Author Topic: questions about an AVL  (Read 1768 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 10, 2014, 01:35:42 am
I need another bike like I need the proverbial hole in the head, but....
I have stumbled upon an '09 AVL classic 6K miles that I might be able to pick up for a decent price. Owner says it needs work: the electric start is inoperative.   From what he described on the phone it sounds like an electrical issue (switch/relay/wiring) rather than mechanical. Bike still kicks over and runs.
I will go see it this weekend, but wanted to ask:
does the fact that its the last year for carbed Royal Enfields (USA anyways) help its value any?
If it is the sprag clutch -or if it needs one down the line- what do those cost?
What else is a common problem with the AVLs?

Thanks for any input
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:33:40 am
As far as value goes, I don't think that "the last year with a carb" makes it anymore valuable.  Not on an Enfield anyways.  Just my 2 cents.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:37:06 am
My E-start still works ( last time I used it).
I was under the impression the same sprag part number works for AVL or Iron Barrel ( I might be wrong)

I have had to replace the drive/power chain, rear shocks, stock tires in fair condition.
front brake light switch, remove inoperative side stand switch. and I ve been putting off replacing leaking front fork seals.
Have the speedo cable come loose, bad frame ground from battery.
All frame and electric issues have proved easy enough to find and fix.

As for the AVL engine,....I have adjusted the valves ( easy like the iron barrel), adjusted the primary chain and refilled with 1 litre of my favorite slim.
And a few spark plugs for fun.
The AVL engine has been , for a lack of better words,....Bullet Proof!

Yes , the motorcycles are extremely valuable. Im willing to sell you mine for $20,000 or trade for a Vincent in working condition.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Lane

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:34:21 am
My starter stopped for a while and I shorted across the solenoid (in the left side box) and the starter began working.  So I went to Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) and bought a new solenoid that looked pretty much the same for a lawn tractor and it worked!

Point is, I guess, you could jump the solenoid with a screw driver and see if that's the problem.  If so, its a cheap fix.  Probably should buy the real part though.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:41:50 am by Lane »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:20:03 am
Bill Harris posted a thread with experience on the AVL. 35,000 miles and counting.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,18878.0.html

Love my AVL.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra