Author Topic: What's the "Bare Minimum" tools to carry on the bike?  (Read 5855 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:37 pm
One failing of the stock kit: It takes two wrences of the same size to adjust the clutch cable.  The kit only has one of each size.  I think it's 12mm.

Scott

You might want to check again: I have two 12*13mm. They do it,  as I could experience not that long ago.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:49 pm
I'll have to check, but I recall being SOL last time my clutch was acting up and having to use some pliers.  Then again, the contents of the toolkits seem pretty variable ;)

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 04:48:58 pm
I picked up my bike this week. The tool kit included 3 ten mm open ends but no 8mm needed to adjust the angle of the brake lever. No 12mm either. I have towing through AMA. I used it last week when my Yamaha's engine exploded. Yesterday on my way to pick up my broken bike (repair estimate exceeds the value of the bike) I saw a dead Vespa on I-5 just north of the Grapevine. It almost overloaded the small rack on the back of my car. Hauled him/it to San Jose. Sure it was out of my way but that's just what us old bikers do.

When my bike died, no bikers stopped. When I stopped, the rider was shocked. Nobody had stopped. Is it the combination reliable bikes and cell phones? Or are today's bikers just assholes?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 06:48:03 pm
I think people are afraid of everything . If you watch the news, we are supposed to be afraid of the economy,the weather, world events, and people who display a sense of individualism ( a motorcyclist ).
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 07:38:30 pm
A few weeks ago my clutch cable broke. While I was waiting a man in a car stopped and asked if he could help. He seemed genuinely disappointed when I told him a replacement was already underway. Made me feel a bit guilty.  :-[

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:25 pm
I picked up my bike this week. The tool kit included 3 ten mm open ends but no 8mm needed to adjust the angle of the brake lever. No 12mm either. I have towing through AMA. I used it last week when my Yamaha's engine exploded. Yesterday on my way to pick up my broken bike (repair estimate exceeds the value of the bike) I saw a dead Vespa on I-5 just north of the Grapevine. It almost overloaded the small rack on the back of my car. Hauled him/it to San Jose. Sure it was out of my way but that's just what us old bikers do.

When my bike died, no bikers stopped. When I stopped, the rider was shocked. Nobody had stopped. Is it the combination reliable bikes and cell phones? Or are today's bikers just assholes?
That was nice of you...I'm assuming you were heading towards San Jose otherwise that would have definitely been a "long" ways from SoCal to NorCal..... :) either way, I sure hope that the etiquette of helping others stays with us all....just recently I towed a guy who was stranded out on the Delta and couldn't get his boats engine started..find out his battery's terminals were shot....got him back to a dock so he could pull out.....this happened to me once "Nobody" stopped to help ;D. Go figure.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 06:28:19 pm
I stop, and people have stopped for me.  But not everyone does these days since you're supposed to be afraid of everything.  Most times when I stop help is already on the way.  Cell phones are good for something ;)

Scott

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 11:03:46 pm
4" vise grip. got me home when the chain adjuster bolt broke on my 71 cb450. many uses, small package.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet