Author Topic: What's the "Bare Minimum" tools to carry on the bike?  (Read 5853 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 10:58:00 pm
What is a SPOT device?
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 12:45:35 am
A device that allows people (friends, family: you decide) to track your progress in real time. You can also send out pre-agreed codes, and call in emergency help. Beside the device you take a subscription.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 12:58:31 am
Inreach sat phone.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:06 am
Had to reach for my tool kit today, as i lost my positive battery terminal lug (sheared in half).  I always care a couple of zip ties, electrical tape (or duct) and a length of wire, plus the tools mentioned above (although, a pair of dykes would have been handy).  I needed all of it and in 20 minutes, I got back on the road.  A very nice Harley guy stopped with his son... i couldnt answer his questions fast enough about the bike; His kid, under instruction, made the fix for me  ;)  A future rider and mechanic!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 04:55:15 am
Nice!  I always try to help a rider in need any time I can, you never know when you might need help yourself.  Good Karma.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 05:04:32 am
Nice!  I always try to help a rider in need any time I can, you never know when you might need help yourself.  Good Karma.  :)

Two weeks in and I already had help from a lovely BMW touring rider before I fixed my coil wiring and the wire fell off!
I always carry the assigned toolkit, but with the spanners ect replaced with quality tools, a good brand new sparkplug, a spare tube with tyre levers and some waterproof pullovers for myself ;)
All of that fits into my RH toolbox, in the LH I have a few spare fuses ect.
Once I have my saddlebags a few more tools and spares for longer trips.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 09:27:56 pm
...... His kid, under instruction, made the fix for me  ;)  .....

Brilliant !   allways carry a spare kid !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 06:07:04 am
Since I don't want saddlebags or a rack, I've been thinking of borrowing a trick from the dual sport world. Making a tool tube out of ABS plastic pipe, and bolting it to the front engine mount. Being black and way down low, it shouldn't attract to much attention. I can put the heavier tools in it. I still need to get a dedicated set of tools for this bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 04:08:03 pm
   All the above.... PLUS ! That big red harbor freight table thing,and a peanut and butter sandwhich. ;D
Add to that a chicken tandoori, some Naan and I'm sure singhg5 will agree that some Sarso Ka Saag and Makki di roti will be good too... ;D ;D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 04:18:42 pm
Since I don't want saddlebags or a rack, I've been thinking of borrowing a trick from the dual sport world. Making a tool tube out of ABS plastic pipe, and bolting it to the front engine mount. Being black and way down low, it shouldn't attract to much attention. I can put the heavier tools in it. I still need to get a dedicated set of tools for this bike.
That "tube" idea sounds really good seems like a "Catch all" place to put in longer wider tools and yet is out of the way if secured properly.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 04:30:39 pm
 ;D
Thank you guys for all the input and "thumping" Humor that went with the helpful suggestions.
I do have AA always with me, really kind folks and all....oops I meant AAA  ;) I have 100 miles towing with them. My oval tool box flew open one day and I lost the RE toolkit that came with it....so I'm working on setting up a spare toolkit for the bike....I'm pretty handy with the bike "now" due to learning various "mechanical" skills from this forum...
I've "never" had an issue with this bike on the road....if anything it was usually me breaking things while I was learning to fix things, I've been lucky thus far...the maintenance I've learned on this bike will definitely help me get out of a Jam should I have the proper tools with me.
Cheers,
Mark
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:55:28 pm
 When I was young and tough I used to carry tires changing tools on my dirt bike andIws pretty  quick at fixing them. Kind of a necessity when your a competition enduro rider. However, now that I am old and over the hill and have a hell of a time getting a tire off the rim, I don't bother with the tools any more, Triple A is my choice.
So the bottom line is that you have to consider your personal abilities, mechanical and physical, as to what tools you need. My tool kit on the Guzzi has 3 allen wrenches in it. I did need one the other day as I spotted (heard) an allen nut coming loose on the exhaust pipe.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 10:36:00 pm
I don't really have a problem changing tube type tires, especially the large diameter skinny ones found on the RE and dual sport bikes. They are a lot easier to get off the rim than tubeless tires. On the other hand, they can usually be plugged. The big problem for me on the Bullet is carrying all the stuff. I carry spare tubes, tools to remove the wheels, tire irons to remove and reinstall the tires, a bead breaker, some kind of mounting lubricant, and a small 12V compressor. That pretty much fills up a backpack, and the wrenches and tire irons make it heavy. I noticed that there are extra holes in the front engine mount, probably for an engine guard. Shouldn't be hard to make a mount for a tool tube to go there. I've done it on dirt bikes, that really got pounded, and they never came loose.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 10:45:08 pm
One failing of the stock kit: It takes two wrences of the same size to adjust the clutch cable.  The kit only has one of each size.  I think it's 12mm.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 10:50:30 pm
I've been playing with the combo engine guard/tube idea and gave up on it: way to little space there. Ground clearance is already minimal and front fender is not far out either. As far as I'm concerned not worth the effort: to make it work the net space for tools would be too small to bear any profit. At least not when one intends to use it on forest and mountain roads.

The idea in itself is sound though. Very practical, and functional, on the dirtbike.  :)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt