Author Topic: tell me again what it means when the carb pops off  (Read 2013 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
on: April 22, 2014, 09:57:52 pm
hello gearheads.
 yes, it can can happen to you too. i was advancing the timing and it seemed to run allot smoother till i went to kick it over again and the carb popped off. i didn't give it a whole hearted kick though, my right knee is aching so i was standing on the right using my left leg and trying not to have my foot centered on the lever just in case it kicks back, didn't want to break my left knee.
 so could it be the timing or the half kick strength?
 i do have one of those TDC gauge but i don't like using it as .08mm is hard to see.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:08:30 pm
Could be all of the above.

Or it could be an intake air leak causing lean condition, such as a rip or crack in the rubber intake manifold hose. That's what always made my carb blow off, until I realized that those RE intake hoses were crap, and I used radiator hose after that, instead.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 10:21:01 pm
Sounds as though you are not using the decompressor correctly. Begin your kick at tdc, and your leg is safe. You could be too advanced, but kicking correctly will save your leg.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:10 pm
funny you mentioned that, earlier that day i went back to radiator hose. i didn't know about supporting the carb with a bracket. it has a pancake K&N and the tube was cracking. i fab-ed a support bracket out of 1x 1/8 aluminum flat bar. maybe i need to snug it down with the water hose clamps instead of those thin gold bands.
 Have a nice day.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 07:35:54 pm
Well, mine once blew off from a backfire and took the fuel line with it...fire started. Put fire out, reassembled and rode home.

At the risk of stealing Scottie's reply "you're small inferno was the Mikarb killing itself"!! He was right. To me, that's "what it means when the carb pops off"

Do yourself a favor and go with the flatslide Mikuni, Ace Canister and Ace alloy manifold. You can do this all for under $300. Oh, and Ace's canister come with the mounting bracket that supports the whole carb arrangement. Not to mention the 25% HP increase. It'll be your best money spent on a mod...right after shedding the OEM silencer for a free-flow.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:41:56 pm
well, i thought about changing carbs, but i just got the mikcarb dialed in, i think. i do like the looks of the ace canister. tell me where you get one. is it from our vary own ACE?
 Have a nice day.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 02:08:08 pm
Yes, our very own Ace.Cafe. The canister is a great fit and a great look. Well worth the money, especially when it comes to changing the filter element. You'll be pleased with his work.