Author Topic: Weight Reduction on a Bullet C5 Classic  (Read 12731 times)

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
on: April 20, 2014, 02:36:04 am
Hi There,

I recently bought a RE Bullet, C5 Classic 2012. UCE EFI.
Chance encounter to be honest, I had my scooter stolen and after a few months of searching for alternatives I came across a Bullet. I didn't think we had a distributor in Australia and bought it next day. It's an amazing bike, alot of fun to ride.

I was thinking about future plans and looking at performance. Since I'm a massive rookie at all this, I wasn't looking to mess with the engine and the first place I was looking at was weight reductions on the bike.

For example, the front and rear wheel guards feel like plate steel. Also removing some of the tool boxes and moving the wiring / filters under seat.

If there is someone with experience with this could you let me know where a good place to start would be? What weight reduction can safely be made and what impact that will have on overall performance.

I'm new to all this so any advice here would be helpful.

Cheers,
Pedro

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 02:55:56 am
One of the first things to consider replacing would be the silencer (if this is legal where you live).
The stock unit is quite heavy and replacing it with a aftermarket unit could easily save 8 pounds.

Removing the mud guards will reduce weight but if you ride in the wet it may not be the best idea.

Removing the tool boxes saves a few pounds but it exposes a lot of important electrical equipment to the elements.  Not a good idea on a computerized fuel injected bike.

Removing the air filter is (IMO) being pennywise and pound foolish.
  Yes it might save a pound or so but your engine will be breathing dirt which will rapidly wear out the piston, piston rings and cylinder bore.

Your Royal Enfield is an old fashioned motorcycle with a newly designed engine in it.
That redesign increased the horsepower about 27 percent but as you've found, the machine is still far from a crotch rocket.

Ace (a forum member) is working on developing parts that will greatly increase the horsepower but it comes with a large price and a complete rebuild of the engine (whenever he finally gets it ready for release).

My suggestion is to just ride and enjoy the RE for what it is.  A true classic in the old British style.
It's dependable.  It gets great fuel economy and any oldtimer who can remember his early years will instantly become friendly. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 03:36:02 am
Buy a Kawasaki Ninja 300 for $4700 and go rip. It weighs 385 lbs 40HP with a full tank. It will not disappoint you. Or wait for the new soon to arrive Yamaha FZ-07 at $6500 and 395 lbs 75HP. Rips more.  The RE is what it is and thank God for that. Enjoy it for what it is. The secret of life is knowing what something is, and more important, what it is not. Limits frustration.

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 03:44:23 am
Hi Pedro,
Firstly congrats! Another Enfield owner from Australia. Where you from? Perth here.

I've had similar thoughts about longer term plans for my 2013 classic chrome but kept arriving at a similar suggestion to Arizoni in that 'it is what it is', a well styled bike with years of refinement.
Everything seems to have its logical place and there's nothing I'd be comfortable removing besides the stock pipe and a new tail light configuration.
Remove the mudguards at your own peril though as besides the streak of dirt and water you'll have up your back, the police here are pretty quick to slap a yellow sticker on fender eliminators and the like.
The bike is pretty light as it is so any further refinement would be negligible and probably wouldn't yield the results you were looking for.

So for now, enjoy the machine for what it is, a nicely sculptured timepiece that may not get you the tonne that you're looking for, but has many other charms that appeal - the Enfield permagrin is one, and yes, it's an old man magnet (something I'm not always convinced is a positive, particularly seeing Indian taxi drivers swerve through traffic so they can pull alongside and chat about their own Enfield days)

Having said all of the above though, I'll likely wait until the two year warranty is up and then start it on a bobber project journey.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:02 am
If you want performance, I agree. Buy a high performance bike. Performance was the last thing I was looking for when I bought my Enfield. I wanted a vintage ride. And that is what I got. I do not ever plan to exceed 60 mph with it, and do not see that as a problem. Future plans do include a new exhaust and replacing the EFI with a carb, to make it even more vintage, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm having plenty of fun riding it as is. Even a Honda Rebel 250 (yes I used to own one) will completely blow the Bullet away on the highway. But it sounds and feels like a sewing machine.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:03 am
Buy a Kawasaki Ninja 300 for $4700 and go rip. It weighs 385 lbs 40HP with a full tank. It will not disappoint you. Or wait for the new soon to arrive Yamaha FZ-07 at $6500 and 395 lbs 75HP. Rips more.  The RE is what it is and thank God for that. Enjoy it for what it is. The secret of life is knowing what something is, and more important, what it is not. Limits frustration.

Thanks Professor. but I think you have me all wrong on this. I go to work for frustration and I ride my motorbike for fun  ;D ... and I definitely know there are 'faster' bikes out there. I'm not interested in a fast bike, just trying to get a little more out of the Enfield.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:54:29 am
Even a Honda Rebel 250 (yes I used to own one) will completely blow the Bullet away on the highway. But it sounds and feels like a sewing machine.

I did sit on a Suzuki TU250X and had the same feeling. Not the type of bike I wanted.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 10:08:20 am
Firstly congrats! Another Enfield owner from Australia. Where you from? Perth here.

Thanks mate, all the way over the other side of the country. Sydney ways.

Having said all of the above though, I'll likely wait until the two year warranty is up and then start it on a bobber project journey.

This is kind of why I am looking for a few ideas, I have seen a lot of custom work on RE's, mostly overseas, I bought a second hand bike and it has 6 months of warranty on it so beyond that I may look to do something. More like a hobby. I'm keen to know more about bikes and getting dirty and trying a few things seems like the way to do it.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:49 am
Ace (a forum member) is working on developing parts that will greatly increase the horsepower but it comes with a large price and a complete rebuild of the engine (whenever he finally gets it ready for release).

Thanks for the tips Arizoni, I've been following Ace's work on the Fireball but know there are somethings to sort out for the EFI. Also, given i'm not that experienced on the mechanics I think the chance of doing the work or finding someone in Australia that can do the Fireball mod could be a long time coming yet and cost me through the teeth. :-\

All in at this stage is more about researching ideas for what could be on the to do list.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 01:03:17 pm
Thanks for the tips Arizoni, I've been following Ace's work on the Fireball but know there are somethings to sort out for the EFI. Also, given i'm not that experienced on the mechanics I think the chance of doing the work or finding someone in Australia that can do the Fireball mod could be a long time coming yet and cost me through the teeth. :-\

All in at this stage is more about researching ideas for what could be on the to do list.
If you are mostly after external mods that bolt on, or can be taken off, then you can pick a free flow kit that is known to work well on other users' bikes, and adds some power while taking away the weight. As Arizoni mentions, the stock silencer is very heavy, and it also is quite restrictive to the engine.  Pick one that flows as free as you can tolerate for loudness. Fewer baffles will weigh less, and also be less restrictive. Finding an air filter element for your existing air box system that is better at free-flowing than the stock unit, while retaining good filtration would also be good. These things combined can be good for up to about 3-4 hp increase, and would be well worth the time and effort to research them and choose them. It will not only give more power for more effortless highway speeds, but it will improve fuel economy, and it will help the bike run cooler. It's what we call "the low-hanging fruit" in the performance world. It's the stuff that gives good results that are easy things to do, and don't cost a lot. After that is all done, getting more power begins to get more expensive and invasive to the engine.

If you ever do decide to do things to the engine, it will need to have the free-flowing intake and exhaust mods on it anyway, to take advantage of the engine mods. It doesn't have to be expensive, either. Several owners have the Emgo exhaust silencers of various types, and they are under $100. Finding a good quality filter replacement that flows well will probably cost less than $15.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:06:44 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 01:32:51 pm
"This is kind of why I am looking for a few ideas, I have seen a lot of custom work on RE's, mostly overseas, I bought a second hand bike and it has 6 months of warranty on it so beyond that I may look to do something."

Unless RE has changed its policy since I sold my C5 last year, the factory warranty is not transferable.... :(

Chester County, PA
2021 Moto Guzzi V7 850

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 01:37:01 pm
Pedrocas,
Welcome to the group!  You are on the right track.  A quick way to lose weight is to replace the front fender with a lighter weight skinny chrome fender from an older 500 cc iron barrel bullet.....there are lots of folks on EBay selling these.  The tail light contraption can also be replaced (that does weigh a lot), and there are a few who have put lighter cafe seats and shorter rear fenders.  If you search.  Gashousegorilla has done a spectacular job of weight reduction and you may want to look at his build in this section.  I have the lighter front fender and a plastic Triumph Thruxton seat on mine.  Have fun with your C5!

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 03:58:48 pm
quote: Arizoni + 1
(My suggestion is to just ride and enjoy the RE for what it is.  A true classic in the old British style.
It's dependable.  It gets great fuel economy and any oldtimer who can remember his early years will instantly become friendly. )

as suggested by GSS...Take a look at Gashousegorillas different kinds of mods and the exciting work he has done and continues to do on his C5..really a piece of functioning art....I've used the emgo muffler myself and love the sound and the slight performance increase it's given me....feels better too...have fun with your C5 and welcome to the forum.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 05:24:22 pm
If I were looking to lower weight on mine I'd start by dieting, I love the bike for what it is.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 08:32:50 pm
If I were looking to lower weight on mine I'd start by dieting, I love the bike for what it is.

You and I seem to think a lot alike. At 230 I could certainly stand to loose some weight. Performance wise, I intend to leave my bike alone. I didn't buy it for performance. The only changes I eventually want to make are to replace the exhaust with something lighter and better looking, and to replace the EFI with a carb. The EFI is working fine, and may continue to do so for a long time. But being a vintage vehicle enthusiast, I'm the KISS type, and carbs appeal to me.

I have built several cars of the hot rod variety, but have never done anything to try and increase the performance of a bike, at least for more speed and power. I did by a used Yamaha XT225 dual sport for $1500, then spent another $2000 on it in mods, including a $600 rear shock, and $200 on new front fork internals. Given my weight, this dramatically increased the suspension performance. But aside from a rejetted carb, the engine is still stone stock, exhaust and all.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson