Author Topic: Type F Is BAD!  (Read 11676 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:52 pm
Well, maybe after I get a new alternator installed, again (fuck I'm sick of buying rectifiers and alternators) I'll try the Castrol Import Model fluid again, that stuff seemed to work great.  Now if I could only get my primary to seal and stop leaking.  ::)

If you have leaks it may be your cover is distorted from being torqued down to tight. If you cant get it to seal using some rtv along with your gasket you might have to get a new cover.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 06:00:40 pm
If you have leaks it may be your cover is distorted from being torqued down to tight. If you cant get it to seal using some rtv along with your gasket you might have to get a new cover.

Ahhhh Hog Wash!  All of it!  The cover is distorted from WELDING it because I BROKE it from torquing it down too tight.  And I'm not replacing that damn cover!  I just need MORE silicone!

;D  ;D  ;D

Seriously, it probably wouldn't leaking this time but I was anxious to go out and cause some trouble and only let the silicone dry for about 90 minutes before I filled it.  Oh well.   ::)

Speaking of causing trouble.......    ;D  So as most of you know I keep my bike tuned on the rich side and like to make my exhaust talk back.  Well as the weather is warming up the bike is running even a little richer than before and with the timing at 34* full advance I've discovered that when I back off of a heavy half throttle+ acceleration and close it quick without shifting gears, it gives off 3 or 4 big nasty cracks then gargles and pops for a bit.  Well, not thinking anything of it and enjoying my ride, I come flying down this hill hard in 3rd  and as I get to the bottom I close the throttle .  Well, this unsuspecting black urban teenager was walking/dancing along the sidewalk with his headphones and skinny jeans down past his ass.  ::)  I'm about 30' behind when I closed the throttle at a "faster than posted speed" and the Blackhawk belts out 2 backfires that were so loud it made MY ears ring!  Immediately followed by 3 more not as loud pops.  That poor kid jumped so high his headphones fell off his head and I thought for sure he was going to dive into the ditch before he realized it was only me!  I felt kind of bad but at the same time I almost fell off of my bike I was laughing so hard!     ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 07:39:44 pm
Vintage Enfield motorcycles have to live up to their Royal Oilfield moniker. Leave a lil sumpin everywhere you go. Just marking your territory, drip by drip!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 04:26:02 am
When I was a farmer I had a tractor that used a chain for the final drive.  Not the typical ring and pinion set up.  Guess what it used for lubrication?  Atf,  All those heavy torque loads were handled just fine  with ATF.  Perhaps that thin oil was able to better lube the pins and rollers.  Sometimes thicker is not better.