Author Topic: rear drum brake being a bit odd  (Read 4852 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: April 25, 2014, 03:25:53 pm
Guys --
My rear drum brake now seems to take more force to engage. Also it doesn't seem to be stopping as well as it did. The bike only has 4300 miles, so I wouldn't think I need to replace pads yet. Is there some adjustment that may be off?

Any ideas? The bike is a 2011 G5 Classic in Green with gold pin stripes.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:37:25 pm
Mine seems to be more of a foot-actuated rear light switch than a brake, really. It does slow the bike, a little, at least I THINK it does. I haven't really done any empirical testing, standardizing the coefficient of drag and equalizing testing conditions, etc. But my hunch is that there likely isn't a statistically significant difference in braking distance between the application of the rear "brake" pedal and a placebo. YMMV.  ;D
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:23 pm
Do the UCE still have single leading drum brakes?  If so it is very important to get the brake set and adjusted correctly along with the wheel alignment.  The back brake can pretty good for a drum, but it has to be set up and adjusted correctly.

Arcing the shoes and proper alignment and adjustment will make the rear brake quite useful.
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:53 pm
I just did a search, and it does sound like set up is a common concern. I will have to tear into it...or, rather, bribe my mechanic friend with single malt to tear into it while I watch and hope to gleen some useful knowledge such that I can begin to do more of this stuff myself.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:57:34 pm
Ill have the shop look at it. I think I got it out of alignment (the brake, not the wheel) with a really hard stop about a week ago. The Back wheel locked up and skidded slightly. Letting out the brakes got me back and I didn't lose control of the motorcycle. But I think that might be it.

The guys are really good about helping me out. Their prices are fair, plus the guys check little stuff for me for free, cause I buy em beers when they are off duty at the bar.

Its fun that my RE dealership is also a bar and grill. If you haven't been to Strokers Dallas you really should give it a visit if you are in the area.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 05:03:59 pm
Guys --
My rear drum brake now seems to take more force to engage. Also it doesn't seem to be stopping as well as it did. The bike only has 4300 miles, so I wouldn't think I need to replace pads yet. Is there some adjustment that may be off?

Any ideas? The bike is a 2011 G5 Classic in Green with gold pin stripes.

Clean the drum and brake shoes, and lube cam by taking off the rear wheel.

Don't know about Classic Green with Gold Stripes, but on Black G5 the brake shoes last very long time ;) say 5 years and lot of miles. The link below may be of some help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASD9nFLSbmE

NB - You don't need to take off front wheel as shown in video, just pull rear wheel out by lifting the rear of motorcycle or tilting a little bit or placing a 2" thick wooden plank under the stand.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 05:36:18 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:48:49 pm
Yeah, I think its an alignment thing. The G5 I have is the same as other G5s its just not the chrome edition. Ill get the shop to look at it. Because I know for a fact I don't have the tools, or the skill to take off the rear wheel.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:52:38 pm
Its fun that my RE dealership is also a bar and grill. If you haven't been to Strokers Dallas you really should give it a visit if you are in the area.

I have to talk to my local shop about expanding.

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:00:15 pm
Ill have the shop look at it. I think I got it out of alignment (the brake, not the wheel) with a really hard stop about a week ago. The Back wheel locked up and skidded slightly. Letting out the brakes got me back and I didn't lose control of the motorcycle. But I think that might be it.

The guys are really good about helping me out. Their prices are fair, plus the guys check little stuff for me for free, cause I buy em beers when they are off duty at the bar.

Whatever happened to that TV show that was filmed there at Strokers? Rick Fairless (I think) was the owner/operator - more into choppers but I do see on Cycle Trader that they do sell Enfields....
Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 08:27:25 pm
There have been a couple of reality shows filmed there. One was called "Texas Hardtails" and focused on the Custom Bikes and Service business. The other was "Ma's Roadhouse" which focused on the bar. I think both didn't last long because really there isn't enough conflict in either business to be gripping.

Strokers Dallas is a one of a kind place. I love it but its odd and not at all corporate or cookie cutter. Thats probably my favorite thing about the place.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 09:41:18 pm
My 2013 B5 had the same problem. Actually a lot of problems. You had to push the pedal way down to get anything, it would slow the bike a little bit, but also made a loud scrubbing noise. I took it all apart, and found that only one shoe was contacting the drum. That shoe and the drum were glazed. I removed the shoes, cleaned them with brake parts cleaner, and sanded them. I did the same thing with the drum. Like most rear drum brakes, the Bullet has a single leading shoe design with a single cam. The pivot point of the cam can be adjusted (I've never seen this before on any other bike) and it was off. I centered the brakes with the unit off the bike, by using the actuating arm by hand, and putting pieces of paper between the shoes and drum to get both sides even. It now works fairly well. More than well enough for a rear brake. And the scrubbing sound, which was most likely caused by glazing, is gone. I also adjusted by tightening the nut on the rod till I could feel drag on the rear wheel, then backed off until the drag just stopped, and the wheel spun freely.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 12:54:49 am
I still have problems with my rear brake now. Have Had no back brake for months. Hope to get it sorted when parts arrive. Every time I think I get it right, it locks up again , usually damaging something in the process. I'm at a point where if I don't have it sorted , the bikes sold. IVe tried everything and am at a loss. What to do, what's bent, replace the whole rear end? I really don't know and I'm about tired of trouble shooting , spending money, buying stuff I don't need like swing arm bushes, wait time to ship this crap etc.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:29 am
Wait, so is it the case that if one adjusts the brake such that it works properly, one is then more likely to, by virtue of having an effective brake, lock up the brake and bend the rear swingarm? If so, mayhaps I should live with a maladjusted, marginally functional brake in the interest of preserving the remainder of the rear end? She stops plenty quick on the front brake, I mostly use the rear in certain low traction circumstances and when engine braking approaching stops to signal that I am slowing. But I am a total n00b, so chances are better than not that I'm doing it wrong.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:26:53 am by lemming »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 01:55:00 am
Wait, so is it the case that if one adjusts the brake such that it works properly, one is then more likely to, by virtue of having an effective brake, lock up the brake and bend the rear swingarm?

An effective rear brake on ANY bike can lock up when used heavily.  Weight transfer to the front of the bike during any braking condition is the reason.  No reason to fear about having a well adjusted rear brake.  8)

Sectorsteve, I believe, is experiencing an anomaly.  His experience hasn't happened to nearly anyone else, hence why no one can help him cure the exact problem, an issue I'm sure that is driving him nuts about now    :o
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:21:29 am
My rear drum (Basically just broken in new drum and pads) is actually quite effective, just a little less than my front drum and my front drum is good enough to stop me in a short space! Combined with the engine braking I can stop pretty quickly, nearly on par with a small jap bike.

So yes, something have be out of adjustment ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.