fit. I'm pretty sure they have what you want. You can even phone them.    www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com    Download the catalogue it is very informative.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:17 pm
Yes, but...

Nobody sells a direct fit, Lycett style seat for the C5. The way the seats attach to the frame are totally different than any other Enfield. I got the biggest seat I could find on eBay (16" at the rear), and used the stock C5 seat springs, and the 1" x 4" front brackets that came with the seat. I've been meaning to take it all apart and take some pictures, but just haven't had the time.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:39:12 pm
Yes, but...

Nobody sells a direct fit, Lycett style seat for the C5. The way the seats attach to the frame are totally different than any other Enfield. I got the biggest seat I could find on eBay (16" at the rear), and used the stock C5 seat springs, and the 1" x 4" front brackets that came with the seat. I've been meaning to take it all apart and take some pictures, but just haven't had the time.
EBAY ain't Hitchcock's. I wouldn't give up until I'd spoken with them on the phone. They even supplied a fitting KIT for their Lycette seat & pillon pad for a G5 - Don't see that very often.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

straffordrt

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:43 am
Yes, but...

Any chance of posting some pics with it installed?  Do you remember who the seller was on eBay?  Thanks-Ken

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:17:01 am
Here it is on the bike. I believe the seller was Enfield County. It came with the frame, cover, two springs (which i didn't use), two 1" x 4" flat metal brackets, and four bolts and nuts. It's not the best quality reproduction I've ever seen, but it fits, and it holds my 290lb self just fine.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:32:54 am
cstorckiii,
Did you need to modify the mounting hardware or did it bolt right on?

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:16:58 am
This particular seat bolted on... sort of. I had to use the stock C5 seat springs, but the flat brackets were just long enough to reach from the mount holes of the seat frame, to the square hole on the frame bracket where the torsion bushing on the stock seat normally goes. After a couple of months, i did take the seat back off to reinforce the flat bracket/seat frame joint with a couple of bronze bushings from O.S.H., and star washers and blue Loc-Tite everywhere. And a nice, comfy gel pad under the seat cover.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:18:43 am
I tried a number of times to adapt a Lycett to my C5. Never could get it to ring out right, so I said to heck with it and pretty much gave my seats away to someone else less fortunate than I.  I've got a big Hitchcock's saddle awaiting my return to home to fit it up to Fiona's frame mounts, once this tour ends (if ever).
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:47:51 am
My just delivered 500c cream & maroon came with black single seat - but brochure showed tan - so just ordered Front & Rear in Leather from Enfield County - will see how easy / hard it is to fit !!!
May then have the orig and an after market rear ( taken off a used bike as part of the deal )for sale CHEAP
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍