Author Topic: Weight Reduction on a Bullet C5 Classic  (Read 12736 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:08 pm
I agree with others here, the RE is what it is.  The biggest performance mod I can do for my bike is to lose some weight myself.  However, this person managed to lose some lbs. from his bike, you might find some suggestions there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhmluI2E60
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:49:07 pm by azcatfan »
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:30:00 pm
Unless RE has changed its policy since I sold my C5 last year, the factory warranty is not transferable.... :(

Mmm .. bought it from a dealership too. Sounds like I need to look at the fine print.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 11:39:04 pm
Warranties are made by the company that imports the motorcycle.

In the US, the warranty is not transferable.  In other countries it might be.
It's a good idea to read the fine print.  Your mileage may vary.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 11:46:37 pm
A lithium battery will save you several lbs. Mine weighs 1.7lbs and spins the starter just fine.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2014, 11:53:44 pm
However, this person managed to lose some lbs. from his bike, you might find some suggestions there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwhmluI2E60

Thanks dude. Shame he didn't mention what weight saves he made on the mud guards.

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:58:01 am
In the US, the warranty is not transferable.  In other countries it might be.

OK, I think we are good here.  :)

"Warranty shall be in force until the expiry of a period of 24 months from the first date of the sale to the first customer and to any subsequent owners for the balance of the remaining period ..."

Pedrocas

• Scooter
  • It's not you. It's me.
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:01 am
Gashousegorilla has done a spectacular job of weight reduction and you may want to look at his build in this section.  I have the lighter front fender and a plastic Triumph Thruxton seat on mine.  Have fun with your C5!

Thanks for the info GSS.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 05:47:53 am
Hi There,

I recently bought a RE Bullet, C5 Classic 2012. UCE EFI.
Chance encounter to be honest, I had my scooter stolen and after a few months of searching for alternatives I came across a Bullet. I didn't think we had a distributor in Australia and bought it next day. It's an amazing bike, alot of fun to ride.

I was thinking about future plans and looking at performance. Since I'm a massive rookie at all this, I wasn't looking to mess with the engine and the first place I was looking at was weight reductions on the bike.

For example, the front and rear wheel guards feel like plate steel. Also removing some of the tool boxes and moving the wiring / filters under seat.

If there is someone with experience with this could you let me know where a good place to start would be? What weight reduction can safely be made and what impact that will have on overall performance.

I'm new to all this so any advice here would be helpful.

Cheers,
Pedro

You COULD loose a LOT of weight off the bike.  Certainly the things mentioned above. Ummmmm , but keeping the stock "Look" of the bike would be the challenge if that is what your after.   The tool boxes could go, and use the Oval tool box for your new electrical box. The intake you could use a pod or a filter of your choice..... Contrary to popular opinion, they work as long as you tune for them. The MASSIVE heavy , wind catching/shaking combination of the rear fender, fender stays and tail light... Sail light ! On the C-5 would be an area I would look into.  Definitely the Exhaust !  Not just the muffler, but that double wall header is not only restrictive, it's heavy too !  Again, you would probably have to tune for the change on the exhaust if you want it optimized, with TPS adjustment or something like a PC-V.  Or run the risk of your air fuel ratio being too lean and loosing performace.  Your plug will tell ya.  You can easily pick up a couple/few HP with intake and exhaust changes.  But you HAVE to tune for them. Unless you just stick on an after market muffler, and nothing else... you may get away with it.

As far as really wanting to make a difference?  It's gonna take motor work. Head, port work, combustion chamber, cams , compression, piston, valve springs, rev extension etc. And your can get these bikes in the mid 30's at the rear wheel.  A bit more with some more  displacement..   For the above, GHG would look up Scooterbob on the forum, or get in touch will him at Go Moto out in the frozen ... now thawing , Tundra of Minisnowta . ;D

Ummmmm .... Ninja 300 ?  I would certainly like to do a little stop light to stop light test with one of those ? ....While the guy is trying to ring the neck out of that throttle to get it going ::) 8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:54:47 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 02:01:40 pm
I'm confused..........a recent article on the UCE showed a rear wheel horsepower on the dyno of 18 horsepower. If you want more, why would you buy an RE in the first place???
It is what it is....leave it alone and ride. . Two more horse won't get you there faster.
Like the guy said....20 horsepower will get you anywhere in the world....the rest is just "wheel spin" !!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 02:17:34 pm
I'm confused..........a recent article on the UCE showed a rear wheel horsepower on the dyno of 18 horsepower. If you want more, why would you buy an RE in the first place???
It is what it is....leave it alone and ride. . Two more horse won't get you there faster.
Like the guy said....20 horsepower will get you anywhere in the world....the rest is just "wheel spin" !!

I think a lot of the guys would like a little longer legs on the highway, especially in metro areas where cagers are constantly doing 80+ mph around them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:50 pm
If that's the kind of riding you want.........you're on the wrong bike !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 03:12:55 pm
Everyone telling Pedrocas that it is what it is and leave it alone, lighten up!  Just because someone else's mods don't suit your tastes doesn't make them completely null and void. 

If you want to keep the stock look but shed some weight, look at getting aluminum fenders and an aftermarket exhaust.  You can get batteries that are much lighter and smaller, maybe even relocate it and ditch the stock battery box.  You can remove the tool boxes as long as you find somewhere else to put what's inside.  As already mentioned, some intake and exhaust work will give you a bit more power but not that much.  You can also look into relacing the wheels onto aluminum rims. Lightening rotating mass gives big gains.

And anyone who says a C5 can't be fast, take a look at Gorilla's bike.  Not easy but it ain't slow either.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:43 pm
Everyone telling Pedrocas that it is what it is and leave it alone, lighten up!  Just because someone else's mods don't suit your tastes doesn't make them completely null and void. 

If you want to keep the stock look but shed some weight, look at getting aluminum fenders and an aftermarket exhaust.  You can get batteries that are much lighter and smaller, maybe even relocate it and ditch the stock battery box.  You can remove the tool boxes as long as you find somewhere else to put what's inside.  As already mentioned, some intake and exhaust work will give you a bit more power but not that much.  You can also look into relacing the wheels onto aluminum rims. Lightening rotating mass gives big gains.

And anyone who says a C5 can't be fast, take a look at Gorilla's bike.  Not easy but it ain't slow either.

Scott

I agree.
If a Bullet is what a person likes, and it just lacks some ooomff to do certain things that they need to do, there's no reason to not adjust its capabilities.
It can be done, and then you have a Bullet that does what you need.
Simple as that.

Of course, if a person isn't really attached to the Bullet, and would be just as happy on a Ninja or a KTM or a Triumph, then he might go out and trade it in for one of them.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:50:24 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 06:22:39 pm
Everyone telling Pedrocas that it is what it is and leave it alone, lighten up!   

Scott

Lighten up he says..... :o ;D   Ahhhhhhh.... One could go on and on. But if they HAVE to ask ?  Probably don't get it anyway. 

And speaking of lightening up, I really have no idea of what my bike weighs ?  I mean I got an idea.... sure I must lost some poundage?  But I gotta do that....
And I also think there comes a point, when practically speaking , for OUR highways anyway. They're may just be going TOO light.  Before you get blown all over the highway....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: April 21, 2014, 07:19:47 pm
If you keep the stock frame I don't think you're in danger of being too light, even if you cut off a few pieces.

Scott