Author Topic: 700 Twin Camshaft Replacement  (Read 4886 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 01:23:36 pm
Just use the stock exhaust cam and the .328" intake cam, and run it.

Look, on the Ace Magnum cams, we run .025" less lift on the exhaust cam, than we have on the intake cam. Many performance packages are set up this way. The exhaust doesn't need as much lift in most cases, because it comes out at high pressure, and exits quickly anyway,  and we need some exhaust gas left at the end of the stroke to do the extraction work, so we want to let it out in a controlled way.

Don't worry about having less lift on the exhaust. it works out fine that way.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 01:29:13 pm
Excellent!  Thanks again Ace!   8)

When I do this, I'm thinking of taking video and doing on a DIY on the cam swap, being that there isn't anything out there on it other than what is in the manual.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:14 pm
Excellent!  Thanks again Ace!   8)

When I do this, I'm thinking of taking video and doing on a DIY on the cam swap, being that there isn't anything out there on it other than what is in the manual.

BTW, that cam you sanded down is toast, so it's only good for a regrind now.
Flat tappet cams are not exactly flat. The tappets have a crown to them that is very slight and you can't really see it, but it slopes slightly. Maybe a couple thousandths of an inch. Same with the cam lobes. This is what spins the tappets when the engine runs. The cam needs to match this. You ground that off.
So, you can still use that for a core, but don't run that sanded-down cam as it is now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:55 pm
OK  Thanks  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King