Author Topic: Weight Reduction on a Bullet C5 Classic  (Read 12733 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 12:25:04 am
8) 8)
Wow, super.
So much attention to detail: museum quality, and yet it lives.  ;D

I'm intrigued by the emblemata: what and who, if possible?

Thank you Royalista. I try to keep it clean.  Lives and BREATHS it does , and gets faster every year.

Emblemata ? ..... I like it !  The WHO, would be Scooterbob , myself and my very talented niece Erin. Who pulled together the idea's that we threw at her.  The WHAT.... Well, there is a LOT going on. But mostly Celtic..... With Indian and British ideas in there.  British racing GREEN, WHITE and ORANGE on the tins and in the Emblems. With a silver frame for Mike Hailwood and his silver colored Ducati's and Honda's

The "9" is obvious. It's a 2009, and I tend to put the year on the seat cowl on the cafe's I have built.....  Or an important year.  Could also be like a Cat, with nine lives with all the different tuning modifications we have experimented with !  ::) ;D

The four leaf clover, inset in the checker board on the front fender is for luck.... 'cause I need it !

The " GS 535 TT " , seen on the pedestrian slicer and again throughout the Elblemata. Is the man who makes the go fast engine parts.   GS..... G reg S tewart.. AKA "ScooterBob" .  The TT is just a model discription and style if you will ? ....  Like a CB500 TT. The "535" is for Eventual displacment.... MAYBE?!  Because right now I don't think it needs it. AND I was not going to paint the bike TWICE!  :o

The Tank emblem is a gear.... I just like the look of a gear AND  A little inside joke. With the Flag of Ireland and Scotland... our shared Celtic ancestry. The Crown ... British. Again the "TT".

The rear " air scoop " Emblem ... is two machine guns with our initials on the stocks. A cannon or muskets just wouldn't due.  A "BULLET "  in the center, obvious. An Isle of Man symbol.... always lands on it's feet. A micromiter for ScooterBob, and a Hammer for me.  Fitting I think ? And "Built like a Gun"  Instead of  " Made Like A Gun". Because you MAKE a Cake, and you BUILD a Bike.

Some of it anyway......

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 01:17:19 am
Great. I was mystified, no more I am.
I'm susceptible for graphics with lots of content. Very cool and excellently executed, or may I write build?  ;)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:39 am
Those bikes were a terrbile combination of an extremely powerful motor mated to a chassis with, at best, marginal handling.  They just weren't quite as good with steering geometry back in the day.  The idea of those large 2 stroke motors on a street bike seems so weird to me since they've got such a peaky powerband.  It made for some really exciting Moto GP racing to watch but I can't imagine it was easy to ride on the street.

Scott

I have ridden one on the street. Like the muscle cars of the time, they were designed for one purpose. To go fast. I don't think handling was even a consideration. They were also not so great in traffic. But unlike today's sport bikes, they had a fairly reasonable riding position. Where these bikes came into their own was at full throttle on a long stretch of straight road. The high pitched wail of the 2 stroke triple sounded like nothing on earth.

The Yamaha V-Max was a similar concept. Huge power, pipe rack chassis and poor suspension. Again, it was not meant to be a good all around bike. It was meant to go very fast in a straight line. When the V-Boost kicked in around 5000 rpm at full throttle, it was like going into warp drive.

I never cared much about super high speeds, Hayabusa style. Tire shredding acceleration is what I like. One of the reasons I have been hot rodding cars all my life, but leaving my bikes stock, engine wise anyway. I still enjoy burning rubber in a car, but like my bikes to be laid back and relaxing. Despite having had some fast bikes, I find the Enfield very satisfying in a whole different way. It has absolutely nothing to do with performance. It has character and soul, something a modern Japanese bike will never have. Fast bikes come and go. I have a feeling the Enfield will be around for a very long time.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 07:02:06 am
http://www.royalenfields.com/2011/12/royal-enfield-dealer-unveils-flat.html

Here is the Douglas Flat Tracker which is claimed to weight about 235-245 lbs. by the builders. It has custom parts they will sell as a kit late in the year. Honda motocross disk brake wheel-set with axel spacers, Yamaha F-1 forks, custom adjustable triple tree, custom Champion seat. Custom welded box section swing arm with needle bearings, not bushings. Custom head pipe and megaphone exhaust. Flat track tires set. K&N #7 style bars and new custom bar clamps. Old school controls. The weigh taken just off the front end was amazing. The stock bike weight is about 412 lbs. Everything will be bolt on with no fabrication required by the customer.

This bike is the prototype. If interested call them. I saw it at the LA show, then went to the dealer for a close look. Even with the stock motor it should really run well.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 12:36:01 pm

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 03:47:52 pm
Mate, nice work. That is something to be proud of.

I am , and thanks.  Depending on where and how you are riding. I think it's good to get as much of your body out of the wind as you can, the faster you go.... And still be comfortable.  Ducati Scotty turned me on , to what I personally think is the perfect set of Clubman bar's out there for the street. Not TOO low of a drop... but gets you down there a bit. I put them on my CB750 cafe' and are PERFECT for me, without rear sets. And last week I rode up to British Cycle supply and grabbed another one for the Enfield. Again, perfect for me with rear sets. Your height will play a role though...

http://www.britcycle.com/products/Handlebars/521_563.htm

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 06:19:10 pm
If people didn't do things because others thought it wasn't worth it then we would live in a boring world full of stock Bullets.  Many of us, including myself, don't have deep years of motorcycle performance experience but do have the desire to tinker.  Doing some easy mods here and there is great way to start and feels really good when you get it how you imagined. 

Pedro, I bet you can shed some weight between the fenders, muffler, tail light section, and the extra bits.  My DRZ has a battery that is less than half the weight of my Bullets.  I'm sure someone here has gone with a smaller battery.  Maybe you will notice the weight change - maybe not.  Who cares?  If it makes you feel better about the bike, do it.  I don't think my drop bars made my bike faster, but it sure as heck felt faster to me and that is more important than dyno numbers.

One of my favorite Royal Enfields on this site belongs to AgentX and he's definitely taken his machine away from the normal looking Bullet.  It's more my style than the stock, easy going around-town, clean Bullet.  I like those too!, but they aren't what I want to ride.  If you ask me, Agent's bike looks lighter -  Even if it just "looks" lighter.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/MikesBikes/DSC_0042_zps7f50528b.jpg

Do whatever you want to that thing.  Chop it, cut it, paint it like a rainbow.  It's yours.  If you have a question, someone will answer it.  Good guys here.

Bullets are in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck man! -Boggy
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:12 pm
 + 1 !

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 01:42:58 pm

Do whatever you want to that thing.  Chop it, cut it, paint it like a rainbow.  It's yours.  If you have a question, someone will answer it.  Good guys here.

Bullets are in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck man! -Boggy

Thanks mate. Legend.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 01:53:03 pm
If you ask me, Agent's bike looks lighter -  Even if it just "looks" lighter.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/MikesBikes/DSC_0042_zps7f50528b.jpg

Does it look 'shorter' too? Maybe the Classic seat just make mine look like the rear wheel is way back there.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #55 on: April 24, 2014, 02:17:43 pm
Does it look 'shorter' too? Maybe the Classic seat just make mine look like the rear wheel is way back there.
AgentX's bike is an Iron Barrel model, which has the separate gearbox and eternal primary drive. This makes the whole power unit longer, and it fills up the middle section.
The UCE has a shorter unit engine, and the swing arm pivot is moved 2 inches forward, and the swing arm is 2 inches longer, because of this. So that probably accounts for the perception of the longer tail end on the UCE.
Home of the Fireball 535 !