Author Topic: Need Help on a 2012 C5 Desert storm!  (Read 4785 times)

sbenson619

• Scooter
on: April 07, 2014, 04:26:58 am
Hey guys just bought a 2012 C5 desert storm with 10 miles on it completely stock. Love the bike, but anyways my issue is that when the motor cools off and i go to start it(say in the morning) it wont start. I get the fuel pump sound, all the lights work, its in neutral, and the kickstand is up. It just continues to crank. I pull the plug and looked at it(just looked a little wet from it cranking so im getting fuel).
Im definitely new to royal enfields and bikes in general so i might be missing something here. Anyways i put the plug back in and it started up with a little hesitation but once it warmed up it was fine. I then went on a 10 mile ride turned it off went to the store(aproxx 10min), came back out and it started up fine. I parked it for about 2 hours then came back tried to start it and its just cranking.
any advice would help guys thanks. I also live in san diego so its not super cold out here.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:10 am
I assume you have pulled the clutch in? Or disengaged the clutch with the lever. Same thing. Before I got mine I saw a fellow rider drain his battery by putting his bike in neutral and hitting the starter over and over. He forgot about the clutch. I doubt this is your problem as you say you've been riding it.

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:00:16 am
And I'm stupid! Just tried it and yep that was my issue!! I guess sometimes I was pulling it in and I guess I wasn't sometimes. Still getting used to bikes.
Thanks a million!!!!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:26:27 am
IMO, if the transmission is in neutral, the kickstand is up, the "kill" switch is in the "run" position, the fuel pump momentarily ran, the "check engine" light lit and then went out and the engine cranks, it should start with the clutch lever in or out.  It's position is only important if the transmission is in gear or someone is using the kick starter.

Also, if the engine is cold, using the Bi-Starter lever while cranking can help it start.

As this motorcycle is basically brand new, if the problem persists, take it to the dealer and demand that he find what is wrong and repair it.  A brand new motorcycle should not be doing what this one is doing.
My guess about what's causing the problem would be the spark plug.
It's just my opinion but the Bosch plugs don't seem to be the best choice.
A NGK BPR6ES or a NGK BPR6EIX seems to greatly improve the fuel injected 500cc UCE.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:36 am
My bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in. I read on the forum that the clutch and side stand have safety switches on the newer bikes.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:29:51 am
They do have safety switches but unless they have recently changed the design, the one for the clutch is there only to bypass the neutral switch.  If the transmission is not in neutral, the electric starter will not work at all unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

If, for instance, you are sitting at a stop light and the engine dies, if you release the clutch and hit the starter button nothing will happen.  If you then pull in the clutch lever and hit the starter button, the engine will be cranked and (hopefully) roar to life.

The sidestand safety switch is a horse of a different color.  If the kick stand is down, all power to the engine, the fuel pump and the starter will be off.  Only when the side stand is up (or the switch is disconnected) will the power to the engine be in the "on" condition.

As RE is constantly changing things, I'll admit that the newer models might have another "safety" idea incorporated that could keep the engine from starting if the clutch is not pulled in but this would make starting the motorcycle with the kick starter impossible.

To use the kick starter, the clutch must be totally released so the power from the kick can go thru the transmission, the clutch and the primary chain to the engines crankshaft.
If the clutch is pulled in while kicking the lever the clutch will just slip and the engines crankshaft won't move a bit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:35:02 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 07:06:06 am
Tomorrow I'll find out.  Good post.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:11 pm
Don't try to kick start with the clutch disengaged.  It is very hard on the knees.   :-\
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:48 pm
My bike won't start unless the clutch is pulled in. I read on the forum that the clutch and side stand have safety switches on the newer bikes.

All these "safety switches" are nothing new; all the AVLs had 'em from what? 2003? 2002? Then they all went into all the UCEs. Nothing new.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:50 pm
I have a 2013 C5 Military.

Like others have said, if the kill switch is in the RUN position and if the ignition switch is ON and if the transmission is in NEUTRAL and if the sidestand is UP, the bike should crank and start when the starter button is depressed regardless of the clutch lever being IN or OUT.

If all of these are true and the engine doesn't crank or start, you need to have a technician evaluate the problem.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:26:30 pm
I have a 2012 C5 and had the same starting problem. Dumping the Bosch plug for a BPR6EIX solved it.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:32 pm
I put in a ngk iridium plug still does the same thing with the clutch lever pulled out. When I press in the clutch it starts. Looked at the manual it says press in the clutch when starting. Is there an issue with this bike?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 11:29:15 pm
It's a safety feature.  There's a switch on the clutch, if you don't pull it in it won't start.  This is to keep you from starting the bike in gear.  Likewise, if the side stand is down you can't start the bike.  It may allow you to start with the clutch out if it's in neutral, not sure as I always put the clutch in out of habit.

That all applies to the electric starter.  If you're kick starting you can't have the clutch in, it has to be out.  If it's not out the kick starter won't engage.  Make sure you're in neutral before you kick ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:40:03 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:13:23 am
As I think I mentioned, if the transmission is in neutral and the neutral indicator light is lit, the motorcycle should start.

There might be a problem with the neutral switch or its wiring so the ignition isn't making a spark unless the clutch switch ground path is activated.  If that was the case, I would not expect the electric starter motor to run though.  It's also controlled by the neutral switch or clutch ground path.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:23 am
Ok so I bought a new ngk iridium and copper and installed the iridium and will see how it works tomorrow also does the copper one need to be gapped and if so what is it. If this doesn't work I will call the dealer tomorrow

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 04:16:32 am
Ok so I bought a new ngk iridium and copper and installed the iridium and will see how it works tomorrow also does the copper one need to be gapped and if so what is it. If this doesn't work I will call the dealer tomorrow

Wait......  You swapped the plug and didn't even TRY to start the bike?  What anarchy is this?!   :o
Just kidding.   ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:00 am
Hey guys just bought a 2012 C5 desert storm with 10 miles on it completely stock. Love the bike, but anyways my issue is that when the motor cools off and i go to start it(say in the morning) it wont start. I get the fuel pump sound, all the lights work, its in neutral, and the kickstand is up. It just continues to crank. I pull the plug and looked at it(just looked a little wet from it cranking so im getting fuel).
Im definitely new to royal enfields and bikes in general so i might be missing something here. Anyways i put the plug back in and it started up with a little hesitation but once it warmed up it was fine. I then went on a 10 mile ride turned it off went to the store(aproxx 10min), came back out and it started up fine. I parked it for about 2 hours then came back tried to start it and its just cranking.
any advice would help guys thanks. I also live in san diego so its not super cold out here.

Sounds like your battery is weak..... it's a 2012 bike.   Is that the same battery that has been sitting in that bike for two years ?  Or did the dealer put a new one in when you got it?  It may be hard to start, because it's not granking it over fast enough. You finally get it started...fouling the plug while trying.... take it for a spin... the battery get a bits of a charge. You let it sit, and it discharges... Try checking your battery voltage.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 06:07:47 am
I would've started the bike but I didn't want to annoy my neighbor.  It was getting dark and the bike is parked right by his dining room. I tested the battery voltage and it was 13.4 last I measured with maybe some surface charge from running I will test it again tomorrow morning and see what's up.

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:07 pm
It's now at the dealer :( I'm going through riding withdrawals already

sbenson619

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 10:47:28 pm
UPDATE got it back from the dealer and he said he adjuste the TPS and that was it. Any thoughts? It starts and runs fine now I will try it tomorrow morning see how it starts.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2014, 11:53:55 pm
That could do it.  If it continues to run fine then you're ok. Try to replicate the original problem:  hot starts.

Scott

hogdad

• Scooter
  • 2012 C5 Military Special
Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:25 pm
sbenson619,
July 2013 I purchased a new 2012 C5 Military with 1 mile on it.  Three days later with 187 miles on the clock, I went to start it and it just cranked just like yours.
I re-read the manual (key on, establish fuel pressure, kill switch off, side stand up)....just cranked.  I tried it over a 4 hour time period, and just crank with not a hint of starting.
I called the dealer and they suggested all of the above plus a touch of throttle.  I don't ever apply throttle to any EFI engine... ever!  But it worked.
I have since replaced the OEM Bosch plug with the NGK BPR6EIX and I no longer need any throttle to start.  I hope this helps.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2009 H-D Road Glide FLTR
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2000 H-D Electra Glide
1980 H-D FXS Low Rider
1979 H-D XLS Roadster
1978 Triumph Bonneville
1969 BSA Lightning
1966 BSA Lightning