Author Topic: Considering buying new 2014 RE Military  (Read 3228 times)

Cgguy0509

• Neophyte
on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:30 am
Hey team,
I'm considering buying a new Royal Enfield, specifically the military. I'm curious about a couple things. I know the RE's have some issues, most of which were supposed to be resolved this year with the new UCE engine. Did this actually happen or are the same problems extant?

Next, I know the bike's MSRP is about at 5.5k How negotiable is that price? I'm usually against buying cars/bikes new off the lot, but if I can get a good deal, I'm all about it. Do we know how negotiable their prices are?

I appreciate any & all feedback.

Thanks team!

-cFogs

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:01:20 am
Welcome. The UCE has been around several years now and seems much improved over the old iron barrel. They are not Hondas, and do not have Honda quality. But they are 10 times better looking and 10 times more fun than anything Honda makes, at least to me. I recently bought a 2013 B5, and just finished putting 2000 miles on it. No major problems, nothing some tinkering didn't fix.

I would not expect to get one below MSRP, as RE recently lowered their MSRP by $1000. I got mine (with an MSRP of $4999) OTD and delivered to me 120 miles away for $6000. A local dealer wanted over $1000 more without delivery. So the best thing is to find a decent dealer that won't pile on the fees. I paid only sales tax, title, registration, and a reasonable delivery charge. I did all my own break in service.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:39 am
Just what issues was Royal Enfield fixing?  Are you speaking of the old Iron Barrel and AVL Lean Burn engine?

If you are, then yes.  The issues have been pretty much fixed with the new UCE design.
A few people have had a few problems with the UCE models like the starter solenoid and battery terminal connections but most of us have had no problem worth mentioning with them at all.
In 3 years and 14,400 miles of owning my 2011 G5 Deluxe it has needed a rear chain and a new front tire.  The low fuel indicator died and I replaced the battery just because it was 2 years old.
Beyond that, it's been trouble free.

There apparently is not much of a mark-up on the new Royal Enfields so it's rare to see one offered below MSRP.
There have been a few reports of a few dealers adding on a lot of extra charges when the final paperwork is being filled out though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Manatoc fox

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:53:30 pm
Ohh, I too would love a 14 military, but I am a little concerned about reliability. Everyone says it isn't a Honda. What does that mean (i haven't owned a Honda either).  I'm not a natural gear head, is the RE going to give me fits?  How much time am I going to have to spend wrenching on these guys?
2014 Royal Enfield Military-"Thumper" to his friends

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:15:39 pm
As for reliability, the newer bikes out of India are in fact VERY reliable, and the niggling little things that do crop up seem to be regularly addressed by the factory as an on-going improvement process.
When someone says "it ain't a Honda" they are referring to the Japanese bikes and their character.
The RE is NOT a crotch rocket, nor is it a super slab cruiser.
It IS a Brit progeny based on older technology and appeals to a narrower range of riders, particularly those who don't mind tinkering a bit ( or more ) to make it what they want.
The lads in Chennai have done a wonderful job constantly improving things over the years, and continue to do so.
If the Brit design appeals to you, you're willing to do a bit of tinkering on rare occasions, you prefer the zen of the back roads, by all means go for the RE of your choice.
Any time you encounter an issue with your bike, just post, and the forum members here will bend over backward to help you. ;D

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:06 pm
A Honda is as reliable as an anvil, but drop dead boring. All the fun has been refined out of them. They are quiet and smooth, and feel like a kitchen appliance. At least that is my opinion of them. I loved the new CB1100 when I first saw one, and seriously considered buying one. It LOOKED gorgeous. But after a test ride, I lost all interest. It was so smooth you could not tell it had an engine, and the only mechanical noise it made sounded more like gear whine than and engine. Nothing at all like the original 4 pipe SOHC CB750.

I have 2000 miles on my Enfield B5 so far, and have had the following problems. The brakes were not right to begin with. The front brake worked fine, but made a noise like a train horn. I removed the pads, cleaned them with brake parts cleaner, and sanded them. I cleaned the rotor with brake parts cleaner, and lightly sanded it on both sides. Put it back together, and have not heard a squeak out of it since. The rear brake barely worked, and made a scrubbing noise. Way to much pedal travel. Turned out it was not centered properly, and only one shoe was contacting the drum. Once I got everything adjusted properly, it works fine. Yes, these things should have been done by the dealer, but they didn't charge me a setup fee either. The only other issue was an improperly routed wire to the tail light. It made contact with the rear tire, and got chewed up. I repaired it, and rerouted it above the fender under the seat, out of harms way. So far that has been it. You will not likely have issues like this with a Honda. But I don't want to ride an appliance. I'm sure the dealer would have taken care of these things, but they are 120 miles away, and I am a mechanic by trade anyway, so it was no big deal.

I don't really think any motorcycle is a good deal for someone who has no mechanical inclination at all, has no interest in learning, and doesn't want to get their hands dirty. Even Hondas require maintenance, and if you can't do it yourself, the cost of having a dealer do it is absolutely absurd. $100+ for an oil change is not uncommon. They will charge you $50 to adjust the chain, and then probably get it to tight. Dealers here charge $100/hr labor, plus shop supplies plus tax, with a 1/2 hr minimum.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:52:40 pm
I don't really think any motorcycle is a good deal for someone who has no mechanical inclination at all, has no interest in learning, and doesn't want to get their hands dirty. Even Hondas require maintenance, and if you can't do it yourself, the cost of having a dealer do it is absolutely absurd. $100+ for an oil change is not uncommon. They will charge you $50 to adjust the chain, and then probably get it to tight. Dealers here charge $100/hr labor, plus shop supplies plus tax, with a 1/2 hr minimum.
One of the things I miss most is the way motorcycling was when I was young, & riders could & did most of their own work. Motorcycles were hand assembled & looked like motorcycles (not like Transformers). The Royal Enfields were a Godsend for me, for which I will always be grateful. Even with their fresh & timely improvements, They are the real thing.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Cgguy0509

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:29:42 pm
Thanks for the input on all ends, boys. I appreciate it.

I've had a 1971 Honda for the last three years & when it ran it ran great. I'm used to the tinkering so that's not that much of an issue. Especially since the bike is metric I don't need to buy any new tools! ;)

That's good advice on the price too. I'll still see if I can get some goods tossed in or done for cheaper. I'm also considering buying a triumph or a BMW. But I'm a cheap guy so we'll see which way it goes.

If you guys have any more advice I'm all ears. Thanks team!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 11:32:22 pm
Getting accessories or gear tossed in is an easier way to bargain.  Dealers don't make much on bikes, there's very little markup.  The markup on gear and accessories is much higher, so it's easier to bargain on those.

You might also want to ask for things like getting the first service thrown in.

Scott

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 04:52:24 am
Don't know where you're located, but there's a good deal on a 2013 C5 Military on CraigsList in Denver:

$4595.00

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcd/4418579996.html

Cheers,

Dan K.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 07:10:25 am
Hmm. Nice. 2013 with only 800 miles? And already has a passenger seat and saddlebags. Somebody must have bought it, and decided right away they didn't like it. Looks like a good deal unless it's one of those "pile on the fees" dealers.

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:20:09 pm
   I bought a '14 Military the beginning of the month.  The shop I bought it from changed the oil and cleaned the screen when they assembled the bike.  I am almost 260 miles and have not had any issues.  I would have more miles but with the distance I travel to work it takes a little while longer than I can afford to take.  Once I complete the break-in I will be riding as much as possible.  I got a new seat and a new headlight.  The seat was installed at the dealer and I did the headlight.  The member tinkering and repairing videos are quite helpful.
   Keep us posted on your decision.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military