Author Topic: Premium fuel  (Read 5783 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 05:06:37 am
+1 on using an additive when running ethanol.  By now, most of the country is using ethanol....for reasons which are purely political and financial.  On engines that are designed to run straight gas, ethanol lowers power and fuel economy,  plus it raises the cost to consumers.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 05:15:09 am
About the only fuel we can get at a filling station here in Arizona has 10% ethanol in it.
All of the local filling stations have 87, 89 and 91 octane.

Being a low tech engine I've had no problem using the 87 octane around Phoenix.  No pings. Runs smoothly and gives me a little over 70 mpg (US gal).

When I make my trip up to Flagstaff where I'll be climbing 7% grades I do fill up with the 91 octane fuel just to be on the safe side.  (Running with a wide open throttle to maintain 50 mph for over 5 miles without stopping does heat up the engine a bit and I think the higher anti-knock fuel gives better protection under these conditions.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 12:13:14 pm
When I make my trip up to Flagstaff where I'll be climbing 7% grades I do fill up with the 91 octane fuel just to be on the safe side.  (Running with a wide open throttle to maintain 50 mph for over 5 miles without stopping does heat up the engine a bit and I think the higher anti-knock fuel gives better protection under these conditions.)
Wonder what cylinder heat temperatures you will be getting on your run to Flag? 
I have this CHT gauge on my DF and Ural to watch the temps.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trail-Tech-TTO-Temperature-Meter-Black-Digital-Gauge-14mm-Spark-Plug-Sensor-NEW-/380890308908

Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 01:27:43 pm
I have never experienced any of the problems from Ethanol that some of you seem to have experienced.  I've seen some nasty sludge in different carbs before, but I've never seen gas tanks fall apart or fuel lines rot out because of it.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 05:31:18 pm
The only problems I've had were some bubbling of the paint inside the tank and around the filler neck and the cracking of the exterior layer of the fuel line early on.  To be fair, some bikes come out of the crate with the fuel line cracked.

Bubbling paint around the filler necks is another problem seen out of the crate.  I saw it on a batch of '11 - '12 vintage RE's at a dealership...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 09:49:37 pm
About the only fuel we can get at a filling station here in Arizona has 10% ethanol in it.
All of the local filling stations have 87, 89 and 91 octane.

Being a low tech engine I've had no problem using the 87 octane around Phoenix.  No pings. Runs smoothly and gives me a little over 70 mpg (US gal).

I recently rode up to Forest Lakes (east of Payson) and used 87 octane. Rather than try and maintain 50 mph in 5th gear, on some of the long steep grades, I downshifted to fourth and went about 40 mph. I don't like the idea of using full throttle for more than a few seconds at the time. Two lanes in the same direction, and I was not in a hurry.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 04:52:07 pm
Trust Me, The EFI engines are made to run on the lower octane gas. If you use STABIL MARINE formula fuel stabilizer, it counteracts the negative effects of Ethanol. The Experts say you can run high octane, but are wasting your money. Running any single cylinder engine you can close the throttle occasionally to insure oiling the upper end, but probably don't NEED to.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 05:13:33 pm
Bubbling paint around the filler necks is another problem seen out of the crate.  I saw it on a batch of '11 - '12 vintage RE's at a dealership...

The bubbling paint was an issue on my 2013. All of it is gone now, and some of it fell down inside the tank. What came off around the filler was not enough to plug up the fuel pump filter, but I am still concerned because it looks like the entire inside of the tank is painted. Some paint can resist ethanol for a long time, but it will eventually began to soften and come loose.

Those dirt bikes were several years old, and had probably had ethanol in them the whole time. The plastic was not melted, just badly cracked all over. I have other plastic and rubber melt.

Supposedly marine grade Stabil will help, but I haven't found any actual proof yet. Ethanol is some nasty stuff, and just doesn't belong in motor vehicles.

A little off topic, but I was watching this weird video on Youtube, these 2 guys were customizing a car. They wanted it rusty. They stripped off all the paint, then soaked it in beer. It rusted very quickly.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 08:17:00 pm
I tried 91 octane when new and did not notice any improvement over 87 so have stuck with ARCO 87 ever since. Now I am in the SF bay area so we have that special California gas with the extra additive for cleaner emissions.  I understand it's technical name is BS (comes from cattle I am told) and requires an extra 20c per gallon pricing.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 10:28:15 pm
I store my bikes with premium gas and Stable. I was told that premium had less ethanol in it. However, I don't know this is in fact true. I normally run regular gas and can't say I notice any difference in performance.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 01:31:43 am
What it really boils down to is unless you are running 10:1 compression or higher OR you run a lot of advance on your timing AND/OR you flog your bike on a regular basis    ;D    premium fuel will do nothing for you besides spend your money.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 11:10:11 pm
Here's a website that lists gas stations all over the US that have ethanol-free gas.  al
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 04:19:04 pm
thanks. i found 93 right here in viroqua.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer