Author Topic: Weight Reduction on a Bullet C5 Classic  (Read 12694 times)

Nixie

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 07:46:27 pm
I think if a guy wants to modify his own property within reasonable limits, that's his choice. Besides power there's a plethora of reasons to choose a bullet over other stronger bikes. It has a charm lacking in most other bikes available for the last 30+ years. To get the same kind of charm you need to look at other British bikes of a similar heritage.

I'd love a Norton, or gold star, but for less, I've got a Fireball, and I don't feel bad about chopping it up and making it my own!

Will be firing the fireball up in a day or two for the first time btw   :D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 08:19:24 pm
I think if a guy wants to modify his own property within reasonable limits, that's his choice. Besides power there's a plethora of reasons to choose a bullet over other stronger bikes. It has a charm lacking in most other bikes available for the last 30+ years. To get the same kind of charm you need to look at other British bikes of a similar heritage.

I'd love a Norton, or gold star, but for less, I've got a Fireball, and I don't feel bad about chopping it up and making it my own!

As you no doubt are aware, Nixie, we are working on a project with Bullet Whisperer's racing 500, which we are hoping will yield a racing Bullet that is a match for any legendary British racing 500 single ever. Perhaps we will even be faster.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 09:04:34 pm

Correct. He has a right to modify it any way he wants. I think many (including myself) cringe at the prospect of chopping up a stock Bullet, even though it is not an actual vintage bike. My first thought was, if you want to modify, get a late model Japanese bike, and have at it. But I also see the Bullet as a fairly fragile bike, one that requires a lot of maintenance and needs to be ridden carefully to prevent it from breaking down. I mean, I've decided not to exceed 60 mph on mine. The idea of trying to get more performance out of a bike that already can't handle the performance it is capable of doesn't make sense to me. But on the other hand, it doesn't need to. I'm sure I do a lot of things that don't make sense to others. Limiting my Bullet to 60 mph may be one of them. Best of luck with your bike  Pedrocas.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Nixie

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 12:25:27 am
I understand completely, Having taken the whole thing to bits this last week, I have seen for myself how fragile it is!

What I see myself doing here though is replacing some of the less than seller Indian parts with those more akin to the original redditch ones (or better, in most cases)

The design isn't inherently weak, it's just a handmade machine that's made to a standard befitting it's lower price bracket.

I think we are lucky to be able to still buy a bike that hasn't changed much since the 50's. 

Though buying a brand new bike and modifying it heavily from the outset doesnt neccesary make sense. Mine was already 10 years old. I have just decided to fix some of the new Indian ideas I didn't agree with (i.e remove electric start) and embrace others like the 5 speed box and LH shift. I've also taken a metric tonne of iron away!

And Ace, I'm looking forward to what you and Paul have come up with for this racer!

Respect to all no matter how they want their steed to be  ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 12:46:16 am
I understand completely, Having taken the whole thing to bits this last week, I have seen for myself how fragile it is!

What I see myself doing here though is replacing some of the less than seller Indian parts with those more akin to the original redditch ones (or better, in most cases)

The design isn't inherently weak, it's just a handmade machine that's made to a standard befitting it's lower price bracket.

I think we are lucky to be able to still buy a bike that hasn't changed much since the 50's. 

Though buying a brand new bike and modifying it heavily from the outset doesnt neccesary make sense. Mine was already 10 years old. I have just decided to fix some of the new Indian ideas I didn't agree with (i.e remove electric start) and embrace others like the 5 speed box and LH shift. I've also taken a metric tonne of iron away!

And Ace, I'm looking forward to what you and Paul have come up with for this racer!

Respect to all no matter how they want their steed to be  ;)

After being intimately involved with all the RE 500 platforms, and modifying them to various extents, I can say that the modified condition is an upgrade in virtually all ways from the factory condition. So, any perceived "weaknesses" of the factory bike are generally addressed with any mods, or mods are done within the expected capacity of the remaining aspects of the stock platform to handle. Modifications can be done at many levels. The more power involved in modification, the more strength and reliability modifications must be done to handle it. This is just the way things are. It requires some experience to do these things, and happily, we have that experience.

Not everybody wants to modify their bikes, but some do.
For those that do want to, there are sound methods and approaches available to do it for various power levels, and also available for improvements of reliability and longevity.

The antique Iron Barrel models are the "weakest and most spindly and fragile" of all the Bullet platforms, and we are able to push them up to over 50 hp, and possibly even 60 hp. So, the more robust and better made UCE platform is not really seen by us as any impediment to making power. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:49:56 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:34 am
I'm confused..........a recent article on the UCE showed a rear wheel horsepower on the dyno of 18 horsepower. If you want more, why would you buy an RE in the first place???
It is what it is....leave it alone and ride. . Two more horse won't get you there faster.

There are many reasons to like the bike, as is or with mods. Isn't that enough? If it helps, when I was 5 i ripped appart all my remote control cars and found one had a better motor than the other, so I switched that into my favourite toy. Why. Because it was fun.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:29 am

Spot on.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:31 am
But I also see the Bullet as a fairly fragile bike, one that requires a lot of maintenance and needs to be ridden carefully to prevent it from breaking down. I mean, I've decided not to exceed 60 mph on mine.

At 185kgs it feels like it could weigh at least 15-20kgs lighter with all the heavy parts. Am fairly new at all this but doesn't that mean that you could reduce the strain on the engine by stripping weight? ie The additional 5-7 HP wont get me higher top speeds, but slightly better acceleration or the same speed at lower output levels?

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:59 am
And I also think there comes a point, when practically speaking , for OUR highways anyway. They're may just be going TOO light.  Before you get blown all over the highway....

I've traded up from scooters so used to it a little. Nothing like riding over Sydney Harbour bridge on a windy day on a 110kg windsail with tiny wheels and getting pushed around in the lane ...  :P

Also, do you have a photo or a link for details of your machine?

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 11:40:45 am
Great discussion on here. Thanks for all your thoughts so far and please keep them coming.

I am new to all this but know one thing for certain, the Bullet was the right bike for me. As soon as I sat on it and turned the engine it was such a kick.

I know I wont win any races or break any speed records but there is nothing wrong with a little curiosity and I am a big fan of the modding communities and also have a lot of respect for the purist approach. Takes understanding, creativity and perseverance and the later takes restraint, patience and dedication. Both camps have great qualities to admire.

All in I will definitely be following the work of many on here as their as there is a lot to learn.

Cheers,
Pedro

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 06:46:59 pm
I like the weight of the Enfield. Feels solid and planted. I have ridden my XT225 dual sport on the highway at 60 mph, and it does feel like it might get blown away. It probably weighs about half of what the Enfield does, but has about the same max hp. The difference is the XT's max hp is at a much higher rpm than the Enfields. The Enfield feels like a locomotive, you get the feeling it could just plow right through anything and keep going. I think most of that feeling comes from it's weight, and slow revving heavy flywheel motor.

Normally I do not like revvy motors. The one exception is 2 strokes. I would love to have a '70s Kawasaki H2 triple. But they cost more than a nice vintage Triumph.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:22 pm
And you may die on one! I tried to buy a 500 back in 77' or so, no one would sell me insurance at any price.
Roverman..... yes, i was young and dumb once. ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 07:36:16 pm
I've traded up from scooters so used to it a little. Nothing like riding over Sydney Harbour bridge on a windy day on a 110kg windsail with tiny wheels and getting pushed around in the lane ...  :P

Also, do you have a photo or a link for details of your machine?

Here you go......

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=16128.0
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 07:52:52 pm
The one exception is 2 strokes. I would love to have a '70s Kawasaki H2 triple.

Those bikes were a terrbile combination of an extremely powerful motor mated to a chassis with, at best, marginal handling.  They just weren't quite as good with steering geometry back in the day.  The idea of those large 2 stroke motors on a street bike seems so weird to me since they've got such a peaky powerband.  It made for some really exciting Moto GP racing to watch but I can't imagine it was easy to ride on the street.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 22, 2014, 08:00:19 pm
  Here you go......

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=16128.0

8) 8)
Wow, super.
So much attention to detail: museum quality, and yet it lives.  ;D

I'm intrigued by the emblemata: what and who, if possible?
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt