Author Topic: stopping rear shock squeak  (Read 4764 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: April 25, 2014, 12:28:58 am
I have hagon shocks with upper shrouds; the springs squeak rather loudly and somewhat embarrassingly against the shrouds as they flex back and forth.

Ducatti Scotty suggested a thin plastic liner inside the shrouds.  Well, I found something which might be ideal - $1.25 at Ocean State Job Lot, a pair of flexible chopping mats for the kitchen.  They're really thin and flexible, but they also seem quite sturdy and somewhat slippery.

I can easily cut strips to roll up and fit inside the shrouds, but the question I have is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue I might try?  This stuff seems like the kind of plastic that no glue will stick to!

I don't have much on hand, and going out and buying up a large selection of glues just to experiment with seems pointless before asking here...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:07 am
That would be great stuff but it's probably HDPE, high density polyethylene.  Almost nothing sticks to it.  You could try some double sided 3M foam tape.  That might stick enough to be used.  Might.  It will likely hold itself in place partly by just tryling to unroll itself inside the shroud.

Plastic file folders might work too.  Some are HDPE, but some are a bit more rigid.  They're made of polystyrene.  Lots of adhesives, like contact cement or silicone caulk, will stick to that.

Scott

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:51:57 am
Hagon shocks squeaking? I was considering purchasing a set of these but now I'm not sure anymore?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:50:06 am
Hagon shocks squeaking? I was considering purchasing a set of these but now I'm not sure anymore?
If the squeak is coming from the shroud, you might try damping the shroud by pittin a rubber o-ring on the shroud near the open end. That might damo out the high frequency vibration so that it remains quiet. .
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:00 pm
The squeak comes from the spring rubbing against the inside of the shroud every time the spring contracts or expands with the swingarm motion.  Can't hear it under way, obviously, but when stationary, especially when mounting the bike before starting, it's rather annoying and not very cool.  I can fiddle with the shroud angle and rotate things around so they're quiet, but they find their way back to rubbing in short order.

Roeland, the shocks are silent without the metal shrouds installed - I just went for them because I like the look.

I'm guessing a rubber o-ring would get muscled out of the way with spring movement, which is why I thought I'd go for a slippery plastic sheet lining of the shroud.  But I spend  a ton of money (  :-X ) on plastic which I may have trouble gluing in place.  Scott, double-stick may work, but I don't want to add too much thickness.

I guess I'll just experiment with what I have and go from there...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:22 pm
The uppe shroud is big enough to fit the complementary lower in there.  You should be able to get some dowble sided tape and a plastic sheet.  Try the 3M automotive tape.  It's thinner.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:03:57 pm
The squeak comes from the spring rubbing against the inside of the shroud every time the spring contracts or expands with the swingarm motion.  Can't hear it under way, obviously, but when stationary, especially when mounting the bike before starting, it's rather annoying and not very cool.  I can fiddle with the shroud angle and rotate things around so they're quiet, but they find their way back to rubbing in short order.

Roeland, the shocks are silent without the metal shrouds installed - I just went for them because I like the look.

I'm guessing a rubber o-ring would get muscled out of the way with spring movement, which is why I thought I'd go for a slippery plastic sheet lining of the shroud.  But I spend  a ton of money (  :-X ) on plastic which I may have trouble gluing in place.  Scott, double-stick may work, but I don't want to add too much thickness.

I guess I'll just experiment with what I have and go from there...
I'm talking about putting the o-ring on the outside of the shroud. Nothing should touch it there.
It might not work, but it has a chance at damping the noise, so, it might work.
You could just tie a rubber band around the outside of the shroud, near the bottom open end, to see if it might have any effect. If it does, you could try the o-ring because it looks better, and hardly noticeable.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 06:22:34 pm
I'm talking about putting the o-ring on the outside of the shroud. Nothing should touch it there.
You could just tie a rubber band around the outside of the shroud, near the bottom open end, to see if it might have any effect. If it does, you could try the o-ring because it looks better, and hardly noticeable.

Think like muting a bell....   ;)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 12:32:54 am

Ah-so, Sensei!  I get it.  Worth a try... but the shrouds are off the shocks currently, while I decide if I like the lighter springs I got from Dave and Maggie.  The noise is a metallic scrape; it doesn't really ring too much, since the springs seem to be in constant contact with the shrouds and dampen the sound.

Scott - I had some of that tape when I was thinking about mounting my tank badges with it.  Went with the screws instead, and returned the unused tape!

More anon...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 02:22:04 am
Have you tried some plain old fashioned grease up inside there? Maybe that might work.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 10:41:53 am
I've tried nothing yet.  I've thought about grease, but I was hoping to avoid gunking the springs with something that might get on me or my bags...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 01:13:57 am
Dave Quinn, though he has neither tried nor endorses the fix, pointed me to another forum...

The long version:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/162545-hagon-classic-shocks-cure-for-the-squeaking.html

The short version:

rolled-up PVC sheeting, inserted into the shroud, without any adhesive.  Another poster found PTFE tape, believe it or not, but expensive: 3" wide, 54 feet long for only $66...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 05:43:50 pm
When you pay out what Hagons cost, they shouldn't squeak, or they should come with the slippery sheet already in place.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 12:59:57 am
When you pay out what Hagons cost, they shouldn't squeak, or they should come with the slippery sheet already in place.

Well, that's what the guy in that post was saying.  But it's the old design, I guess, which squeaked, I guess...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 02:49:23 am
All shrouded shocks are prone to the infamous squeaking.

Matt, if you recall, even my shrouded shocks used to squeak quite badly. I used to just turn around the shrouds by hand to get rid of it. But it used to keep coming back after two or three rides. After doing this adjustment again and again over time, the shocks have finally reached a point where they are not squeaking anymore. I guess, all that metal rubbing within the shrouds has created enough clearance so that they are not contacting/rubbing against each other. Or, I've found the sweet spot where the shrouds and springs are clear from each other over the circumference of the unit.

But you have various options to try to get rid of the squeak. I'm sure one or the other will work for you. It is a pain to get rid of the squeak in full shrouded shocks. Thankfully, mine have been so smooth for the past 3 or 4 months.  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:12 am
Update: I finally cut some of my plastic sheeting to size, and inserted it.  I cut it very carefully, so that the ends butt together with a little pressure; it seems very secure on its own, without any adhesive.  And, they're quiet, so I'll just see how long they last, or stay in place.  Worst case, it falls out and I'm back where I started.

Scotty, I don't know if this shroud is made to be used alone, but there really isn't much room between the shroud and spring.  My plastic sheet is only .020" thick, and I can feel the difference in the clearance when I insert it.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #16 on: June 05, 2014, 12:20:29 am
try 3m contact spray adhesive, like elwood used on the rednecks' motorhome foot-feed.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 12:38:36 am
I thought the squeaking came mostly from shroud to shroud, not shroud to spring.  Regardless, if it works stick with it!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 09:48:34 am
Will look at the spray adhesive if I need it.

Scotty, I only have an upper shroud...  Kind of like what came on the bike, but about 3 inches long.