Author Topic: Type F Is BAD!  (Read 11480 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 26, 2014, 02:59:02 pm
So there has been a bit of debate over what type of fluid to use in the primary cover.  Several people have claimed that Type F trans fluid is the way to go.  Well, I'm here to say that Type F blows in the primary.  I was using Type F before and bad clutch problems and didn't think anything of it.  After my clutch rebuild I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle and my clutch worked great, seldom slipped and overall worked just fine.  Well, I decided to pull the primary cover and do a bead of silicone to try and get my leaks under control and filled it back up with Advance Auto Parts Type F.  I didn't even get out of my parking lot before I noticed the clutch slipping like freaking crazy.  It was bad, REALLY bad.  So bad that I basically came straight back home, drained the fluid, put about 10 ounces of lacquer thinner in the primary and sloshed that around for a bit, drained that, went for another ride with the primary empty and the clutch is still slipping.

DO NOT USE TYPE F IN YOUR PRIMARY!!!
IT WILL CAUSE YOUR CLUTCH TO SLIP!!!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:28:57 pm
 I think it's a case by case basis ( no pun intended ) with each bike having it's own preference and here's why:

In clutch of the Harris Scrambler, Type F gives the absolute best results possible, Dexrons not so much and engine oils  :P

On the other hand anything other than engine oil really really sucks for use in the clutch of Timex.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 03:36:59 pm
I think it's a case by case basis ( no pun intended ) with each bike having it's own preference and here's why:

In clutch of the Harris Scrambler, Type F gives the absolute best results possible, Dexrons not so much and engine oils  :P

On the other hand anything other than engine oil really really sucks for use in the clutch of Timex.

I agree, when I got my bike the PO was using motorcycle oil in the primary, when I did the oil changes on it I switched to ATF and from the first ride and since the clutch has felt so much better.    ???
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 03:49:22 pm
So there has been a bit of debate over what type of fluid to use in the primary cover.  Several people have claimed that Type F trans fluid is the way to go.  Well, I'm here to say that Type F blows in the primary.  I was using Type F before and bad clutch problems and didn't think anything of it.  After my clutch rebuild I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle and my clutch worked great, seldom slipped and overall worked just fine.  Well, I decided to pull the primary cover and do a bead of silicone to try and get my leaks under control and filled it back up with Advance Auto Parts Type F.  I didn't even get out of my parking lot before I noticed the clutch slipping like freaking crazy.  It was bad, REALLY bad.  So bad that I basically came straight back home, drained the fluid, put about 10 ounces of lacquer thinner in the primary and sloshed that around for a bit, drained that, went for another ride with the primary empty and the clutch is still slipping.

DO NOT USE TYPE F IN YOUR PRIMARY!!!
IT WILL CAUSE YOUR CLUTCH TO SLIP!!!

Scottie J

Found my '08 AVL in December 2010. Bought it from the lawyer liquidating an out-of-business dealer's stock (he knew Nothing). Zero miles, seemingly perfect, sat in a back room for two years, gas drained, no battery. I knew nothing about REs then. Learned everything here & other websites & various manuals. Just by luck it was an AVL, not a UCE.

I drained everything when it arrived & put a quart of Type F in the primary based on what I read here. All went perfect, no clutch slippage ever & I drained everything again at 300 & again at 600 with Type F in the primary (I know. Overkill. Oil is cheap). Bike now at 950.

No clutch slippage ever. Clutch is smooth as pig shit all the time.

Maybe I don't beat it hard enough.

As soon as the bike's back running again & the new TM-32's dialed in & I can get it good and hot again & I'm over a 1,000 I'm gonna drain everything again & see how the Type F does over the next 2 or 3,000 miles. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 03:53:22 pm
I went from 20/50 Castrol car oil to F-type in my 4 spd Iron. No difference, worked fine with both at all times. Let the debate begin.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 04:31:43 pm
It'll work but it's a seeker and leaks out easier than regular oil. Frankly I don't use it.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:14:54 pm
I don't know maybe it is just the Advance brand in particular.

ERC - What do you use in the primary?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 05:34:38 pm
During a primary servicing, I ran out of the 15w-40 oil I was topping up with. So I mixed in some type F to finish up the job.
No noticeable difference with the mix.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:08:21 pm
There's probably more than 30 Fireballs out there using Type F to prevent clutch slip.
Something isn't adding up.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:12:21 pm
Before my conversion to belt drive which runs dry,I used type f with no slippage problems even after the power bump up of the fireballing. But it is thin and does tend to leak a bit after it heats up.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:00 pm
I'm just running a 15w-40 motorcycle engine oil (Ones without friction mods) and will change that to a 20w-50, which iswhat I run in everything on the bike.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:06 pm
I wonder if there was something wrong with the  Advance Auto Parts Type F fluid?

Yah.  I know.  If it said Type F it should meet all of the requirements of Type F but something is strange.

Both Type F and Dexron are specifically designed to be used with friction clutches so they don't slip.

It's the friction clutches that lock the various planetary gear systems to shift gears in a automatic transmission.

Maybe a name brand Type F works but whatever Advance Auto is selling is the lowest cost stuff that (almost) meets the fluids requirements?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 12:12:39 am
I'm using Advance Auto Type F in my primary also and I have no slip issues. Maybe it's a case of "two right oils make a wrong"....

meaning they might be fine by themselves but mixed together they make something akin to KY Jelly? :o

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:24:24 am
I have a theory.  My clutch only slips under load of half throttle or more.  I wonder if the Bullets just don't have enough HP to cause a slipping issue.  Anyways, I pulled it apart hosed the clutch assembly with brake cleaner and refilled with Valvoline 20W50 bike oil and no longer have any slipping issues.  Regardless, I'm not using any kind of ATF in my primary from now on.  ESPECIALLY Advance Type F.

Still curious to hear other peoples input on this.     :)

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 01:45:15 am
Yours is the only case like this i have ever heard of.

Home of the Fireball 535 !