Author Topic: Replacing Steering Lock  (Read 3260 times)

gluinenburg

• Scooter
on: July 12, 2008, 10:49:24 pm
My 2002 Bullet ES didn't come with the steering lock keys, so I bought a replacement from CMW.  Problem is -- I don't know how to get the old lock off.  Any ideas?  I took the old cover off the lock by prying back the pin that keeps it in place and I thought the lock would slide right out -- but it doesn't.  Does anybody know any tricks?

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:34:30 pm
     With that cover off it should slide right out. HOWEVER, some locks of this type do require you to use the key. Try hooking the tumbler with a dental or other sturdy pick and yanking. If that doesn't work you will either have to drill, or perhaps stick something down the tumbler strong enough to force it to turn. Look at the new lock. When you twist the key the pin lines up with the guide ridge. At this point you should be able to pull it out. Good luck.

gluinenburg

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:29:05 am
Okay, thanks for the tips.  I tried forcing the lock open, but the screwdriver broke off in the tumbler, so I was forced to drill it out.  Not too bad (I only broke one bit in the process) - it just took some patience.  You need to drill at the top of the lock so the you get the magic pin that keeps the lock in place - once you get past this pin with the drill, everything slides out nicely.  The new lock installed nicely, and it works with the key, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how the steering lock actually works?   

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:44:32 am
The new lock installed nicely, and it works with the key, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how the steering lock actually works?   

Turn the handlebars all the way to the right.
Turn the key CCW until it stops.
Push the lock in and turn the key back to the middle and take the key out.
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 06:47:22 pm
Also have to swing the handlebars a few degrees back and forth - pushing in on the lock.  You will feel the large locking pin home through the locking opening.  And the whole lock assembly slides in with it's pin.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter