Author Topic: Premium fuel  (Read 5779 times)

sbenson619

• Scooter
on: April 24, 2014, 03:29:43 am
So I've read a couple of topics about how premium gas is a waste and people run there bike on 87. Well I decided today to try 91 and I definitely noticed less vibrations and a little bit more pep to the bike. Not sure about other peoples experiences but I'm definitely sticking with 91 now. Maybe it's california gas?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:34:41 am
No harm in using 91......and for how little gas this takes, the price difference is negligible.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:58:19 am
I agree...run the 91. The EFI system compensates to a degree for lower octane but for a couple gallons who notices the price really? With no scientific data to back me I say it runs better at low speeds and gets better mileage. Also, with absolutely no science to back me up I say buy gas at a nationally known supplier. I prefer Sunoco, since they have the highest octane around here, 93. I think it's higher quality..

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:51:41 am
Ive noticed a difference in fuel, 91 is the shit I run in the beatup backup car. 98 or 100 in Lizzy, big difference in power and milege and our high octane fuels have them lovely cleaning agents.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:34:58 pm
I only use 95 Octane, every time and runs well.
Don't know about consumption, but to be honest, here in Sydney there is basically 91 Octane E10, 95 Octane and 98 Octane Premium. The thing is the 91 Octane has 10% Ethanol. Not really sure I would go down to that level anyways.

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:43 pm
I agree...run the 91. The EFI system compensates to a degree for lower octane but for a couple gallons who notices the price really? With no scientific data to back me I say it runs better at low speeds and gets better mileage. Also, with absolutely no science to back me up I say buy gas at a nationally known supplier. I prefer Sunoco, since they have the highest octane around here, 93. I think it's higher quality..
Probably all the gasoline in your area comes down the same pipeline.   
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 05:50:38 pm
     Octane 101
     Octane is a measure of how slow or fast the gas burns. High octane = slow burn. Low octane = fast burn. It's help in performance is rooted to being matched to the engine's needs. Use the right octane for the engine.
     . Gas does not instantly explode, it burns at a rate predicated by the octane. Spark does not happen at top dead center. Spark ignites the gas at distance before top dead center that ensures a complete burn and maximum power at TDC. Because of higher piston speeds, high compression and high revving engines require more spark advance. This requires high octane for a controlled burn. Low octane would cause pre-ignition/detonation in a high performance motor as it would burn out before TDC. High octane in a low performance engine would not burn completely; the unburned gas will form carbon deposits that will affect running over time, damage valve seats, and cause sticking rings.
     Modern engine management systems are much more forgiving of different grades of octane. But even if the system manages it, it's not really needed or cost effective to run premium fuel in an Enfield.
   The octane # is an average of two different testing methods here in the US. Other countries use only one method, so the rating may be higher or lower and you can't draw a direct correlation to our numbers.
     Other misunderstandings:
     You don't need lead. Modern valves and seats are hardened and do not need the cushioning effect lead gave to 1930 era engines.
     Don't sweat the ethanol. Modern formulations are pretty good. It does tend to bond with water from condensation during periods of non-use. So ride more or use a drying agent such as Heet during storage.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 06:15:30 pm
I generally say use low octane.  If you notice your engine seems to run better and smoother on high octane, then use it :)

Also, remember there are different octane standards.  In the US, 87 is the lowest and 92 is the highest you can find at most stations.  Other parts of the world use a different standard and the lowest you may find there is in the low 90s.  That's the same as US 87, just measured with a different standard.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:08 pm
Colorado sells 85 octane fuel which doesn't work with a crap in the Blackhawk or my high compression Subaru.  Like Ducati Scotty said, if it runs better with the high octane stick with it, if you don't notice a difference then use the cheaper lower octane fuel.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:14 pm
     Octane 101
     Octane is a measure of how slow or fast the gas burns. High octane = slow burn. Low octane = fast burn. It's help in performance is rooted to being matched to the engine's needs. Use the right octane for the engine.
     . Gas does not instantly explode, it burns at a rate predicated by the octane. Spark does not happen at top dead center. Spark ignites the gas at distance before top dead center that ensures a complete burn and maximum power at TDC. Because of higher piston speeds, high compression and high revving engines require more spark advance. This requires high octane for a controlled burn. Low octane would cause pre-ignition/detonation in a high performance motor as it would burn out before TDC. High octane in a low performance engine would not burn completely; the unburned gas will form carbon deposits that will affect running over time, damage valve seats, and cause sticking rings.
     Modern engine management systems are much more forgiving of different grades of octane. But even if the system manages it, it's not really needed or cost effective to run premium fuel in an Enfield.
   The octane # is an average of two different testing methods here in the US. Other countries use only one method, so the rating may be higher or lower and you can't draw a direct correlation to our numbers.
     Other misunderstandings:
     You don't need lead. Modern valves and seats are hardened and do not need the cushioning effect lead gave to 1930 era engines.
     Don't sweat the ethanol. Modern formulations are pretty good. It does tend to bond with water from condensation during periods of non-use. So ride more or use a drying agent such as Heet during storage.

All correct, other than I feel differently about the ethanol, having had a lot of expensive damage caused by it, including 2 oem Honda plastic fuel tanks. I use 87 octane, and it works fine for me. The highest octane you can get here is 91, you can use it, it might be a little bit less efficient, but the difference is not enough to cause carbon buildup IMO. Problem is, it also has ethanol in it. I know of no source in my state for real gas, other than pre packaged race fuel, local dragstrip sells Sunoco 100 and 110 octane in 5 gallon cans for around $70. I have used it for long term storage of bikes when I wanted to be able to start them up once in a while. It already has stabilizers in it, and has a shelf life of over 2 years.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:25 pm
Ethanol damage to plastic fuel tanks is unique to the US, where we add ethanol to gasoline, but almost all motorcycle manufacturers have been hit by this here.  Some boat companies have had the same problems with fiberglass tanks.  The base problem is that certain plastics tend to absorb ethanol over time and distort and/or weaken.

Depending on the bike and model, there are some 'fixes', like 2 part coatings that can be used to coat a new tank.  If a tank has been affected it can sometimes be emptied and will resume its original shape and strength over time as the alcohol leaves the structure.  You may be able to coat it at that time. 

Ducati stopped using their older plastic tanks and moved to a new version on some models.  Instead of a pretty, single layer plastic tank that can be painted and look nice, they now have an ugly black plastic tank that is ethanol resistant under some thin exterior plasitc skins.

The only sure fire way not to have this problem is not to have a plastic tank or to use only ethanol free fuel if you do. 

Motorcycles, boats, and other recereational/utility vehicles are not usually tested to see how they withstand E10 gasoline.  Cars are.  A recent attempt to move to E15 gasoline with more ethanol was quickly rejected, as all car makers said they are not ready to have their new cars certified for that and because of how many existing cars on the road could be negatively affected.

All that said, I've use E10 in my C5 since I got it nearly 4 years ago.  The only problems I've had were some bubbling of the paint inside the tank and around the filler neck and the cracking of the exterior layer of the fuel line early on.  To be fair, some bikes come out of the crate with the fuel line cracked.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:07 pm
These tanks were on a Honda XR100 and an XR200. They developed cracks all over, in a very short time. My daughter and I went out and rode them, they seemed fine. I put them in the shed, and a couple weeks went out there, smelled gas, and found the ruined tanks. Nearly $400 apiece new. I also have an aftermarket plastic tank on my XT225. Holds 4 gallons. Stock metal tank held 2.25 gallons. Not enough. I am sort of expecting the same thing to happen to it.

I have seen a lot of carb, fuel line, and petcock damage due to ethanol. It turns rubber to mush. One carb, on a Honda generator that has ethanol gas left in it was so badly corroded it had to be replaced. Someone here said it melted a fuel level float in the tank on an Enfield.

Strangely, all the damage seems to be to bikes. I have a '64 Ford and a '72 Ford, and they sit a lot. I've had them over 10 years, and have not found any problems.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:39 pm

Strangely, all the damage seems to be to bikes.....

+1 .  Honda carbs and petcocks hate the stuff, especially the ones from the seventies.  I have seem it so bad , where the posts of the jets corrode from the stuff sitting in the float bowls.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:07 am
ETHANOL: I ceased to have any corrosion or damage from it, when I started using STABIL MARINE FORMULA (green stuff) In my carbureted bikes. I continue to use it with the cheapest, lowest octane gas QT station has to offer, and my 2010 G5 Deluxe loves it - runs great .
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:47:38 am
I really have a problem with ethanol.  Have had five small engines fail due to corrosion in the tank, carb, or other part of the fuel system.  Fuel lines crumble, etc. Now, I run ethanol free gas in all of my small engines: chain saws, generaters, weed eaters, etc., etc.  This includes my Enfield G5 with UCE and Yamaha 1100.  I pay a few cents more at the pump but feel like it is insurance. 
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem