Author Topic: New Harley Davidson Slip-on Exhaust for my '02 Bullet  (Read 3010 times)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Well, it started with the ACE Canister Air Filter and I knew I wanted to step up on the exhaust as well.  After Reading Arizoni's thread about his HD exhaust experimentation, I decided to give it a try since I had 4 HD mufflers sitting around.

The first two were from an '06 Road King, and I'll be dammed if they weren't as heavy and nearly as long.  So I went with some cat-less Dyna slip-ons.  It fit pretty nicely and was significantly smaller, but was only slightly louder than the stock muffler.

I drilled a few holes in the single wall baffle of the muffler and found the bark I was looking for.  A deep thump at idle, moderate sound when casual acceleration applied, and a snapping loud bark with aggressive throttle.

Mounting it was VERY easy!  I used the same mounting bracket from the stock '02 muffler, but because the HD muffler was shorter, I just flipped the stock bracket the other direction and low and behold, everything lined right up.  I used a small clip to connect that small attachment point just beyond the header pipe and was done.

I had pre-ordered some jets and went with the P2 needle, 27.5 Pilot, and 127.5 Main.  Took it out for a test ride and I'm optimistic that I have it right!  No snapping, gargling, popping on decel, no backfires, smooth pull all the way through the gears in each phase of the throttle.  I personally cannot believe that I managed this in one-take, so tomorrow I'll head out to an open road and do some plug chops to make sure I'm good.

Thanks Tom (ACE) for all the advice, and to Arizoni for giving me the idea to do something with the leftover mufflers sitting around my garage.

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:01:26 am by azcatfan »
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:00:36 pm
Bike looks awesome!

Glad you had an easy time of it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:26:54 pm
Does look a hell of a lot better.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:04 am
Does look a hell of a lot better.  ERC

Sounds a hell of a lot better too  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYZTqG3edg

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:23:56 am
Sounds a hell of a lot better too  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYZTqG3edg
Nice sound. l really like the smaller silencer and the tan saddle bags.
AZ and WI are tied. My Gators are in.
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:27:27 am
Very nice sound and look!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:13:30 am
Nice sound. l really like the smaller silencer and the tan saddle bags.
AZ and WI are tied. My Gators are in.

Thanks :-)  And yeah, looks like UofA will be going home, great season though...

Very nice sound and look!
Bare

Thanks!  I'm having more fun with this bike than I have with almost any other vehicles I've owned and modified.

One thing though, I went for a little ride tonight after the game and everything was going fine.  Then at a light, my bike stalls :-|  I know it's not the reserve because I filled it up the other day.  I start it up and move on, but then it's shifting hard...

Stalls again as I pull into my garage, in first gear, clutch pulled in.  At that point I was running through my brain what I could have possibly done to cause this.  Turns out it was nothing I did, an inspection of the clutch cable at the lever revealed it had frayed to one final stitch.  Fortunately I have several as back ups, and it didn't leave me stranded. 

Typical Royal Enfield experience, do something fun and good, and a bit of that just has to be trimmed off by something else...  Guess I know what I'm doing in the morning :-)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:18:35 am
It's lookin' good ascatfan.

Sundevilfan (class of '67)  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 06:19:48 am
Looks and sounds good!  +1    :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:46:30 am
  I'm having more fun with this bike than I have with almost any other vehicles I've owned and modified.

I feel the same way about mine. Bike looks great, and the silencer blends in nicely. Love the black Bullets!  8)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 07:02:08 pm
Okay gang, a little help here:

I finally got out and did the plug chops, I got 5 new plugs, marked throttle positions on my accelerator and handle grip, and set out to take some readings.  I wish I had taken pictures, I even wanted to do a video of the chops themselves, but i had to squeeze this in on a busy week.

I am jetting for more-or-less at sea level.  My daily riding takes me from 1900-2400ft in elevation.  Been a while since I was up at 4,000ft and up.  Spring temps here are around 60F in the morning and mid 90sF in the afternoon.  I have an Ace air canister and an opened up Harley Davidson exhaust silencer and stock Micarb.

The outcome was that the Idle produced a plug that looks a little rich, was brown, but almost turning black.  Even on a cool (48F) morning I do not need the enrichener to get her started. I take this to mean that the Pilot Jet (27.5) is about perfect, erring on the safe side of running rich. At warm idle around 800rpm she sits strong, can almost measure the beats with a watch.

The 1/4-1/2 produced a color close to dark toast but not black.  This made me the happiest because this is where I ride most of the time thumping through town and from my experience is exactly where the color should be. The Needle Jet (P2 on middle clip) seems to be the right mix and the transition from the pilot circuit to the needle circuit looks to be good. 

The 1/2 to 3/4 produced similar results with the transition from the Needle Jet circuit to the Main Jet (127.5 from 110) circuit.

Full Throttle produced a sooty plug.  Running off of the Main Jet (127.5) the plug comes out covered in soot.  This is my only problem with my current jetting.  The bike pulls VERY well to about 50MPH, at this point, and at full throttle, you can feel the top end approaching.  I understand all to well the limitations of these older bikes with the 4speed and my weight and all, so I know that this is where I would normally feel a falling off of the torque curve.  I feel though, it may somehow be effected by the gradual fouling of the plug.

Mind you I DO NOT do full throttle runs.  Doing these plug chops is the most I've ever run this bike at WOT.  I'm not looking for tons of power at the high end, I just want to get the mix sorted out.

In my thinking, I could simply step down on the Main Jet.  Knowing the Main Jet feeds the Needle Jet circuit, would it be safe to assume that I could simply lower the clip on the P2 once a smaller Main Jet is introduced to keep the good mix I currently have going in the most used throttle positions (1/4-3/4)?

Here is my One Ride video, the only video I have with the current setup on carb, intake and silencer, in case listening to it helps some of you that diagnose by ear.  http://youtu.be/pNgMbi88ZJk  I use a high definition microphone in the saddle bag to capture the sound of the bike instead of the wind-blown camera mic.  The video is 15min long, after the kick start at the beginning jumping to almost anywhere in it should get you an idea of what it sounds like.

Thanks in advance

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:14:14 pm
If your plugs are toast colored at all positions but WOT, then the only change you need to make is to step down a size or 2 on the main jet.  I'd probably just go 1 size down.  Other than that it sounds like you're doing good.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King