Author Topic: Setting idle?  (Read 1809 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:51 am
Hey guys quick issue
Ive tuned my carby and idle and starting it the bike settles into idle nicely.
But sometimes after some cruising pulling up the engine stalls and I have to kick her back.
Now I'm etheir in N, or clutch pulled in and in first or second, and it's just before I stop.
But when I pulled into a service station to check it out she idled fine and the same when I got home

Also side question, how does the Hitchcocks solo saddle mount onto the bike?
Ive just looked at my package as its dark and all I got is the springs and seat, which is what I ordered.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:04 am
Set the idle speed when the bike is hot, and don't try to make it too low. Set it high enough to not die  in the difficult situations. 1000 rpm is usually good.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 11:15:56 am
Set the idle speed when the bike is hot, and don't try to make it too low. Set it high enough to not die  in the difficult situations. 1000 rpm is usually good.

I set it at a good strong idle when it was hot but I don't get why it would die after stopping or whilst stopping?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 11:43:21 am
Have you checked for air leaks on/at the manifold?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:29 am
Have you checked for air leaks on/at the manifold?

Nothing leaking there, only issue overall the bike has is this and damned tappet cover leak, also noisy tappets. Is 0.015" the right clearance for the tappets?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 11:53:58 am
Nothing leaking there, only issue overall the bike has is this and damned tappet cover leak, also noisy tappets. Is 0.015" the right clearance for the tappets?

I honestly don't know a lot of technical specs on the Bullets, but on my vintage twin when I set the valves to .012 it sounded like the engine was falling apart.  I believe for the Bullets, the technique is to set tappets "nil" or just loose enough to be able to spin the tappet with your fingers without having any extra play.

Scottie J

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:21 am
I honestly don't know a lot of technical specs on the Bullets, but on my vintage twin when I set the valves to .012 it sounded like the engine was falling apart.  I believe for the Bullets, the technique is to set tappets "nil" or just loose enough to be able to spin the tappet with your fingers without having any extra play.

Scottie J

Haha heard of that but I must have a number!
Still this idle baffles me, I set it abit higher and I'll see how I go tomorrow

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 12:12:37 pm
Haha heard of that but I must have a number!
Still this idle baffles me, I set it abit higher and I'll see how I go tomorrow

The number is "nil"  ;D  Hahahaha  OK  IF you HAVE to have an actual number, let's say .001-.002.

As for the idle, just set it at 1000 RPMs when the engine is at full operating temp.  If it is anything like my twin or any other old bikes I've had, you just need to manually operate the throttle until the bike gets warms enough to walk away and put your gear on, usually about 90-120 seconds.  Besides, doing it this way assures that you are not taking off before the engine is warm enough to put a load on it.

Scottie j

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:31:57 pm
The number is "nil"  ;D  Hahahaha  OK  IF you HAVE to have an actual number, let's say .001-.002.

As for the idle, just set it at 1000 RPMs when the engine is at full operating temp.  If it is anything like my twin or any other old bikes I've had, you just need to manually operate the throttle until the bike gets warms enough to walk away and put your gear on, usually about 90-120 seconds.  Besides, doing it this way assures that you are not taking off before the engine is warm enough to put a load on it.

Scottie j

Righto I might bump it up some more tomorrow at work.
Thanks guys

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:15 pm
Set the tappets to zero clearance when dead cold. The push rods should spin with your fingers, but no up/down play at all.

When the engine warms up to operating temp, the expansion causes the clearance to grow to about .012", which is the normal operating clearance.
Do not attempt to make them tight or quiet. Do not adjust them when warm or hot.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 03:20:17 pm
Hitchcock's sells a slew of different solo seats. I would contact them about installation instructions on the specific model you purchased if you can't figure it out with the parts that came with it. Most solo's have a bracket on the front with a stud/bolt to mount on your stock front seat mount and then some have plates for the rear springs that mount to the frame. It all depends on the type of solo seat you purchase.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 09:48:25 am
Update!:
Bumped up the idle to around 900-1000rpm, no issues, ran like a dream
Now to actually make some working brakelights..

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:24:54 pm
Update!:
Bumped up the idle to around 900-1000rpm, no issues, ran like a dream
Now to actually make some working brakelights..

Nice!  Glad you got it straightened out.  Most issues are an easy fix with these bikes, before long when your bike acts up you will know exactly what's going on and what you need to do to fix it.  ;)

As far as lighting goes, I really like these guys TC Brothers:

http://stores.ebay.com/tcbroschoppersllc/

I bought a few items from them for my bike, including the taillight/license plate mount.  Very high quality products, a little pricey on some stuff, but you get what you pay for.  :)

Scottie J

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:21 pm
My problem is the previous owner installed his own tail light, which is fine. But its got one setting..on. Annd when I have lights on its on, and cant change when I brake, and if lights off my brake turns EVERYTHING on haha.
I was just going to install two LED clusters discreetly near my current tail light and directly run my brake light switch to them.