Author Topic: Front end ringing sound at top of the RPMs  (Read 4448 times)

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
on: April 27, 2014, 12:40:53 am
Hello everyone,

Almost since day one I've had a ringing sound that seems to come some where in the front end. Military Iron Barrel. It sounds like silverware rattling around against each other. It comes at the top of the RPM range just before shifting. Some rides it's more present than others. It's not my keys as it's there when using only one key. Anyone else experience this? I'd love to figure it out.
2008 Royal Enfield Military Iron Barrel

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:41 am
Could be the hex brake link that connects the two arms on the front drum rattling? Maybe the control levers? A broken front fender stay that maybe you haven't noticed up close? Front tank mount bolt loose? Something inside the casquette? Speedo mounting bracket loose? Upper fork tube cover loose? Check it all off the list.....

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:23:34 am
First, make sure it's not ping.

Then, you can check for all the loose bolts.
I'd look at the front tank mounting bolt.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 02:19:07 am
It sounds like silverware rattling around against each other.

at high RPM just before shifting?  could it be the timing is too advanced?
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:28:51 am
loose  pedestrian slicer??
   Broken front fender stay???
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 03:38:58 am
Sometimes riding with a near empty tank can cause noises to amplify.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 01:35:06 pm
To be more specific about the sound it's the kind of sound you would think "that must be my 10 keys on my key chain very quickly vibrating together creating that high pitch shrill sound." However ruled that out by just using ignition key alone off of my key chain. If I was to spell the sound, it would be "shhhing." Could this be ping?

This is my set up. In terms of timing I have the power arc electronic ignition installed so I've got that set according to the power arc recommendations. I have the 30mm flat side carb with free flow exhaust. This has been a struggle to dial in but I think I'm almost there. At the moment 25 pilot, 125 main with needle in leanest position. Anything larger jet wise and I'm fouling plugs left and right. I just read something that says ping actually happens when fuel ratio is optimized and not when rich or lean but caused by other things like too high compression. See link.

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/info/info1.htm

Maybe trying going to a higher octane for slower burn?

And yes I think I need to check out every nut and bolt up front to see if that's the cause.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 01:44:05 pm
Take a sound clip/video with your phone or something and post it so we can hear exactly what's going on.  It could be that your valves are out of adjustment, or a loose bolt, or pinging.  It's too hard to determine without anything but adjectives.  It would be a whole lot easier if we could actually HEAR the sound it's making.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 01:45:09 pm
Great idea. I'm going to do that today.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 01:53:52 pm
If taking a video, make sure you pan around the entire bike (motor, trans and primary areas in particular).  You might not be able to tell by the naked ear, but a lot of times as you pan over the area that is actually making the noise, the noise will change pitch and/or get louder as the camera is directly in front of it.  This sometimes can help with the troubleshooting and help pinpoint the problem area.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:15 pm
Ok I've made a video of the sound I'm talking about. Here's the link

https://vimeo.com/93081763

password ring

There are four instances separated by a gap. I've added a title appear when the ringing happens.

Phlakaton

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:43:44 pm
It's tough to hear exactly but it sure sounds similar to the time I had one of the following - front fender stay was busted loose and vibrating - tank bolt was loose and vibrating - something bolt related loose.  I swear almost all of my mystery sounds were related to something simple.  Scourer that bike for a loose bolt before going onto killing yourself on hard stuff.  The first lesson I learned with my 08 Iron was just that.  Keep it simple.
'08 Bullet 500 Iron ES

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 08:46:32 pm
Every time the caption ringing came up I heard none. It sounds anemic like it needs the timing advanced. Have you checked the adjustment of your valves? Also it sounds like something might be rattling in your muffler. Like I said before, make sure you have a full tank when your checking for the noise. Make sure your head steady is adjusted so there is no slop. My head steady wasn't adjusted right and I had some weird noises that after the adjustment went away.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:39:03 pm
Hi,
I know from experience that it's incredibly hard to capture this noise on audio recording while riding into the wind but that tinny chainsaw noise that comes on exactly at the :26 and :37 mark is 100% pure ping. It's not the slight subtle variety that pops up once in a while when accidentally starting off in second gear from a dead stop, it's more like the 'this will melt a hole through your piston' variety.
First thing to do is check is that you've got no intake leaks and your exhaust pipe is fully sealed in the head. Next would be to richen up your main jet and/or retard timing. If you find you have to overly retard way after stock settings (.8mm before TDC or 10degrees before TDC is stock) than bump up octane rating and retime to stock.
From listening to that video it doesnt sound like it'll be too hard to cure. If you were pinging earlier in the revrange (before peak torque hit)  then you'd most definitely have to pull the head and lower compression of your piston setup (or get used to race gas) but you are clearly not pinging before torque peak. It's probably just a  main jet bump and slight timing setting away from running smooth and safe.
ACE Fireball 001

NJ Riff Raff

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:52 pm
Thanks so much Chumma for taking a listen and saying with certainty what is is going on. I have been taking small steps to cure it and it seems to be working. I started by filling up with high octane gas. The 30mm flat side carb has been a challenged to jet right. Right now I'm running a 38 pilot, 125 main and needle height in the middle position at close to sea level. I think I have the pilot and the needle height sorted out. What I will now call "the pinging" is much less if there at all. I really have to get into higher rpm's to hear it. I think I will try bumping up the main in one step increments.

As far as timing I have the power arc ignition installed. You set the timing right at TDC with the lighting of the LED light triggered by the metal disc spinning in the distributor cap. The power arc set up actually sparks three times. I had thought of retarding it a bit which I guess is just a case of sliding the the disc back slightly. For now I'm going to leave it be.

My 50's style exhaust has never seated super well. I actually got it ceramic coated in black and I'm thinking I may wrap the header in black exhaust wrap and try to use that to seat it better into the head. Hopefully an added benefit to also looking nice on the bike.