Author Topic: B5 Saddle Bag Mounting  (Read 1433 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:42 pm
Ok, I've had these cheap bags mounted for awhile.  At first I threw them over the fender, but they scuffed the paint (surprise, surprise!):

So I scrapped the yoke, and bolted just the attachment edges to the bike - works pretty well, with both the OEM seat and my solo seat and rack:

The strap keeps the bags stable.

What I've just discovered is that the way the bags rest on the fender supports, they kind of turn in towards the back, so they interfere with the swing arm movement: the lower shock mount acorn nuts rub against the bottom edges of both bags, and on the right side, the axle nut and brake wear indicator are really rubbing, to the point where they're damaging the bags.  Not sure why I never noticed it before, but I'd like to take care of it:

I'm thinking of installing a simple "stand-off" bar, which would attach to the rear seat bolt (or the rear rack bolt, depending on which I have installed), and with a slight outward bend, extend straight down across the outside of the lower fender support (with something to protect the support from chafing), as far as the bottom of the bag.  This would change the angle and clear the up-and-down-moving parts, and the straps would still secure the bags.

I'm thinking maybe some aluminum bar stock, 1 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick, and long enough to suit.  I could either paint it black, or try to find some black anodized, which I would still have to touch up with paint where I "adjust" it.

Any thoughts?  Any recommendations for sourcing this stuff, or other ideas?

On the other hand, some sort of spacer attached in the correct spot to the bags themselves would accomplish the same thing, but if I remove the bags, I won't have that unsightly bar hanging down...

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:08 pm
The B5 UCE is more or less the same body and sub-frame as the older Iron Barrel, right?  If so you could try something like I did.  Less than $5 at a hardware store...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17969.0.html
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 04:35:03 am
What a great solution! I have a couple of sets of bags and those mounts look like they would work for both!