Author Topic: Exhaust header studs/nuts  (Read 7065 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:57 pm
If you use a silicone RTV, be sure it says it is compatible with aluminum.

The more common RTV's like the ones used for bathroom fixtures, tile, etc. give off acetic acid while they are curing.
If this is trapped in a aluminum hole, the acid will attack the aluminum. 
RTV's of this type give off a vinegar smell.

Some of the high temperature RTV's sold at many auto supply stores are aluminum safe and should stand a better chance of surviving in that location.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:25 am
If you use a silicone RTV, be sure it says it is compatible with aluminum.

The more common RTV's like the ones used for bathroom fixtures, tile, etc. give off acetic acid while they are curing.
If this is trapped in a aluminum hole, the acid will attack the aluminum. 
RTV's of this type give off a vinegar smell.

Some of the high temperature RTV's sold at many auto supply stores are aluminum safe and should stand a better chance of surviving in that location.

I would just put it on the nuts where they go on the studs. I see no need to put it into the casting holes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 01:05:16 am
I would just put it on the nuts where they go on the studs. I see no need to put it into the casting holes.

The problem is, even if you welded the nuts to the studs, the studs would still come loose. I need a way to prevent the studs from unscrewing themselves because of the vibration. The studs/nuts could just be replaced with safety wired bolts, but I'm afraid that might put to much stress on the aluminum threads. There is really nothing different here than any other bike, it's just I never saw studs that could be unscrewed by hand before. Most of them are stuck in the head really good.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 02:01:16 am
The problem is, even if you welded the nuts to the studs, the studs would still come loose. I need a way to prevent the studs from unscrewing themselves because of the vibration. The studs/nuts could just be replaced with safety wired bolts, but I'm afraid that might put to much stress on the aluminum threads. There is really nothing different here than any other bike, it's just I never saw studs that could be unscrewed by hand before. Most of them are stuck in the head really good.
Ok. For that,  you could use the aluminum compatible silicone, or a thread locking compound.
That part of the head does not get as hot as one may think. It's probably under 300 degrees max.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 08:44:48 pm
I've used these on my 3 shovelhead engines since long ago. Solves all exhaust stud problems (& shovels only have ONE stud):

Nice setup, however do they come in alternate threads?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com