Author Topic: engine mods  (Read 1382 times)

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
on: April 16, 2014, 02:26:35 pm
Well  I have amassed an alloy barrel, various gaskets, a boyer ignition coil, TM32 flatside carb, the carb manifold and have a line on a new head...since I've got a goldstar silencer, an ACE air can, a set of new main bearings. I am thinking of fore going the high compression piston, and reworked crankshaft and putting what I have on the bike...and see how it goes. I do have an extra 535 alloy barrel if anyone would like it since I can't use it.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:57:17 pm
Well  I have amassed an alloy barrel, various gaskets, a boyer ignition coil, TM32 flatside carb, the carb manifold and have a line on a new head...since I've got a goldstar silencer, an ACE air can, a set of new main bearings. I am thinking of fore going the high compression piston, and reworked crankshaft and putting what I have on the bike...and see how it goes. I do have an extra 535 alloy barrel if anyone would like it since I can't use it.

If you are not raising the compression, then don't use re-phased cams. Just use the stock cams with stock timing. Otherwise, you will lose lower rpm torque from the re-phased cam timing.
It should go fairly well. Basically a free flow kit.
Don't push for much more highway speeds without the cooling mods. The cast iron barrel can't handle it.
Remember that the stock con-rod and piston are two of the weakest parts in the engine. Do not rev over 5000 rpm max, and keeping it under 4300 rpm would be prudent.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:00:50 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 07:32:24 pm
What kind of cooling mods ? Are you referring to head work or hi-flow oil pump?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:04 pm
What kind of cooling mods ? Are you referring to head work or hi-flow oil pump?
The alloy cylinder which he decided not to use.
The other things you mentioned can play some part too, but the alloy cylinder is a biggie.

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:58 pm
ACE...I purchased 2 alloy cylinders...I initially got the 535cc alloy that needed a liner thru Hitchcocks really CHEAP...Justin strongly suggested just chalking it up to over enthusiasm...and suck it up and get a good unchecked 500cc alloy cylinder which I did...and that is what I am planning to use...sorry I did not specify. ;)
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:21 pm
ACE...I purchased 2 alloy cylinders...I initially got the 535cc alloy that needed a liner thru Hitchcocks really CHEAP...Justin strongly suggested just chalking it up to over enthusiasm...and suck it up and get a good unchecked 500cc alloy cylinder which I did...and that is what I am planning to use...sorry I did not specify. ;)

Oh, well it's VERY good that you are using the alloy cylinder.
I'm happy to hear that!