Author Topic: Center Stand Side Arm Broke !  (Read 4659 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 11, 2014, 02:09:17 am
I was putting the bike on center stand with all my weight on one foot placed on the side-arm attached to center stand when it gave way - almost came off the center stand. Fortunately, I was able to regain my balance and bike did not fall.

Was it the rust or week weld ?   
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 02:14:29 am
It might have been rusty at the weld joint since the day it was made, but hidden under the paint. After a while it just gets eaten away enough to break.
It wouldn't be the first rusty weld that Enfield ever made.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:16:18 am
Oh no. I agree with ace. Now I'll be scared to put mine on the centerstand...I've been using the centerstand every time since I got the bike a bit more than 2 years ago. Will inspect that joint.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:59 am
Looks rusty.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:44:42 am
Singh5 - You live in the Midwest, Chicago area if I'm not mistaken?   ???   If so, it looks like your center stand caught the Great Lakes Cancer, the Midwest Rot, the....  Yeah it's rusty.  I would remove the center stand and give it a thorough look over to make sure the metal isn't completely rotten.  If it's not too far gone, you can probably have a shop trim the bad area off of the foot lever piece and weld it back together for cheap.  If the center stand looks rough around the edges don't waste your time trying to fix and just get a new one.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:27:29 am
Should be easy enough to weld, but a new one is always a better idea......might even be cheaper.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 05:31:11 am
Get a new one.  If there's enough internal rot for it to fail don't trust what's left.  The bike you save may be your own ;)

Scott

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 05:37:07 am
I think Sing has been eating spinach.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 05:06:29 pm
I think Sing has been eating spinach.
Either Spinach OR  Sarso Ka Saag and Makki di Roti....both cause these extra strength issues....
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 05:54:56 pm
Looks like a bad weld allowed water to get through around the weld, and rust it out from the inside. I would replace the whole stand. Be glad it was the stand, and not one of the stand mounts that are welded directly to the frame. I have had welded to the frame sidestand mounts break off a couple of Japanese bikes. Both were bought used, and had obviously been dropped. And as a former 4 cylinder Goldwing owner and a member of several Goldwing forums, I discovered that many Goldwings from the "rust belt" had the same issue. They had a frame cross member that the centerstand brackets were welded to, and it tended to rust through at the ends, destroying the entire frame.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:12:03 pm
It may not have been a bad weld.  Many pieces have a drain hole, and that can work both ways.  Singh lives in an area of the country where they throw down de-icer and that can find it's way in, he rides much of the year.

I for one would like to ask CMW to send Singh a new center stand free of charge for his amazing mileage, great attitude, and all around contributions to the RE community.  Who's with me?

C'mon Kevin :)

Scott
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:14:06 pm by Ducati Scotty »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 06:28:52 pm
It may not have been a bad weld.  Many pieces have a drain hole, and that can work both ways.  Singh lives in an area of the country where they throw down de-icer and that can find it's way in, he rides much of the year.

I for one would like to ask CMW to send Singh a new center stand free of charge for his amazing mileage, great attitude, and all around contributions to the RE community.  Who's with me?

Scott

+1   :)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 08:35:34 pm
+2  ;D

Creepy. Good reflex not to drop bike or fall.  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:51:21 pm
BIG THANKS GUYS !

I must stop eating spinach sarson ka saag and makki di roti ;D. I am switching to a low calorie diet of cheese-burgers and fries ;). It is time to change with age, finally.

I agree that I need a new stand since the rust will be a chronic problem.

Scottie J (HOO) I am in New Jersey which had fair amount of snow and salt on roads this winter. Now it rains and gets wet every few days and moisture builds up in the Garden State.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:19:33 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 12:47:19 am

+3!  Hell, even if CMW declines, I'd pitch in towards a new one for him...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 12:48:28 am
Hmmm.... there's an idea?  What do these cost?

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 05:24:41 pm
 :)
Let's call Tim on Monday and find out....I'm assuming that it can't be that much.....
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 07:45:44 pm
38.50 pound sterling (Hitchcock), excluding VAT (21%) and shipping.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 12:21:37 am
I am totally humbled by generous thoughts of so many Forum members for finding a center stand for my G5 by first trying to get Kevin's attention and now trying to chip in to buy one !

Before I fully knew all this communication at the Forum, I had already talked to Tim at CMW and ordered the stand after expert opinion of ACE and others convinced me that getting a new one was the way to go.

Tim (CMW) had told me that they will mail it on Monday and I should have it in a few days.

Many thanks for all your support - speechless.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:02:09 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 01:31:30 pm
We're Enfield Riders!  We are a rare breed, and we take care of each other with any means possible.

Enfield People Are Good People.    :)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:40 pm
The bikes are ok. The people here, none better ;)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 05:01:57 pm
I am totally humbled by generous thoughts of so many Forum members for finding a center stand for my G5 by first trying to get Kevin's attention and now trying to chip in to buy one !

Before I fully knew all this communication at the Forum, I had already talked to Tim at CMW and ordered the stand after expert opinion of ACE and others convinced me that getting a new one was the way to go.

Tim (CMW) had told me that they will mail it on Monday and I should have it in a few days.

Many thanks for all your support - speechless.
Singh Ji,
By watching your Videos, I've saved a lot of money just on oil changes alone,  ;D (for that in itself many "Shukriya's"), never mind the preventative maintenance that has saved a lot more behind the scenes. I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've learned a LOT by watching your videos so it's not just the money that was saved but more so it was the learning experience.
likewise, forum members like GHG, Ducati Scotty, GSS, Bare, Arizoni and MANY MANY Others, "you know who you are"  :)  have definitely been a blessing and a boon to this Site and to everyone else around. If anything it's the help of these forum members that have definitely made a "mechanic out of this Man to say the least"
So Singh Ji, thank you and Keep those Videos coming.
Best Wishes.  :D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 08:48:39 pm
+1
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 04:00:59 pm
I received new center stand in the mail and noticed that each leg has 2 small holes drilled on its side. One hole is near the top and one about 1 inch above the bottom. They are located in such a way that if water goes in through them it will not come out of the hollow leg, causing rust and rot inside.

I think there is already some rust in the inside since brown rusty particles come out when I shake the stand. It is not painted on the inside.

What is the purpose of these holes and if I should just plug them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:17:04 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 04:18:34 pm
Sinhg5:   Good question...What comes to mind are weep holes for water/condensation or where a spring might had once hooked in there for a different model and they're using the same center stand for the UCE?     Just guessing but someone might come up with a different answer...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 05:02:16 pm
Hi, It is probable those are breathing holes necessary to relieve expanding air/gas pressure during the welding process.
  There is a paint on rust reformer paint available at hardware stores, that you could squirt inside your stand, it will eat into the rust & turn it into a protective coating. After blowing the excess out with compressed air, & letting it dry, you could seal the holes with black silicone & forget about rust.
  I use the brush on & spray varieties of this product all the time - IT WORKS.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:08 pm
Harbor freight had got the same rust paint on sale right now..I picked up some since I had my tank off and happened to break my Head Steady in the process..made up a new iron/metal one and wanted to use some paint that would inhibit rust..so used a primer and the specific rust inhibitor paint...
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 03:49:36 am
Steel Bicycle frames have these holes in the chainstays and seatstays.  In my father's day it was common practise when you bought a new steel frame to inject heated linseed oil into the holes, seal them, and give the frame a good shake.

The linseed oil would coat the inside of the frame with a  waterproof coating (a bit like varnish), which set hard once it had cooled down. That prevented the frames from rotting from the inside out.

I just sprayed some ACF50 into the holes in my centre stand's legs, when the stand was 'up'. When the stand went down the ACF50 should flow over the inside of the weld areas, and offer some protection from the old 'tin worm'.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2014, 02:57:55 pm
Craig is correct about the holes.  They are gas relief holes for the welding/assembly process.  They are needed for welding tubes together, if they are not present the gas pressure built up inside of the tubes will blow out of where you are welding, literally blowing out your welds.

This is what you want to use on the inside of that stand. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POR-15-Black-Rust-Preventive-Paint-Pint-POR15-/231193721753?hash=item35d4383b99&item=231193721753&vxp=mtr

POR15 turns rust into an epoxy coating that is EXTREMELY tough and durable.  I use this stuff for coating car chassis' when I do frame off restorations.  Just clean the loose rust particles and apply.  For your center stand, I would use compressed air to blow out as much junk as possible, and then use a large syringe with a piece of plastic tubing to inject the POR15 into the stand itself, shake it a round for a bit and let the excess drain out.  The only downfall for POR15 is that it takes a full 24-48 hours to cure.  But once it is cured, I guarantee you'll never see rust in that spot again.

Scottie J

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2014, 04:58:12 pm
Yes, the POR Product is far superior to the cheap hardware store stuff I use.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 12:22:39 am

Scott

+20 (or whatever number we are on..   :P

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 02:00:06 am
+another. The technique on old tube frame airplanes was to put some linseed oil, as already mentioned in the hole then weld up the hole, sealing in the oil.