Author Topic: Tail Pipe Damage  (Read 3375 times)

windhorserider

• Rider of The Windhorse.
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather be in New Orleans.
on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:11 pm
I was riding and took a stop. When I got back on I noticed a different sound, a friction squeak and a different "thump" from the exhaust.  I rode home and started the investigation. The pipe had broken under the heat cover all the way around. The bike is just now a year old with 7,200 miles.  It has spent almost 3 months of its first year in the shop (mostly, I'm told, "waiting on parts"). Yes, under warranty, but still.
So my question is, do I buy the NFieldGear EFI Silencer (which, truth be told, I was eyeing anyway) and just wait for it to reach me, or is it back to the shop for another warranty job? You, ladies and gentlemen, who have gotten the EFI what do you think? And if anyone has any speculation as to how this happened in the first place: please speculate.
And know regardless: I really like the bike.
Thanks.   
2013 Bullet B5
2007 Ruckus
Past Rides:
CL360, CB750K, CX500C, XS1100, KE100, HD Panhead, Goldwing

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:04:16 am
While waiting for my RE to be delivered, I ordered an EFI pipe and K&N filter. Once the bike was delivered, the stock pipe was used for about a week. I changed the pipe first. The difference is there and you can feel it. The bike has better throttle response, accelerates and generally runs better with the EFI. My pipe in 200 miles has not yellowed, nor turned blue. Looks like the day I bolted it on.

The air filters were a bit different. No real difference in the K&N and stock that I could say I honestly felt. Again no discoloration on my pipe with this change. The bike's ECU adapted seamlessly so far. Air filters are an issue that is personal. I kept the K&N. Others choose not to use them. But the EFI pipe, though expensive was worth it in terms of weight reduction and performance improvement.

Will it last as long as stock?? I don't know.

Sound. Louder. With the baffle out it is loud. I rode 30 miles and put the baffle back in. Why, it gave me a headache even with ear plugs. Baffle in, I noticed no real difference in power over no baffle.  Maybe a bit more torque with the baffle in. But that is subjective on my part. Power wise no difference. Acceleration the same.  Headache is gone. It is loud enough to pleasantly sound like British motorcycle, but not intrusive. Excellent compromise.

Your muffler is part of the Indian quality control manufacturing epic. Poor quality welds and metallurgy in parts where you can scrimp. Add to this single cylinder vibration and ....bang! I have a friend who rides scooters, his two Stellas went great until 6000 miles, then gently began to fail. I think the RE is better than a Stella given the new manufacturing plant.

As for the pipe, if you have the money, buy one. It looks great on the bike. Perfect balance of style and sound. It is a straight bolt off and on after you remove the heat shield from the old muffler.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:27:11 am by Professor »

i.candide

• Bulleteer
  • Romancing the Life
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:32:27 am
Romancing the life
On a 2015 Military Green C5
In Southern California

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:52:48 am
Hi WindHorseRider,

Look at the DandD exhaust made specially for the RE:
http://www.danddexhaust.com/content/2008-2014-royal-enfield-bullet-500-upswept-slip
http://www.danddexhaust.com/content/2008-2014-royal-enfield-bullet-500-straight-slip
They cost more, but worth it.

Those dyno curves on the D&D website are SO revealing.
The stock bike is plugged up at both ends. It's about done by 4250 rpm. No wonder it doesn't like going over 65 mph.
And even when it is unplugged, it isn't breathing well. Even with free-flow mods, it really can't even make it to 5000 rpm.
These bikes have just about everything aimed at the low rpm range. But free-flowing it on both ends does help some.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:59:07 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 02:43:36 am
IMO, the failure was caused by several things.

The metal selected for this area is too thin to begin with and it is further thinned by the radical degree of shaping that was done to form the piece.  (There are no welds in the area so all of this shaping was done with dies).

The high temperature of the metal at this location further weakens it while the motorcycle is being ridden.
In this weakened condition the vibration of the engine further weakens the material leading to its failure.

This same problem has been reported on several RE's and the failure is usually in the same general location.
RE really needs to redesign this area if they are going to continue to use these catalytic silencers.
(making the piece in two split halves along the pipes centerline and then welding them together would allow the metal to maintain much of its original thickness and greatly increase the strength of the part.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:29:18 am
I went to Dallas to a Mods and Rockers event. While there on a group ride I traded with a C5 owner who had a D&D head pipe and megaphone on his bike. Otherwise, he said it was stock. The D&D system is very well made, nice fit and finish. It looks like the custom after market exhaust it is. It is loud. The group of fifteen riders or so was split between the Retro look of the English made EFI system and the newer look of the D&D. The D&D was about $500. After about fifteen to twenty miles into the swap, I was tired of the noise. At crusing speed not bad, but through the gears in town loud. And the up-turned model blast right into you right ear. So, some guys might love the noise. But others in the group wanted the sound and look of a classic British bike and choose the EFI. A few (two) had the tulip shaped mufflers, also loud. As for performance I did not notice much if any difference. Neither did he on the swap. Neither system is going to make any real big gains. Even the guys at Forth Worth RE, told me it was a weight issue and a small improvement over stock. But you can feel the difference over a stock muffler. Yes, you can.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 03:42:31 am
I have had 6 weeks to think things over since buying my new 2013 B5. I like the EFI exhaust, but have heard it is no better quality wise than the stock pipe. There is one review on it, and it is not good. Right now I still have the stock pipe. I'm not crazy about the looks, and I would like a bit more sound. But, I never plan to exceed 60 mph, so I am not looking for more performance. I will probably keep the stock pipe for now, if it breaks while under warranty, I will have it replaced, and use it till it breaks out of warranty. At that point I will probably go with something not made by RE. I will also likely replace the FI system with a carb conversion from Hitchcocks, but will use the FI as long as it is under warranty. The 24 month warranty was one of the deciding factors in buying the bike, mostly for the engine.

I am used to Japanese bikes where the stock exhaust lasts forever (at least here in AZ) so the concept of an exhaust actually breaking after a short period of use is not something I'm used to. I could more easily understand mechanical problems, but something as simple as an exhaust?

As for K&N air filters, as a former auto mechanic with 36 years experience, and an amateur drag racer, my personal opinion is that they are total junk, and are almost completely useless as a filter. They do flow a lot of air, but they also flow a lot of dirt, compared to a stock filter. They are basically racing parts, and not suitable for use on the street. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:25:35 am
You can use darn near any muffler you want - if it fits.. Mine runs great with a 1960's British cocktail shaker, with very little baffle. Put on something you like, that fits & looks good. No need to spend a fortune. Many other forum members here run non stock & non EFI mufflers.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:28 am
hitchcocks efi muffler is very good - i had one on each of my 3 previous uce's

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 06:33:46 am
I like the EFI exhaust, but have heard it is no better quality wise than the stock pipe. There is one review on it, and it is not good.

That is false. It is way superior than the OEM silencer - quality, build, chrome plating, strength. I have never heard of the Hitchcocks EFI silencer failing. Many people have it. I yet have to come across a forum topic where the EFI silencer has failed  :-\

I've had my EFI silencer on the bike for about 9000mi, without the baffle. No issues till now. The following picture was taken mid-February this year:

Barely any discolouration, besides the nice tinge of tan at the back of the silencer and at the header/silencer joint. But it is hidden by the heatshield  :D

You wouldn't be disappointed with this silencer. That review would be a one off thing. Very uncommon with english silencers.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:41:43 am
I agree it is very good system. The one failure mentioned is on the Nfieldgear site. Rusted through where the internal baffle screen is attached near the front of the muffler. I've never heard of more than that. And only once. Your system has held up quite well. Looks like it belongs on the bike.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 06:47:08 am
Your system has held up quite well. Looks like it belongs on the bike.

Thanks Prof. I'm quite happy with this unit. I have like 4 different 'bottle' type silencers lying under my bed that I have tried out on the Bullet, lol. Out of all, this english unit has been the best, sound wise and aesthetically. It is just my personal preference to have a 'bottle' type silencer. I love others too though!  8)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 03:30:26 am
windhorserider

I had what looked like the same failure on my G5.  When the nuts holding the exhaust pipe to the exhaust port vibrated off, the pipe fell and the silencer came apart due to the stress (?).  Looked like the picture you posted.  Took it all off, found some metric nuts and lock washers, had my dear friend the welder put the silencer back together and reassembled it all.  Been running great since.  I do now regularly checked for lose nuts (on the bike) and all seems to be okay.  When it came apart, had my 12 year old was in the car and we were crossing a bridge.  She shouted at me that the engine was on fire but otherwise took it well.  Ain't life an adventure?
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 04:43:47 am
I was riding and took a stop. When I got back on I noticed a different sound, a friction squeak and a different "thump" from the exhaust.  I rode home and started the investigation. The pipe had broken under the heat cover all the way around. The bike is just now a year old with 7,200 miles.  It has spent almost 3 months of its first year in the shop (mostly, I'm told, "waiting on parts"). Yes, under warranty, but still.
So my question is, do I buy the NFieldGear EFI Silencer (which, truth be told, I was eyeing anyway) and just wait for it to reach me, or is it back to the shop for another warranty job? You, ladies and gentlemen, who have gotten the EFI what do you think? And if anyone has any speculation as to how this happened in the first place: please speculate.
And know regardless: I really like the bike.
Thanks.

Gawd.... get anything other then the stock one!  But of course if you like the stock one, and the idea of a cat in the muffler ? .... nothing wrong with that either. Personally I would cut it open and see if there is any platinum in there and cash it in!  ::)  But it should NOT break like that.  And should be under warranty, not sure about bikes, But I believe emission system components on Cars are for 5 years and 50,000 miles.  As stated above.... WEIGHT, heat , vibration probably did it in.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 02:35:05 am
Got mine used from a private party (even though it only had 31.5 miles on it) so no warranty.   :(  Still having fun with it and would buy another if the wife hadn't gone out and bought her sisters Yamaha..... Sure ain't gonna complain since she paid for it.   :) :) :) But I gotta put a car on it.   ;)
2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem