Author Topic: Bad Stator?  (Read 5982 times)

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 04:28:31 pm
Azcatfan:
If your sure you need a new alternator, order it from Hitchcocks ! The shipping will be a large number but the item will be in your possession within 3 to 4 days. They airmail everything out side the UK.
Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 04:46:44 pm
Thanks Blltrdr!  I had read this but could not find it again in my searches.  Looks like Kevin said it needs to be at LEAST 50V/AC coming off of the two violet wires, and that even as low as 47 V/AC may not be enough to charge the bike.  Thats good to know because the highest I have seen was 35 V/AC with the motor revved up.

One thing I did not do was check resistance of the violet wires.  I'll do that when I get home from work. 

I am now sure that the Alternator is bad, but I'd sure like to know why.  I know vibration and all, but there's always been good fluid in there, and even though the bike is 12 years old, it has less than 5k miles.  During the interum waiting for an alternator, I'm going over the harness with my multimeter as a fine toothed comb.  Check any work I've done, patchup and secure any potential abrasion areas for the wires, dielectric grease on all connectors, make sure they're tight and all that good stuff.  :o

Electrical parts wear out period! I wouldn't worry to much on why it wore out unless you think you had done something to perpetuate the problem. These bikes do generate a lot of vibration which can be a killer on electrics. One thing to think about is you are getting voltage, just not enough. Your problem could be that your rotor is not as magnetized as it was when new. An electric motor shop in your area could re-magnetize your rotor for you or you might be able to go online and find a how to video. I would try that before spending the bucks on a new stator. Once you pull your stator and rotor off you can check the rotor by taking a large screw driver and attach it to the rotor and lift it up. If the rotor doesn't stay attached to the driver it needs to be re-magnetized.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:53 pm
Azcatfan:
If your sure you need a new alternator, order it from Hitchcocks ! The shipping will be a large number but the item will be in your possession within 3 to 4 days. They airmail everything out side the UK.
Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

Thanks Neil, that's good to know.  I like to buy from our host whenever possible, but in this case they don't show an alternator for my model.  Everything they have for an Iron Barrel is the KS model.  Thank you for the Info, Hitchcock's has a good reputation too.

Electrical parts wear out period! I wouldn't worry to much on why it wore out unless you think you had done something to perpetuate the problem. These bikes do generate a lot of vibration which can be a killer on electrics. One thing to think about is you are getting voltage, just not enough. Your problem could be that your rotor is not as magnetized as it was when new. An electric motor shop in your area could re-magnetize your rotor for you or you might be able to go online and find a how to video. I would try that before spending the bucks on a new stator. Once you pull your stator and rotor off you can check the rotor by taking a large screw driver and attach it to the rotor and lift it up. If the rotor doesn't stay attached to the driver it needs to be re-magnetized.

The magnet fealt pretty strong actually, even before cleaning it took a bit of force to move the stator around while I was taking it apart.  I'm pretty sure that the magnets could have held a fairly heavy wrench if I'd chosen to place one there.

I also agree that the vibes and heat can kill a small alternator like this one, but I figure it won't hurt to go ahead and clean up any other potential electrical problems.

Thanks for all the help!
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:45:24 am
Question:

Do the violet wires on the new stator replace the red and black wires on the old one?

Seems simple, with the Old Stator:

Red connects to the Violet in the harness
Black connects to the second Violet in the Harness
Orange to Orange
Yellow to Yellow

Seems to reason that the New Stator:

Violet to Violet
Violet to Violet
Orange to Orange
Yellow to Yellow

Is this right?  :-\

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:15 am
Sounds sense-able to me.

More than black to violet and red to violet does.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:32 am
UPDATE

It is indeed that simple, and I am a happy camper!  Back on the road and fully charging!   8)

Final Outcome:

Stator was bad - 20-30 V/AC across the violet wires prior to Rectifier at high RPM, 6-10 V/AC at idle.  Charge in V/DC at the battery was 0 at idle, 0 at high RPM.

New Stator - 45-47 V/AC across the violet wires prior to Rectifier at high RPM, 13-13.8 V/AC at idle. Charge in V/DC at the battery is 12.8 at idle, 14.4 at high RPM.

One Happy Camper  ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 05:30:59 pm
Awesome!  Glad to hear!   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 11:50:20 pm
I didn't see anything in here about having a bad rotor. if all the wiring is checking out in the stator, the rotor might well be down on magnetism. The rotor can be remagnetized an an auto electric shop. Bad rotors are somewhat unusual, but definitely not unknown. I replaced several rotors when I was working in a Brit bike shop.  Get yours checked out, or get a new one.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com