Author Topic: EZPass placement on a Bullet C5  (Read 2552 times)

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
on: April 15, 2014, 08:48:20 pm
Not sure if this is "tech" or not, but it seems the closest to the topic.

Where do you put an EZPass on a C5?

I'm not sure if all EZPasses are the same, so here's a pic of the one I was issued.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:25:54 pm by Philatawgrapher »

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:22:44 pm
My ezpass is slightly differently shaped but similar.

I used to wear it around my neck on a lanyard. Now I wear it on my wrist in a cloth holder with a little clear pocket (kind of like a huge wristwatch).

I've found that it registers better when I lift my arm high.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:11 pm
The one in the pic looks just like Maine's version.

My mother just got a new one (New Hampshire) - it's the same width, and a little thicker... but half the height!  Much better for bike mounting.

Rich, my place of employment just installed a new automatic security gate, which opens using some sort of RFID card, I think; you wave it in front of a panel and the gate opens.  The card just fits into the little "key storage" pocket on the sleeve of my riding jacket (sleeve pocket and gate panel both on the left, thankfully).  Just ride up, swipe my left hand across the panel, and open sesame!

Do you ever offer any particular hand gestures while you're waving through the toll?  I can think of any number to choose from...  :P

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:42 pm
My thought was a more permanent placement. I'm likely to forget the pass since I've got three motorbike jackets which are rotated depending on the day's weather, and the use of a toll road is irregular.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 01:48:25 am
It's difficult to find a good spot to "hide" it on the bike AND have it read.  They would always tell me at the FastLane office that "It's so strong it'll read from your trunk," but my experience is it that it barely reads when holding the pass right up to it.

Agree with Rich, I found it works much better the higher it is so I kept mine in my jacket pocket.

Here's an option for a bar mount:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/toll-pass-holder-for-ez-pass-m-tag-ipass-smart-tag-toll-passes-on-motorcycles-scooters

And here is another that looks like maybe you could bolt it on somewhere more discreet if your pass has a good signal:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/223-676

Good luck.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 02:23:09 am
Seems like one of those old school tax plates would come in handy and fit the look...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Philatawgrapher

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:21:22 am
Thanks for those links, Boggy. Some interesting ideas.

I suppose I was hoping to mount it somewhere under the seat, or possibly inside the utility compartment. Wonder how the signal would work from within one of the steel boxes . . . .

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:50 am
Thanks for those links, Boggy. Some interesting ideas.

I suppose I was hoping to mount it somewhere under the seat, or possibly inside the utility compartment. Wonder how the signal would work from within one of the steel boxes . . . .
It won't. And when you have to fumble around under your seat in order to hand it over to the officer on duty so he can manually scan it he won't be pleased and neither will the other drivers who are by this time lining up behind you thus blowing all of your "moto-cool". Not really the kind of attention you want.
I've been using a bar mount like the first one suggested by boggy and it works every time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:23:53 am by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:00 am
I know that for theft reasons hiding it on a bike is the way to go.  For a little bit of the scanability truth, my wife could not find hers on her way up the east coast so pulled cash for the tolls...when she stopped at the first booth they asked what she was doing, they said it already read her pass.  It was in the bottom of her purse on the passenger side floorboard of the F150.  She found it once she arrived at her destination and dumped the purse. 

Not sure about this yet but if your tag is registered and you drive through w/o your pass my issuing office informed me that they will just deduct the toll from your account...as long as it only happens as the exception and not the rule...otherwise you start getting charged a fee.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 11:57:05 am
My EZ-Pass came in one of those little plastic zip-lock anti-static bags for storage... they said if you don't want to use it at tolls, you should seal it in that bag and stow it in your glove box.

Maine EZ-Pass used to issue tags that screwed onto your car's (or truck's) front license plate, for certain vehicles which apparently don't provide a proper read on a windscreen tag.  Maybe you could get one of those and mount it somewhere?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 11:08:18 pm
Over the years, knotheads have proposed building toll roads in Arizona.  They have repeatedly been beaten about the head and brow and sent on their way to places unknown by the residents.

Being able to ride or drive anywhere there is a road.  WOW!  What a concept. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 05:57:02 am
Over the years, knotheads have proposed building toll roads in Arizona.  They have repeatedly been beaten about the head and brow and sent on their way to places unknown by the residents.

Being able to ride or drive anywhere there is a road.  WOW!  What a concept. :)

+1
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:15 am
In California you register your license number. If it doesn't read the tag they go by your plate. I never carry the tag and sometimes they miss the plate.