Author Topic: rust  (Read 877 times)

Khecari

• Scooter
on: April 26, 2014, 10:53:49 pm
My bullet got hit by a bunch of salt before I could get her in for the winter and is covered in rust now.  Sanding and painting I can figure out, I reckon, but it's mostly in the silver areas where the paint isn't.  Advice?  Should I be looking for a chrome paint, or some other kind of coating for after sanding?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:03:50 pm
The chrome areas are just that.  Chrome plated.

Because the chrome plating on RE's is very thin it will get rust specs on it but also because it is so thin any attempt to sand the rust off will remove the chrome.

My suggestion is to find a real copper scrub pad.  The kind that's made for cleaning pots and pans.
This will be abrasive enough to remove the rust specs but it won't remove the undamaged chrome plating.

Don't use these pads on painted surfaces though.  They will scrub the paint off is short order.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Khecari

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:06:16 am
I'll give it a try, thanks.  After removing the rust do you put any kind of coating back on top of the chrome to protect it from further rust?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:35:06 am
Use some sort of chrome polish with the scrub pad.  This will not only make cleaning it easier, but it will seal it as your working on it.  Meguiars and Mothers are both high quality products that are easily available at any auto parts store and Walmart (if that's your thing).

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King