Author Topic: Patch galvanized steel with JB Weld?  (Read 10546 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: April 19, 2014, 06:00:02 pm
Our galvanized steel watering can was left out this winter, with water in it.  The ice bowed the bottom out, which I battered back into place without making holes, I think, but the weld (braze? solder?) where the bottom of the spout attaches is broken.  The bottom of the spout is about 1 inch from the bottom of the can, and that 1 inch of metal between the bottom of the can and the bottom of the spout is also split open, a straight vertical crack between the bottom and the spout.

Can I use JB Weld to repair these holes?  I can try to reshape the can to minimize the crack openings and try to seal it from one side only, or I can leave the cracks a bit wide to allow the stuff to squeeze through and connect on both sides.

Any thoughts?  The consensus near me is that I won't be able to repair it by soldering...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:52:41 pm
  IIRC galvanized is a fancy name for zinc plated.

Carburettors are made from zamak #3 which is a zinc alloy.
 The float bowls on two of my motorcycles are sealed inside and out with J-B weld so I would think it would bond with your galvanized watering can.
 Just make sure the surfaces are sanded clean and decgreased with something like acetone or whatever you have that leaves no residue before repair.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:11:47 pm
I would try the JB weld. I have used two part epoxy glue ( brown glue) to patch leak from a rust hole in a dishwasher galvanized tub. It's been holding water for a few years.... But no garrenties.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:33 pm
The JB should work fine.  Just remember to do what Ice suggested about making sure all of the surfaces are totally clean and grease free.

If your going to leave a large gap in the joints then work the JB down into the crack and add some on both sides of the metal if possible.

If your going to try to reduce the size of the gap then don't bother to fill it.  If the epoxy is too narrow, it won't have any strength and will just crack.  The stuff on the surface will do all of the sealing.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:33 pm
Thanks, guys... I'll probably give it a try!  All it has to do is hold a couple gallons of water for a short time period.

New cans like this one are really junk, and butt-ugly, or very expensive, so I'd like to salvage this one if I can...