Author Topic: Oil Change  (Read 5126 times)

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 05:32:01 am
Nfield gear has them. Six filters plus all "O" rings. Enough for at least six filter changes and ???? "O" ring changes.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:09:49 pm
Call Nfieldgear.
The 5 pack + packing's is a kit they invented so it is very unlikely you would find it on the net unless someone had bought it and wanted to sell it.

It's best to call them anyway rather than to try to use their computer web site because often they are out of various things and their web site won't tell you.

Their number is 1-800-358-0938
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 04:09:28 pm
 My dealer had the foresight to drain the factory oil before delivery but i still caught some debris in the screen.
Roverman.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:50 pm
Thanks, I just called and ordered the 5 pack.

My dealer may have changed the oil as well. I found almost nothing in it, or in the screen, or on the magnetic drain plugs. Nothing metal anyway, I'm still puzzled about that piece of string, and wondering if there is anymore in there. I don't think  it would fit through the oil pickup screen, but if it were already up in the engine, it looks like it might be able to plug up an oil passage.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:03 pm
On my first oil change, I found quite a bit of clothlike stuff on the pump inlet screen.  It wasn't a string or even a piece of solid woven cloth.  It was more like a cotton felt.

There was so much of it that I called my dealer and asked him if I possibly damaged the engine due to a lack of oil.  His answer was basically, "If the pump inlet was plugged enough that the oil pressure was dangerously low, you wouldn't have been riding the motorcycle.  The hydraulic valve lifters would have collapsed and made so much noise you would think the engine was about to grenade.  Don't worry about it."

Anyway, on all of the later oil changes I've never seen a trace of any clothlike material on the inlet screen.
Metal chips?  Yes, but no cloth. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:28 pm
Those are disposable shop towels.  They're made of a thick, papery like substance.  Apparently the RE factory is a big buyer of these. :)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:31:49 am
I forgot to mention I also found some of that stuff on the screen. Looked like cotton out of an aspirin bottle. I did not find any on the second oil change, but it still bothers me a bit that some could still be in there, and maybe partially plugged up an oil passage. I know a guy who destroyed his Sportster engine once, by installing fancy oil lines with chrome fittings. The fittings were just slightly to small. The engine was getting almost enough oil, but not quite. He rode it for close to a year that way before it finally seized up on a hot summer day.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:33 am
I also do the first oil change I found in the brass filter a piece of cloth and a chip big enough.
When I change the oil when the engine is hot , I remove the spark plug also .
After the first draining , incline the motorcycle forward and backward by lifting the front wheel .
With this operation, already out a lot of oil .
Then I turn the crankshaft moving the crank to start it all with ease due to the lack of the candle.
Even with this operation is a lot of oil down .
Generally change the oil in the morning late, and finish the whole operation after lunch , so the oil has time to drain.
Remount the plugs and oil filter again and get back tatt oil as it came out (usually 1.8-2 L.) .
Before you start , however, I turn with the crank to start the engine to charge the oil pump and the hydraulic tappets and still put into circulation the new oil.
Finally I mount the spark plug and put in motion the engine for the final inspection.
Many mechanics do run the engine with spark plug removed to give way to the new oil to reach all points of lubrication.
Annulla modifiche
Il tuo contributo sarà utilizzato per migliorare la qualità della traduzione e può essere mostrato agli utenti in modo anonimoContribuisciChiudiGrazie per l'invio.  Please help Google Translate improve quality for your language here.
Google Traduttore per il Business:Translator ToolkitTraduttore di siti webStrumento a supporto dell'exportTrascina e rilascia il file o il link qui per tradurre il documento o la pagina web.
Trascina e rilascia il link qui per tradurre la pagina web.
Il tipo di file che rilasci non è supportato. Prova altri tipi di file.
Il tipo di link che rilasci non è supportato. Prova altri tipi di link.
Disattiva traduzione istantaneaInformazioni su Google TraduttorePer cellulariPrivacy

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 05:28:16 pm
I am, and have, been fascinated by the translator program caricabasso. It is like the ultimate neo poetry...... "Then i turn the crankshaft moving the crank to start it all with ease due to the lack of the candle"..... Holy crap! 8) 8) 8).
Sincerely, Roverman.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 06:11:23 pm
Yes, great translator.  It always gets the message across but with just a little too much flourish.

Scott

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:26 pm
Try a manual for a chinese bike. Die you might if not killed or wounded, seriously.

:o
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:36 pm
Who wrote that?  Yoda?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 08:09:35 pm
 ;D

But in all fairness: the documentation that comes with the bike is comprehensive: a user's manual, a complete parts list and a workshop manual. The full works.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 08:41:57 pm
There are very few actual Enfield parts that show up on EBay. There are a few accessories, but actual parts pretty much come through CMW, to a dealer. There is a history there. CMW used to sell bike parts basically over the counter to anyone who wanted them. The Dealers started complaining because they were losing money in these deals. CMW then split up the company into two separate entities, NField Gear for accessories and actual motorcycle parts would come from CMW strictly through dealers. Made the dealers happier.
Bare

Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com