Author Topic: IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED WITH THOTTLE CABLE!!!  (Read 1665 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: May 19, 2014, 02:20:05 pm
Hey guys, I got stranded in a canyon yesterday with a stretched throttle cable and I'm taking off work today to get a replacement so I can go get it fixed and get the Blackhawk back home.  I originally used a bicycle cable that I soldered together and that worked for the last year, but when I tried making a new cable again yesterday out of despair, for what ever reason I could not get the nipple to solder onto the cable.  So now I am looking for an actual replacement cable, something popular like a Suduco or Barnetts, that I can pick up at the local shop TODAY.  I have 2 choices in shops:  One shop that sells everything imaginable for every Jap bike imaginable and a small handful of Triumph parts.  OR there is another shop that specializes in Unit Triumph bike repairs that sells SOME cables and may have a cable that will work.

What I need from you guys is a part number/s of a cable/s that are for a fact known to work with a standard throttle grip and a Amal 930 concentric carb, total length of about 3' (never actually measured it).  Thanks in advance!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:05:15 pm
Call them and ask if they have a universal one that you can solder the ends on. I think a dirt bike shop would still have them.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 03:07:18 pm
Sudco has one.
Enfield Throttle Cable, Part # 021-947 is what works on all Bullets.
Should work on your single-carb twin.

It's a Motion Pro cable, really good quality. We use it on the Fireballs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:35:28 pm
Sudco has one.
Enfield Throttle Cable, Part # 021-947 is what works on all Bullets.
Should work on your single-carb twin.

It's a Motion Pro cable, really good quality. We use it on the Fireballs.

I have bought Motion Pro cables from Performance Cycle before, here's to hoping they it in stock.  Thanks Tom and Roger!

Scottie J

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:52 am
http://www.flandersco.com/FlanCableSearch.html

To permanently eliminate cable breakage at the throttle end there is a simple mod I do the cable groove of the twist grip.

Assuming one has the throttle housing apart and the twist grip in hand, take a look at the entire cable groove and notice a sharp turn in the groove where it transitions from straight to circumferential just up from the recess where the cable lug seats.  That transition focuses all the flex in one spot.

Using a swiss file, blend that sharp corner to a progressive radius and the problem is permanently solved.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 11:47:05 am
Thanks for the tip Ice.  I changed grips this past week and noticed my throttle cable was beginning to lose some strands due to that exact issue you describe.  And I snapped the end off a year ago. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 12:33:37 pm
Thanks for the heads up.  I ended getting a Barnett cable for a Triumph T6R to work.