Author Topic: New to Royal Enfield  (Read 3621 times)

VoodooKi

• Scooter
on: April 11, 2014, 03:35:34 am
I just bought a 1996 Bullet 500 that has been sitting for 10 years. What things should I check before trying to start it?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:48:25 am
Get some Marvel Mystery oil and put about 2 ounces into the motor thru the spark plug hole and let it sit for a day.  Then go out and very slowly turn the motor over with the kicker.  This is to free up the piston rings without causing damage to cylinder or rings.

Drain the gas tank and carburater.  Make sure there is no rust in the gas tank, if there is there are ways of properly removing it.  Remove the carb and disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning.  Put it back together and put some fresh new gas in it.

Drain and replace ALL the fluids and oil filter and replace the spark plug with a new one.  Also you will want to reset the gap on your points.  Last, you will want to give your clutch and throttle cable a good oiling.  That should get you going.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:57:53 am
Welcome aboard VoodooKi and congrats on your Bullet !

Wow where to begin.........

You probably know the basics from other bikes loose hardware, frayed wires everything moves like it should. Enfield specific ? Hmm.

Being a '96 yours has British threads on all the fasteners so don't loose any.

The aluminum used in the engine and transmission is pretty darn soft.
Many feel ( and rightly so ) that the torque values listed in the service manual are on the high side so be careful tightening things screwed into aluminum as it is easy to strip or pull threads.

I forget what year they went from 6 volt to 12 electrical systems but they were the last bike maker on the planet to do so and it was sometime in the 1990's IIRC.

Rubber bits have likely hardened and/or rotted so that's something to be aware of.

More fellows will be along shortly to share more.

Congrats and many happy miles to you.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:05:04 am
Oh yeah, where are my manners?

Welcome to The Forum and the World of Enfields!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 05:03:58 am
I just bought a 1996 Bullet 500 that has been sitting for 10 years. What things should I check before trying to start it?
You've come to the right  place. Lots of experience on this forum.
Lots of parts in the US at Nfield gear ( old Classic Motor Works) Hitchcocks in UK, and BulletWalla in India....that should due.
And welcome aboard!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:13:30 pm
Lots of parts in the US at Nfield gear ( old Classic Motor Works)

Nfield Gear (NFG) is the accessory arm of CMW. CMW still exists as the importer and Enfield parts purveyor, basically for dealers only. Anybody can order for NFG.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:02:08 pm
hello and welcome.
 i bought one last year. at some point one of the previous owners had put a free flowing short exhaust and performance air filter but didn't upgrade the jets on the carb. i figured it out when it ran very hot. if it has these upgrades and you take the carb apart read the main jet, if it is 110 its too small and the others probably are too.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 12:19:40 am
Excellent!  Another Iron Barrel RE Classic member! Welcome aboard! 

I've been building up my maintenance video catalog, if you need that sort of thing.  Lots of others have too, so much great help on this forum.

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

VoodooKi

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:32:14 pm
Thanks for the information. I hope to get started this weekend on getting to her to run. Are there any upgrades I should be considering to make her run 60 mph? I live in Oklahoma and almost roads are 60 mph unless I am in the city.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:41:49 pm
Thanks for the information. I hope to get started this weekend on getting to her to run. Are there any upgrades I should be considering to make her run 60 mph? I live in Oklahoma and almost roads are 60 mph unless I am in the city.

The best advice for the beginning of your ownership is to ride it at no more than 55mph, regardless of whether the limit is 60mph or whatever. It likes 55mph in top gear. It doesn't like hardly anything more than that for anything more than passing other cars or short bursts. No cruising above 55mph for any more than a few short minutes.
Don't worry about trying to keep up with traffic.
That's the best advice I can give you, until you are ready to really make some significant modifications that will cost some serious money.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:44:18 am
I totally agree about not trying to keep up with traffic. Around here, unless it's a school zone, everybody does about 10 mph over the limit. I have ridden my UCE Enfield on the freeway where the speed limit is 65, and everybody is going over 70. I refuse to exceed 60 with it, and usually ride it between 50-60. I stay in the right lane, wear an orange vest and a white helmet, and watch my mirrors. I have been riding on freeways with slow bikes all my life. Right now I also ride on 65 mph roads with my XT225 and Zuma 125 scooter, both of which have top cruising speeds of 55 mph. Just do what the signs say. "Slower Traffic Keep Right" And BE VISIBLE.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

curtisbelford

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 01:26:56 am
Trust these guys and trust me if you push it to hard you'll break it. I rode my 99 from Tacoma area back roads with Ice and Bill and a couple others to Portland, Never thought I pushed it that hard about 45 to 50 mph, dropped a valve seat hit the piston bent the push rod and still made it home. Had to stop every 10 or 15 miles or so to adjust the pushrod but the RE and me made it home.

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:06:49 am
there is more to it than misery,eventually.Get every manual available and train yourself to the point that you will not fear roadside repairs,and equip the toolbag accordingly.They want to test your limits until they can trust you.When that point is reached,you can begin to trust them.You do not have a retro bike,you have exactly what you would have bought in 1955.Everything is supposed to work quite well,and if it does not,it probably needs attention.Good luck to you.