Author Topic: GT Blues  (Read 6075 times)

Professor

• Bulleteer
on: April 25, 2014, 08:22:28 pm
Pretty much as I expected and thought would happen has. People bought the GT on looks. Once they owned it for a while it disappointed them. REs are unique. So, I watched every sale source available to me for a good deal for well over a month. I found one today and bought the bike. New GT 300 miles $4500. Owner bought it and could not adjust to the bike, too slow he said. Tomorrow it will go to Patrick Racing. Even if I invest $3000 in a engine rebuild to get better performance, it would simply be the cost of a new bike given taxes and dealer fees. This will not be fast, nor easy, but in the end worth it....... I think at this point. A challenge?? Most likely. But, it is not that much in the overall scheme of life. Forks will go to Race Tech.   

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:31:40 pm
If you want a cafe racer and want the speed to go with it, get the Triumph Thruxton or the Ducati. But if you get the Continental GT and to some degree event the Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, you are not getting a FAST motorcycle. You are getting a BEAUTIFUL, and stylish motorcycle.

I think Royal Enfield is really onto something about a different kind of riding. An approachable sort of riding where the motorcycle is not vastly more powerful than the skill level of most riders.  But the United States is a different beast. We have really fast freeways in comparison to much of the world.  Yet, I think there will be plenty of people who love the Continental GT.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:46 pm
$4500?  Great pick up, Prof! 
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:46 pm
This does not surprise me. I bought a B5, not a Continental GT. Having been researching RE for some time, I pretty much knew what I was getting. I also love the looks of the Continental GT, but could not handle the riding position due to medical issues.

I belong to several motorcycle forums, have owned more than 40 bikes, and been riding for more than 40 years. Yet I still do not understand this issue with speed. People buy Ninja 250s/300s as first bikes, and within a month, long before they can even began to approach the capabilities of that bike, they want something faster. They get a 600, which VERY few riders are capable of riding to it's limits, and within a few months, they want something even faster. I have owned bikes so fast that you could only use a small part of the speed they are capable of on the road, making all that speed useless. They were also extremely uncomfortable.

RE is not a common well known brand. And those who do know something about it should also know something about their performance. I don't know why someone familiar with the bikes would assume the GT would be super fast, as it uses basically the same engine as all the other models.

I no longer have any need or desire for a fast bike, and am very happy to ride my Bullet at 60 mph all day. It's a beautiful bike, and is more fun to ride than any Japanese bike I have ever owned.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:56 pm
I look at the GT as modern day BSA Gold Star. Light, efficient and fun to ride. All it needs is bit more power and torque. Not 60HP, but about 36-38 at the rear wheel.  No fragile hand grenades please. Just a solid reliable bike with enough power to be entertaining. I think that is doable with this engine without huge cost. The basic platform appears to be sound.

Like many on this forum I already own a performance bike. I do not want that from the RE C5 or GT.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 10:14:28 pm

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:43:53 pm
The owner did want to negotiate with this bike. He was set on his price. He will learn that there is a limited market. Buying a RE right is essential, if you ever want to sell it. They can sit for months and months. Big dealer fees kill you on resale. I found it in a Penny Saver in Las Vegas. Owner simply wanted out of it. Loan paid off. Done.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:05:08 pm
One of the options I was asked about was this, would you consider putting a pre-unit Triumph in the RE GT frame. I have one that has been sitting. Most likely won't. But in England I will bet you, that there will be pre-unit English twins and maybe unit twins and few old singles wedged into RE GT frames. If a featherbed Norton can't be found, how about a new RE GT frame? It was designed by Les Harris as I recall. Cheap to boot.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 11:42:38 pm
The owner did want to negotiate with this bike. He was set on his price. He will learn that there is a limited market. ...

That is my bike in the Dallas craigslist ad; If you were referring to me, I don't recall you contacting me about negotiating on price. I've had a couple people try to trade for vehicles I don't want, and one asking about the accessories on the bike...but that's it. Shipping fees on a slightly used bike will put it awfully close to new, so most will go that route. I've just got to hope it sells locally....
I know there's a limited market for these bikes; most people have never heard of the new GT. I like my bike and if I didn't have some unexpected things come up I would keep it....
Heck, for that matter, I'd love to see RE use the same frame with a different suspension and bodywork, lower foot pegs, traditional handlebars, and a high pipe and sell a 'scrambler'. Given the typical age of the RE buyer, I think a scrambler type bike would fit their needs -and aging bodies- better than a cafe styled bike, but that's just my opinion.....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:45:40 pm by dginfw »
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 12:02:53 am
My apology. I looked at several GTs from 5500 to 6800. No one wanted to negotiate. Several in the southwest and midwest. Yours is similar to the others. A very nice bike. Good luck on selling it.  I am also buying older Triumphs at the same time and have talked to a lot of people. Craigslist is an OK source. I usually run down leads using dealer mechanics and service departments. I am looking for the guy hurting to sell. They are out there.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 12:15:05 am
suitcasejefferson -

+1

My riding background is similar to yours and I couldn't agree with you more.  Now that I'm 66, I personally have no desire for a super duper 2-wheeled rocket so that I can impress others; I'm now more interested in pleasurable, comfortable riding.
I purchased my 2013 C5 Military because I wanted a primitive, vintage, old school bike and to that end, it satisfies my requirements.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 12:15:18 am
No prob. BTW, congrats on your nice score! You found a heckuva deal!
keep us updated on the engine mods; a lot of us are curious as to the UCE's potential
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 01:48:37 am
The OP title made me think... I bet you're right and a bunch of people will have the blues with the GT when they find out it's not as fast as they hoped. I'm into it. My riding roads are mostly winding hills roads where it matters not whether you have 29 hp or 100. I still keep up with the fast bikes so it's all good for me. My favourite rides nowadays are the GT and my Suzuki Savage bobber. Both 'slow' singles. They're great fun for just popping around in the hills. I am amazed, sometimes, how fast my friend Dave can punt the bobber around tho (he's a no bike family man but always welcome to use mine). Last time I rode my Monster, on a long ride, I couldn't relax under 140(kph, NOT mph) and that's licence losing territory. The singles make it easy and fun to stay sane, safe and legal. My 2c.
I rode a friends '96 Ducati 900 SS a while back and was dong 180 before it started talking to me.....
On the other hand....I did a quick measure up a while back and seems like a DR650 engine might fit the GT's frame just nice.....Maybe when I find that "bargain bike"?
Oh yeah, I bought mine on looks too. After I saw the concept bike a couple years ago, I had to have one. I'm not disappointed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:50:39 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:45 am
Buying on looks is okay. Probably a lot of bikes are sold on looks.

If the performance is satisfactory for the person's needs, then fine.
If not, they can still modify the bike and have the looks they like too.
I think it works out fine that way. You can keep it stock if you like it that way, and mod it if you want it modded. Everybody wins.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 02:24:16 am
I am 66 and have been riding since the 60s.  Owned many bikes, 2 stroke dirt bikes to pocket rockets.  I don't want to do wheelies.  I don't want to out run anybody. I want to take my GT down a winding road and enjoy that feeling that we all know about.  I bought it for the looks and that wonderful RE THUMP! I love my GT and plan on keeping it for a long time...Jim
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)