Author Topic: GT Blues  (Read 6077 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 04:02:53 am
An RE scrambler?  Now there's an idea!

Graylic

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 05:05:38 am
I would also love to see an RE scrambler, or what I would really want would be a light weight touring bike with some decent dirt capability(actually that is my long term goal for modifying my G5).
1990 Suzuki DR250
2013 Royal Enfield G5

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 05:13:09 am
I would also love to see an RE scrambler, or what I would really want would be a light weight touring bike with some decent dirt capability(actually that is my long term goal for modifying my G5).

I've been looking up the possibility of a good touring set up.
All you need is the larger tank (18L) which is fairly cheap, good saddlebags, solo comfy seat and a luggage rack on the back. Maybe a tool roll up front and you're set! I plan to ride around Australia (18,000km) with a simular set up.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 06:40:27 am
New GT 300 miles $4500. Owner bought it and could not adjust to the bike, too slow he said........Forks will go to Race Tech.
This is hilarious.....it takes 1500 miles for a UCE engine to break in and people are dumping bikes at 300 after undoubtedly flogging the heck out of it.......and never finding out how fast it will eventually go :)

What are you fixing with the forks?   The GT ride and handling is top notch for any bike.....just curious as to what is being improved.  Thanks.

Best regards,

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 04:39:10 pm
That is my bike in the Dallas craigslist ad; If you were referring to me, I don't recall you contacting me about negotiating on price. I've had a couple people try to trade for vehicles I don't want, and one asking about the accessories on the bike...but that's it. Shipping fees on a slightly used bike will put it awfully close to new, so most will go that route. I've just got to hope it sells locally....
I know there's a limited market for these bikes; most people have never heard of the new GT. I like my bike and if I didn't have some unexpected things come up I would keep it....
Heck, for that matter, I'd love to see RE use the same frame with a different suspension and bodywork, lower foot pegs, traditional handlebars, and a high pipe and sell a 'scrambler'. Given the typical age of the RE buyer, I think a scrambler type bike would fit their needs -and aging bodies- better than a cafe styled bike, but that's just my opinion.....
I love the way its set up, just what I would have done. If I could afford it, I'd be on it like white-on-rice. I think its a very fair price. Check out that great Exhaust-Very smart.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

sixtysix

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 05:12:34 pm
I also bought this bike for its character, love riding the back roads. Plus I researched these bikes long enough, and read enough of your posts to know exactly what I was getting into, no surprise at all!

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 03:52:10 am
Nothing wrong with the GT forks. BUT....higher quality springs and an emulator seem to improve most traditional fork setups. Maybe the GT won't be better. I won't know until the forks are apart.

This is small stuff. The UCE engine is where the money will be spent. It is an unknown in the US. Things like rods and pistons. Not hard as they can be made. Carrillo and Arias do it all of the time. Cams more work, but doable. Lifters??? Engine bearings???? Top end may use parts from other bikes (modified) or some standardized parts. Don't know. Combustion chamber and flame front??? Don't know. Ports?? Clutch?? Starter ?? Ultimate compression ratio?? Head sealing?? This is not a top fuel engine. But a strong reliable street engine. This why you choose the top engine building shops to do the work and set a reasonable budget, with reasonable expectations. Experience counts big time. Kawasaki is Rob Muzzy. He knows them inside and out. Ducati has their gurus. Jerry Branch (is he still alive?) and Carl's for Harley. Ace knows pre UCE quite well. Certainly respect him on that. This is not for weekend mechanics.

I have already been advised. Keep the UCE for a spare or sell it. Put a pre unit or even unit Triumph engine in the GT frame. Build your mounting plates and sort out chain alignment.  I now have a few Triumph engines. Build a temping Café Racer in the vein of a Triton. You'll have more HP and it will be cool. May be even worth more in the long run. The thought of strong traditional single still appeals to me. Nothing is ever as it seems at the start. 

A thought....the KTM 690 Duke is a 670cc or so single with loads of technology. Fly by wire, White suspension, 67 hp and 340 lbs. and it rips. But, at 70 plus it vibrates. Faster more vibration. Even with a counter balancer. It is as modern as it can be. But, in the end, it has none of the character of the Enfield. It is not better, just very different and cost more. Performance wise the new Yamaha FZ-07 leaves it standing. And for thousands less. Who cares!  You can chase this power curve all of your life and never catch it.

The RE is in a word,  FUN to ride. It is a Lot of old,  a Lot of new. An elemental motorcycle, with core values.  It makes you realize that riding is fun. Not turning every ride into a race. Simply, riding.  In America we loose sight of this sometimes. If too much is enough, overwhelming is better. NOT! But, try selling that to an American twenty something with testosterone raging. You can't. The GT is an Indian bike for the Indian market. You can't go much more than 45mph any way on their roads and stay alive. Pull up to the Cia-walla and the girls will smile at your red beast. Not in America. Or even in England or OZ. This bike needs  twelve to fifteen more horsepower. I'll settle for ten. But, when it does, it will be superb for it's purpose. A modern bike that captures the past and the passion of riding without feeling you are flogging it to death. A modern Goldstar of sorts. I not holding my breath.....so I try to sort it out.

The beautiful Guzzi 750 retro Racer needs a dose of HP as well.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 05:28:45 am by Professor »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 05:03:18 am
I would encourage you to contact ScooterBob if you truly want to soup up your GT engine......total genius of a man......great guy and knows more about the inner workings of these UCE engines than any other soul in North America.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 05:14:19 am
Unless his website is in error,  he now works for Royal Enfield (USA Importer). So, is out of business.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 04:24:21 pm

"It is an unknown in the US."

??? ??  I can assure you we ALL ! have not been sitting on our hands for four or five years. Waiting for someone to come along and tell us how to do it.  :)    IF your interested, ScooterBob can be contacted at Go Moto in Minnesota, or by simply looking up his profile and sending him an Email..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:27:40 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:37:41 pm
I would encourage you to contact ScooterBob if you truly want to soup up your GT engine......total genius of a man......great guy and knows more about the inner workings of these UCE engines than any other soul in North America.
+1
Scooterbob would be ideal to start and explore options on speeding up this bike for all good intents and purposes...
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 07:04:07 pm
OK found him. Go Moto in MN. AKA Greg Stewart. Thank you.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:03 pm
  That's him Professor.. And GSS does not exaggerate. I have been working with him for the last few years ,Testing his parts and idea's on the street and on the Dyno... Not a soul in North America knows these bikes better then he. He IS a genius AND a Excellent guy. A rare combination....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 11:00:49 pm
Thank you. Will start as soon I get back from India. Hope to visit the factory in Chennai as well as ride a lot.