Author Topic: Bar Ends Mirrors  (Read 8771 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
on: April 26, 2014, 05:24:52 am
Hey guys, it's a rainy weekend down under I'm bored and got thinking.
What is the general opinion of bar end mirrors? Best looking ones and what your rig is?

I'm thinking of installing chrome bar ends, like these ones http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-handlebars (Scroll a little)
Also how hard is it to install these?
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:55:10 am
I have a cheap one from Hitchcocks. It works well but the chrome blistered pretty quickly. Also the expanding wotsit that secures it in the bar end is made out of thin steel and works loose sometimes - not so bad that the mirror falls off though.

That said, it proves the concept and gives a great view astern. The stock, stalk mounted mirrors were hopeless. All I could see in them was my own shoulders.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:47:40 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:25:38 am
 I have the round made in England all stainless Halcyon's from Hitchcocks. Top quality, a year later they still look new. And the view when riding is vibration free, they stay where you adjust them to. They cost a bit more than others, but you do get what you pay for. All bar ends require is for you to cut a hole in the end of the grips, you may have to file the inside weld seam in the handlebars so you can insert the bar ends, some not. A small exacto (hobby) knife works pretty good for cutting the hole in the grip, or some just cut off the very end of the grip.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:29:29 am by cafeman »

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 11:27:36 am
Sounds good cafeman! I was thinking those aswell, got any pictures to gimme an idea of the look? Thanks.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:55:47 pm
Here ya go  8)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:09:55 pm
I used a pair similar to the ones you can get on ebay or Amazon for around $12.  They make a chrome version as well.

Pros:
-Cleaned up look and profile.  The REs I've seen using the bar ends simply look like they are lower.  Even give the illusion of a time before bike had mirrors because they kind of disappear in the profile.  I like the way mine aren't very noticeable, which is why I chose black.
-They don't vibrate.  The stock lolly pops I had before were pretty much useless because of the vibrations.
-The ones I have are so cheap, if you break them, you can easily replace them and still be under $25

Cons
-Have to alter my view slightly to see them.  Not usually a problem for me, my riding style is to look several times by turning my head rather than rely on mirrors anyway.  They mostly get used when I'm at a stop watching the bozos behind me for signs that they're going to stop.
-Have to cut/modify the ends of the hand grips.  The Iron Barrels didn't come with bar end weights that can just be screwed into or have mirrors attached to.  You end up having to cut part of your hand grips off.  The passenger side is easy, but the right side has to be done in a way that the throttle still has free movement.  The result is a slightly shorter hand grip, and less surface area to rest your hand, but you get used to it and don't even notice after a while.
-These particular ones don't 'break away' so if they get bumped hard and are synched down tight, they may break.  The flip side would be bar end mirrors that do break away, which sometimes means a joint in there that make them slightly more bulky.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 05:44:22 pm
I would suggest using a bar end that uses a rubber piece (Napoleon Bar End Japanese ) that expands inside the bar instead of the metal type shown in the picture. I have used both and the rubber mounts are the best.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:49:32 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

solg

• Grease Monkey
  • /Users/solgualtieri/Desktop/165532_489778052839_61
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 09:16:59 pm
Here ya go  8)
those are awesome controls & levers cafeman. Very clean look! Where did you get them? Does that break lever still operate the brake lite.
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. FZ

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 09:59:38 pm
i recently bought oval short stem mirrors from hitchcocks for minda.  they look cool but useless to see behind you. like i've read, cant see past your elbows. i wish i had gotten the end mirrors.
so tell me, where do you get that canister filter.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 10:33:42 pm
i recently bought oval short stem mirrors from hitchcocks for minda.  they look cool but useless to see behind you. like i've read, cant see past your elbows. i wish i had gotten the end mirrors.
so tell me, where do you get that canister filter.

Its the air ace canister, a fabled item.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 11:30:16 pm
those are awesome controls & levers cafeman. Very clean look! Where did you get them? Does that break lever still operate the brake lite.

The levers are nos Doherty 200 Series Racing levers, and the throttle is an nos Tommaselli Super Pratic B. Got 'em off Ebay of all places. Left switch is a replica Lucas Wipac for lo/hi and horn. No brake light on the front, have to use an inline cable switch contraption which requires cutting the cable to insert. I just adjusted the rear brake switch so the slightest nudge activates the brake light.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 04:50:59 am
The Halcyon's I have came with this style mounting, not the stamped metal setup in the other picture. Not sure if they still offer them like this on all their mirrors or not.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:53:04 am by cafeman »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 03:22:51 pm
I got these from eBay for less than 20.

The eBay link is here: http://r.ebay.com/S42JMV.  Note - I have Electra bars which have inserts in the bars and didnt need to rely on the rubber inserts; just screwed them in.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Thomo

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 12:19:28 am
Hi all

Just fitted a round Halcyon Stainless steel bar end mirror bought from Gordon May at Stafford classic show on Saturday. Great quality far superior to the chrome one it replaced.

Cafeman, great looking bike thought mine was polished. 8)

My profile picture shows me outside a cafe at Port Errin on the Isle of man with the Royal Enfield 24 years on from when an exact picture was taken with me on a Suzuki GSXR 750 J progress  ;)

Alan T, Northampton England
Royal Enfield 500 classic
Moto Guzzi 1200 sport

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 09:22:04 am
My Fiona proudly wears a pair of 3" Halcyons.  Fabulous mirors, yep...
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)