Author Topic: Type F Is BAD!  (Read 11650 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:36 am
Yours is the only case like this i have ever heard of.

He has always been a little different hasn't he? :P
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 03:27:11 am
He has always been a little different hasn't he? :P

LOL  :)

I don't know what the hell the deal is.  All I know is that since switching to bike oil the clutch works fantastic.  See?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eow9kLJuMc&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 03:29:09 am
LOL  :)

I don't know what the hell the deal is.  All I know is that since switching to bike oil the clutch works fantastic.  See?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Eow9kLJuMc&list=UUOuxT3uDOINbn5OmZ0BwRVA

Scottie J

What a fun way to test a clutch haha!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 03:37:25 am
What a fun way to test a clutch haha!

I had to back out of it!  She started getting squirrely!  ;D

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 03:43:15 am
I had to back out of it!  She started getting squirrely!  ;D

See I can test my whole bikes engine/gearbox by just going home, I live on a dirt/loose gravel road on a 23% hill, with nothing but potholes and dropdown gutters which I have to tackle standing on the pegs endure style, first gear basically wide open (Great fun!) at like 15mph, after a downhill 30% mile long decline.
Whole bike test just to leave and come home :D

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 03:56:36 am
Is it type F you bought Scottie or type FA. I made the mistake one time of taking the FA off the shelf without really looking at what I was grabbing. I usually use Castrol type F with no slippage. Use what works for you because the only thing that matters is the performance of your bike, not what works for others.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 04:48:51 am
It was Type F.  It has got to be that particular brand if so many other people are using Type F and not having issues.  Weird.    ???

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 04:56:46 am
It was Type F.  It has got to be that particular brand if so many other people are using Type F and not having issues.  Weird.    ???

Doesn't your Blackhawk have a different more HD clutch setup? Maybe the different plates don't coincide with the ATF oil, that stuff is pretty light. And a pain in the ass to clean up when some bozo forgets to have a oil drainer under that car D:

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 05:14:44 am
It's not a heavy duty clutch but it is improved over the OEM set up.  And the only reason I changed it was because it started slipping, so I put this same Type F in it and within a couple of weeks the clutch was completely cooked to where I couldn't hardly ride the damn bike anymore.  I'm now convinced the Advance Type F was the cause of the original clutch's failure.

Scottie J

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 05:30:59 am
It's not a heavy duty clutch but it is improved over the OEM set up.  And the only reason I changed it was because it started slipping, so I put this same Type F in it and within a couple of weeks the clutch was completely cooked to where I couldn't hardly ride the damn bike anymore.  I'm now convinced the Advance Type F was the cause of the original clutch's failure.

Scottie J

Hmm, seems legit Scottie. Whatever works, works, you and me both on that ATF = no go ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 12:14:10 pm
Maybe it has something to do with the way that scissor clutch works? I don't know. There should have been improved performance with Type F, unless that clutch can' t use a thin weight oil for some reason.
The actual formulation of the fluid indicates that the Type F would be grabbier, and hold better than motor oil. It is actually designed and made to have that characteristic. So, for it to have the opposite effect would be very unusual, unless there is something about your clutch design that would somehow be incompatible.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36:28 pm
I'm not sure Ace.  Like I mentioned, the clutch started slipping last fall.  Upon the advice of this forum, I switched to Type F ATF, the Advance brand.  Immediately the clutch started to slip even more, and eventually the plates were so glazed that any attempt of more than 25% throttle resulted in the engine revving and acting like I had the clutch pulled in.  No amount of adjustment made it better.  I then rebuilt the the entire clutch, everything is brand new except the basket itself, and I even put new "corks" in the basket, which actually appear to be some kind of Raybestos or Asbestos brake pad material.  When I assembled the primary back together I was using Castrol Import Model ATF and had not one single issue.  I pulled the primary apart to test and remove the electrical components, refilled with Advance Type F and immediately noticed poor clutch action and the clutch slipping severely bad over half throttle.  So I cleaned the clutch assembly with the brake cleaner and refilled with the 20W50 motorcycle oil and now it doesn't slip at all again.

OH, and 1 more reason that I don't want to use ATF in the primary anymore?  I really hate smelling that crap burn off of my exhaust pipe.    :-\

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 02:16:58 pm
So, if the castrol ATF worked okay, then that points at the Advanced Auto brand.

But, if your clutch doesn't need the extra holding of the Type F, you don't need to use that. We use it because our clutches won't hold the power with engine oil in the primary, and slip. In our applications, it's a cure for slipping,. So that's why it is so surprising to me.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 02:37:36 pm
Well, maybe after I get a new alternator installed, again (fuck I'm sick of buying rectifiers and alternators) I'll try the Castrol Import Model fluid again, that stuff seemed to work great.  Now if I could only get my primary to seal and stop leaking.  ::)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 04:11:54 pm
Scottie I use 10-30 Yamalube in all of them. ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.