Author Topic: Can someone confirm what I have?  (Read 6027 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:52 am
There are a lot of Bullets pulling sidecars.
Unless there is something specific about the sidecar you have, it shouldn't be too difficult with a Kozy or other vintage type hack.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

fatcaaat

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:36 am
I have a velorex 562.  ONly 1 of the 4 mounts are direct.  The other three will require fab to make them work. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 03:05:32 am
Just FYI, the 17 digit VIN numbers didn't start until much later. The '70s I think. it's been awhile. The frame numbers on vintage bikes should be stamped on the steering head.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

fatcaaat

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:10 pm
I have listed this out on ebay for sale and Graham, the chair, from the UK Royal Enfield Club confirms that this enfield (at least the motor) was built in the UK and the frame, while period correct, was built in India.  The rest of the bike is kitted with various old and new items, making it a bit of a mutt, but it's nice to know that we now have a confirmed engine and frame that are period correct. 

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 08:21:07 am
Okay, if indeed it's an early 60's frame, it should be what is called a 'round chassis' here in India. Basically, the two tubes, emerging from the left and right of the swingarm pivot section of the frame, merging towards the rear single downtube (that hangs down over the gearbox from the main top spine of the frame) are welded to form a sort of a hoop and not bolted down. The newer frames, from the late sixties and go right up to the last Cast Irons made in India, have the same bolt-up system that your bike currently sports. These late sixties bikes too had a G2 prefix on their engine numbers.

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I thought I ought to let you know.

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 08:28:25 am
Enfield India was selling bikes in the civilan market way before the late sixties. I once bought a single owner mag-dyno Bullet that was made/assembled in 1956 but let it go to get home an old side valve BSA workhorse instead!

The thing is that they were quite expensive back in the day and only the really affluent could afford to have them in their garages. In 1964, my dad bought his Jawa 250 brand new for Rs. 3500. The Bullet 350 was pegged at Rs. 5700-odd. Quite a tidy sum of money in those times, especially for a lad working with the forces.