Author Topic: Air Filters, Not what you may think.  (Read 4280 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:46 am
  And at the bottom........

"The Flow Restriction response curves for each filter have the same basic shape. However, note how the AC Filter, which passed the smallest amount of dirt and had the highest dirt capacity and efficiency, also had the highest relative restriction to flow. The less efficient filters correspondingly had less restriction to flow.

This illustrates the apparent trade-offs between optimizing a filter for dirt capturing ability and maximum airflow."

Nothing new under the sun there  :-\ 

True.

There is still another trade off you can make. Increase the surface are for more flow.Install the biggest filter possible.

Old VW desert racer trick, mount the entire air filter assembly sourced from a heavy duty truck inside the cabin and plumb it to the carb with a flexible hose.  The gigantic surface area provided nearly unlimited air flow and tons of dust accumulation before flow would even begin to think about a decrease.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 06:32:22 am
Mr. Mazza,
Please be aware that there are differences between the old Iron Barrel models, and the new UCE bikes.

Your airbox and filter system are horrible on that Iron Barrel model.
But you cannot hang a K&N or any other pod filter on the end of your carburetor without supporting it with a bracket, or it will eventually tear the rubber manifold connector hose between the carb and head.
Please refer to the archives in the Iron Barrel section for things regarding your air filter system.

Thanks for that Ace, I realised the old air box uses the filter inside my toolbox, which is packed with tools, a spare tube and pull over dri-rider pants. I might get an S&B Pancake from Hitchcocks within the month or so, seems like the best option. I currently have a KN cone filter on my Amal Carb, it sits nicely and breathes, just worried about the dust getting past, it'll be right for a few weeks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:03:21 am by Mr.Mazza »
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 12:36:36 pm
Thanks for that Ace, I realised the old air box uses the filter inside my toolbox, which is packed with tools, a spare tube and pull over dri-rider pants. I might get an S&B Pancake from Hitchcocks within the month or so, seems like the best option. I currently have a KN cone filter on my Amal Carb, it sits nicely and breathes, just worried about the dust getting past, it'll be right for a few weeks.

If you have an Amal model that doesn't use a connector hose to the intake manifold, then you don't need a supporting strut on the filter element. If your carb has a connector hose to connect to the intake manifold, then make a support strut from the frame to the filter.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:52 pm
True.

There is still another trade off you can make. Increase the surface are for more flow.Install the biggest filter possible.

Old VW desert racer trick, mount the entire air filter assembly sourced from a heavy duty truck inside the cabin and plumb it to the carb with a flexible hose.  The gigantic surface area provided nearly unlimited air flow and tons of dust accumulation before flow would even begin to think about a decrease.

Good trick , I like it!  And the benefit of a cold air intake as well !  Course... I hope there is enough make up air for the driver ?   Windows open would pretty much be a must I would think...  ::) ;D ;)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 06:14:20 pm
Also a nice trick since it gets the air cleaner out of the dust stream, even with the windows open.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 09:08:29 pm
AZ is probably the dustiest place in the country. Many off roaders around here use a tall snorkel on the air cleaner, to get the intake up above the dust cloud. Some also use multi stage filters, the idea being that anything that gets through the first filter will get caught by the second.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:24 am
when I went down last month I trashed my right side tool box, some how the oval survived but the triangle got bent a rashed fairly well...  a trip to advanced sourced a 6"round paper filter with chrome top, and a trip to lowes sourced a PVC cap just a tab bit bigger.  I epoxied the ring from the filter to the cap, rattle canned the assembly, reused the rubber intake and one of the brackets for the oval box, I and am please with the results...  it looks odd...  but it does get the job done.
Chris

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 07:52:43 pm
Neat.
Reminds me of the days of long stockings sticking out of the boots. Was cool in the 50s, so suits a Bullet well.  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt