Author Topic: How to Kick Start Motorcycle Easily  (Read 6141 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:08 pm
Kick starting has been discussed several times on the Forum. Here is my attempt to make it easier for members new to this bike.

@SteverThackery - Thanks to you that now we have a video, in case I forget how to ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZclKnsq38&feature=youtu.be

1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:12:27 pm
Get rid of the Auto Decrapressor and put a manual decompressor in it. That would improve kick starting immensely.
Bare
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:14:52 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:33 am
Kick starting has been discussed several times on the Forum. Here is my attempt to make it easier for members new to this bike.

@SteverThackery - Thanks to you that now we have a video, in case I forget how to ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTZclKnsq38&feature=youtu.be

I can't believe those two little kicks produce any useful amount of "oil circulation" one way or another.

I have my kicker mounted a bit higher, but that's just personal preference. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:58:46 am
The old method of kicking the engine over before trying to start was to draw some mixture into the cylinder and inlet port so once the engine kicks and fires, fuel is right there to use.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:42 pm
The old method of kicking the engine over before trying to start was to draw some mixture into the cylinder and inlet port so once the engine kicks and fires, fuel is right there to use.

Every engine/carb/intake/exhaust combo has its own ittle tricks to be a good kick starter. The S&S carb on my harley (accelerator pump) is totally different than the TM 32 on my '08 or the BS 29 that was on it previously.\

I have found after a LOT of experimentation (& I mean a LOT!) that my AVL does not want ANY priming kicks (at the most only one) or it will foul the plug & the engine will NOT start until a new plug is put in. I've proven this by going through minny, minny plugs. Luckily I found a cheap source with free shipping.

The SS on the other hand wants various prime kicks or throttle squirts (or none) depending on the engine temp, hot or cold, how long its been shut off (when you twist the throttle on an S&S you are actually squirting raw gasoline into the intake, not so with the Mikunis).

Each of the little beasts has its own idiotsynchrousies  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:05:55 pm

I realize that. My comment wasn't about fuel priming. It was about two little priming kicks producing any useful "oil circulation" one way or another.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:09:27 pm
           ...It was about two little priming kicks producing any useful "oil circulation" one way or another.

Some people like to kick many times - others don't do it at all - and some do it sometimes and not at others.

I do a couple of kicks.

You should kick 20 times on your bike every time - 19 kicks are too few to make any useful circulation of oil ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 07:11:37 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 10:33:28 pm
singhg5 Where did you come up with that formula?  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:28:25 am

Careful and exhaustive trial and error... didn't you see his video?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:49 am

Leave singhg alone. Can't you see he's just "cranking" me
up ?  :) ;)   ;D

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 10:59:54 pm
Well Too I personally think it takes 21 kicks to do it properly didn't mean to offend him.  ;D ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:06:27 am
Well Too I personally think it takes 21 kicks to do it properly didn't mean to offend him.  ;D ERC

Thank you for doing all the calculations for the volume of free space in engine for oil circulation, determining the flow rate of oil stream based on rpm of crankshaft with every kick, using a fudge factor including the number of teeth on oil pump pinion, and not forgetting other factors to finally arrive at the undisputed magical number #21. 

TWENTY ONE IT IS !  ;)   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:57:08 am
Can't wait for the video...   ;D

fredgold52

• Grease Monkey
  • Macomb, IL Flatlands Rule
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 06:38:22 am
I've got a '65' iron barrel.  The thing that made the most difference in kick starting was to set the timing at almost TDC.  I mean just a gnat's backside away from TDC.  It has been said that if timed properly, an iron barrel should never kick back.  I agree with that statement.

My sprague clutch gave out the first week I had the bike, and that was years ago.  So I've been kicking it ever since.

The bike has a manual decompression control.
2006 '65' and a 200cc Stella, Indian all the way

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:16:15 am
My AVL is the easiest starting big single I have ever owned. That includes all the old Brit singles (excluding Velocette) and bunches of Jap singles.  I am guessing that the AVL electronic spark retard is the reason.  But now so many big singles with electric start have made start up a non issue.  Gotta love progress!