Author Topic: Emgo mufflers  (Read 5172 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
on: April 22, 2014, 02:28:54 pm
Thinking of replacing the stock pipe on my B5 with a shorter Emgo, as I have concerns about hitting the stock pipe on a pothole or something with my tonnage. Watching a review of the Enfield in India on Youtube, I noticed that, with a smaller pilot than me, on rougher roads the pipe came awfully close to grounding out at times.

I did search here, seems a number of folks are running Emgo pipes. Who is using which ones? I like the look of the upswept, also that it gets the pipe out of the way of the road. Any issues with any of the Emgo pipes long term? What are people doing for heat shields, wrap, or anything? Pics would be great, especially on B5s...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:51:11 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 03:16:35 pm
In my opinion, you need an upswept to be certain it won't drag in a tight corner when the suspension is depressed. I have used the EMGO Dunstall style mufflers, & had no complaints with quality. I don't have a heat shield on my exhaust & have not been burned. There are generic heat shields available on EBAY
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:56 pm
Thanks Craig. Assuming that is what's on your G5 Deluxe in the Member's Rides pics? Looks great, and likely what I need. Any others have alternatives or other thoughts?

Craig, what are you running for the rear suspension set up? Addit: actually, found your old post on that, do you know what part number those shocks were? Were there options on the spring "weight"? 250 is, ahem, a little shy of where I would need to be....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:38:36 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:10:28 pm
............ what part number those shocks were? Were there options on the spring "weight"? 250 is, ahem, a little shy of where I would need to be....

I'm no lightweight either .... the stock RE shocks seem perfect to me.  Most of the replacement discussion has been about finding softer shocks.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:31 pm
In general, I am pretty happy with the stock shocks' absorption capacity. I have hit some pretty sizeable frost heaves which it handled with aplomb. I feel though, that in cornering (not even really hard cornering, which I don't tend to do), that there is a bit of a wobble in the rear. It isn't huge, but it's there...it sort of wallows a bit. I am thinking that might be buttoned up with a stiffer shock set up, but maybe I'm wrong? I am happy enough with the stockers that I would likely wait a while before I replaced them anyways.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:59 pm
The wobble may be due to low pressure in your rear tire. Verify 24 psi and see if it helps.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:43:51 pm
The wobble may be due to low pressure in your rear tire. Verify 24 psi and see if it helps.

If anything, TP is high, not low. Checked it yesterday (though right after my ride, doh! Amateur) and it was 28. The bike came with new 100/90-19 Duros on it, looks like they are HF261As. Seem a decent street tread, though obviously not the spec. Actually, they are both 100/90s, should the rear be different? Sorry for drifting my own thread...and, if I am getting annoying, please let me know. I won't take offense, as my capacity for geeking out is near limitless, along with my propensity for the over-use of multiple periods and hanging sentences.
 :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:10:25 pm by lemming »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:18 pm
I currently have a 26" Emgo reverse cone on my bike and a Dunstall waiting to be installed.  Quality on both is good, chrome is good quality.  They are definitely lighter than stock.  The only caution I would have is that if you get a fiberglass packed one, re-pack it before you even put it on the bike.  They all seem to come with far too little packing.  A new batch of fiberglass packing runs about $15.

As to the wobble, I'd say look into some other shocks and change the oil in the front forks.  I like Hagon shocks, get a set that matches your weight and riding style.  While you may not need a softer shock like many of us want, the stock shocks are not great and the spring and damping are not well matched.  Change the front fork oil with some good quality 10W fork oil.  I think with those two changes you'll find the bike handles much better.

I run 24# in the rear tire, I weight 220#.  At your weight you could run a bit more.  26-28# is probably about right.  Put it up and down a few pounds and go for some rides, see what works best for you.

Scott

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:18 pm
Thanks Scott! The fork oil was changed at some point by the dealer for the PO's preference. I will try to find out what they put in. The Hagons certainly seem a good direction, all things considered. I will have to start hording my pennies.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:24:46 pm
I have a completely stock B5, and have had no problems. I weigh 230+/- I set the preload on the shocks to the highest position, and the tires are both at 35 psi (sidewall says 36 psi) I haven't yet banged the muffler on anything. I do expect the stock muffler to fail, they all seem to rust through at the front at some point. If it happens during the warranty period, I'll just get it replaced. I wanted the EFI pipe, but it seems to have the same problem. I don't really care for the megaphone type muffler on the B5. It looks out of place to me. My '66 Bonnie had the peashooter pipes, later Bonnies had megaphones. Then the new Bonnie came out with peashooter type pipes, but with an awful kink in the header right before the muffler. Now only the T-100 has the peashooter pipes, the base models use megaphones. Also look at the pipes on the Kawasaki W650. That is what I want for my B5.

My main concern with the stock pipe is that being so heavy, and with all the vibration, the mounting brackets may fail, which would likely crack the head where the header pipe attaches.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 06:29:42 pm
Good point on the pre-load, SCJ, I think I have another notch to go. I will give that a shot.

On the upswept, looks like the Dunstall is straight? Are folks using the angle adapter to make it upswept?

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:02 pm
 My B5, although better than my old Iron Barrel, seems typical of RE's, oversprung and underdamped. Having said that it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:04:32 pm
I set the preload on the shocks to the highest position, and the tires are both at 35 psi (sidewall says 36 psi) I haven't yet banged the muffler on anything.

The 36 psi on the sidewall has absolutely nothing to do with the proper tire pressure for riding the back. That's the max pressure for the tire.
I always ran about 20 psi in my G5 tires. I found that running over 24psi just made the ride extremely harsh.
Getting the original sludge that comes in the forks is very important to improving the ride. I used 10wt fork oil in my forks and it had a pretty nice ride with the low air pressures. Those who haven't changed the fork oil to some real stuff, don't know what your missing, like a comfortable ride. It's something that should be as soon as you get home from buying the bike. And please use fork oil that is meant for the job. Some people use ATF, an old wives tale that started in the '50s before tere wasa any such thingas fork oil. The factories recommend motor oil which was a bit to stiff for forks. However, specific fork oil was developed and meant to be put in forks and works very well.  But the ATF business still lives on...I don't know why.
I put Hagon shocks on the rear. Dave Quinn will put the proper spring on it when you order it and give them your weight, etc. The stock shocks are just not good.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:17:14 pm
Thanks Craig. Assuming that is what's on your G5 Deluxe in the Member's Rides pics? Looks great, and likely what I need. Any others have alternatives or other thoughts?

Craig, what are you running for the rear suspension set up? Addit: actually, found your old post on that, do you know what part number those shocks were? Were there options on the spring "weight"? 250 is, ahem, a little shy of where I would need to be....
Hi Lemming, My muffler on the G5 deluxe is a genuine NOS 1960's British cocktail shaker with removeable end & flat drilled plate baffle - NOT AN EMGO, but I do completely love it.

SHOCKS; are from MotorcycleSolutionsLLC.com  They are made by the same company in India as the stock shocks. With the horrible tires that came on my used bike, & the worn stock shocks, I felt like I was riding a noodle in mush. The "tried & true" oil filled replacement Shocks, correct Dunlop K70's, & 20w synthetic ATF in my front forks cured my handling complaints. I knew what to do, & just what I wanted. The set up is perfect for me. That old Ducati cafĂ© I have (in my picture) was set up with ordinary Girling British shocks, & it cornered as on rails.
  I know the Chrome finish on my Shocks is good for an additional 10MPH. If you are interested in some You could call/write John Strawbridge at  (419) 720-4313 or Email motorcyclesolutions@hotmail.com, & talk with them about your needs. I got mine for about $100. Hagons are just to expensive for me, & I believe Oil stays in shocks longer than Gas. 
  There are some handsome shrouded reproduction shocks available on EBAY - Just measure between your old shocks eyes, & measure your mounting bolts diameter, to get the correct size. I particularly like the stiffer springs on mine, I imagine they could be adjusted for a heavier person or persons.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:39 am
......... I feel though, that in cornering (not even really hard cornering, which I don't tend to do), that there is a bit of a wobble in the rear. It isn't huge, but it's there...it sort of wallows a bit........

you might be feeling sidewall flex from an underinflated rear tire, or, one of those softwalled K70's.

Try a rear tire with a higher load-rating (stiffer sidewall).

edit:  just read your  followup about the DURO tires.  I couldn't find too much about them - but - one reviewer did classify them as a "soft" balloon type tire.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:15:46 am by gremlin »
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5