Author Topic: Ready For The Races!  (Read 5901 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 12, 2014, 02:39:50 pm
I spent a late night in the garage last night getting the bike ready for the flat track races today. I wanted to do it this morning but the boss is making me work today, so I had no choice but to do it late last night.  I did get a lot done tho!

I adjusted the valves one by one and I'm certainly glad that I did.  As I pulled the valve cover for the #2 exhaust valve I discovered that the valve adjuster lock nut had come loose and the valve adjuster was spinning all willy nilly.  So that was definitely the cause of some of the chatter I was hearing.  Also, the other 3 valves were about .005-.008 out of adjustment.

Next I pulled the exhaust and changed the oil in the engine and trans.  The engine oil didn't look too bad, as it shouldn't because as much as it leaks it is always getting a fresh supply of new oil.  Nothing of noticeable mention in the drain pick up screen, the filter or the filter magnet.  I didn't have a new oil filter, but the one that was in there I just installed last fall, so I did what the old manual says to do and just cleaned it with gasoline and then blew as much of the fuel out of filter as possible with compressed air.  The trans oil was in need of flushing as it had a nice metallic tint to it.  I ended up putting about 300ml in the trans and just over 2 quarts in the motor.  It turned out that I had EXACTLY enough oil to do them both.  :D

I also replaced the breather tube.  I have been using vacuum line for this but I noticed that the rubber keeps breaking down, so I replaced it with 4' of 5/16" fuel line.  I also cleaned the oil filter yesterday too while I was at work.

My biggest disappointment tho was about 8:30p when I went to Advance Auto Parts to buy new plugs and fuel filters.  Unfortunately, they are no longer stocking my plugs OR filters.  :(  I ended up having to drive to the other side of town like a maniac to the only store that had my plugs on the shelf.  I get there and find out they are open until 10p on Fridays and Saturdays.   :o   Anyways, I bought the last 4 plugs they had and passed on the fuel filters for now.  Good news is that the 2 plugs I installed I was able to index perfectly!

So I should be all set for this afternoon!  I'm super excited!  I've been racing around my whole life, but this will be my first time competing in a sanctioned race.  Wish Me Luck!   :D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:53:28 pm
Luck

Hope you do well today. Should be a blast.

2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:12:34 pm
Good luck!

Video!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:47:44 pm
Good luck Scottie, hope you have a great time.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:57 am
I Took 2nd Place In The Main Event!!!!!

What an awesome night and wicked awesome fun!  We got 2 heats of practice laps in before the races started.  The first practice run kind of sucked tho because for some reason they let 3 or 4 pro riders in the same practice heat as us which made things a little nerve racking.  It's hard when you are trying to pass your friend and all of a sudden a guy comes flying around you in the turn sideways.  For the second practice heat it was just Hooligan bikes and it was a lot funner and easier to navigate not having to worry about when and where someone is going to come smoking past you.

For the 1st heat of competition I almost took the Hole Shot!   8)  Unfortunately my lack of experience had me riding up high in the turns instead of holding the inside lane.  After I dropped to 4th position I said to myself "Get inside dumb ass!" so I did.  I held onto the #4 position until turn 3 of the final lap when I came in real tight on the inside and overtook the 3rd position just before the checkered flag.    :D

During the intermission the winds started to pick up and reports from neighboring towns were stating that the overnight storm was starting to roll in from the west.  We spoke to the race organizers and they agreed to let us run the 1st Main Event so that we could pack up and head out before the storm reached us.

I came out and nailed the hole shot!   ;D  However, Nate made an excellent move splitting Kevin and I exiting out of turn 2 and took the lead on lap 2.  I stayed on him the whole time and in lap 3, I believe it was, he messed up and went into turn 1 hot and high.  I thought I had him for a moment, but he recovered just as I was making my move on the turn 2 exit and he pulled back in front of me.  I was on his ass for the last 2 laps, trying desperately to takeover the #1 position, but I just couldn't quite catch him.  But I did maintain and hold onto the #2 position for the entire race and placed 2nd at the checkered flag!   :D   I'm pretty proud of myself for taking the #2 spot in the Main Event.  Being that I was on a 56 year old machine when I have never actually raced on a track before.  Let alone a dirt flat track!

I have every heat on video via my helmet mount, so I will try to get some video posted sometime tomorrow.  I also filmed 1 heat of the Vintage Open Class and some other stuff.  Also, the professional photographers were there and they also got some pics of me and Jason racing that should be posted onto their website Wednesday evening.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:25:01 am by High On Octane »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:48 am

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:01:44 am
Very awesome!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 01:59:34 pm

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 04:14:50 pm
Wow VERY IMPRESSIVE great job with the camera again.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 05:01:18 pm
Here's a video of the main event shot from the Grandstands last night!  It's so cool hearing your name announced after placing in the Top 3!  The video is titled Race #1 but this was in fact the Main Event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdoQY4N1Gc

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 05:53:52 pm
Killer!

You're hooked now!!
 8)

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:36 pm
That's Awesome!  Great riding!  8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 08:03:30 pm

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:06:36 pm
Yeah Tom, I might be hooked now.  :D

You know, in the Main Event, I felt like I could have pushed the bike harder than I was except I was actually scraping my foot peg in the turns.  I guess that just gives me a good reason to install rear sets.  ;D  I was getting the ass end to slide a bit without being scared about it.  ;)  A couple more times out and I think I could take the #1 Podium Spot.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:50:57 pm
And a steel sole on your left foot.  ERC