Author Topic: EFI silencer discoloring prematurely?  (Read 5459 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:22 am
I've rode maybe fifty miles after having installed the EFI silencer, and I've noticed the silencer is already starting to turn gold in places, and the pipe underneath the foot peg is fairly blue - did I do something wrong? What do I do now?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 12:15:47 am
It may take a little while for the ECU to adjust to the new silencer conditions. It might be running a little bit lean until then.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 12:33:35 am
Hey Royal, All the EFI silencers I've seen discolor because the are stopped down with a Catalytic converter inside, which is designed to get super-hot & burn off nasty emissions. They also get very colorful.
  If you have the good fortune NOT to live in a state run by Berserk Nitwits, who require Vehicle Emissions Testing on Motorcycles, You could put a less restrictive non EFI Muffler on your Enfield. I have noticed extreme Blueing on bikes with the EFI mufflers, & much less to no Blueing on bikes without them. My 2010 has a barely noticeable gold tint at the top of the header. I owe this to my low restriction Cocktail Shaker style Reverse Megaphone, & letting it run a bit rich.  Just my opinion though.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 02:12:41 am
I thought the "EFI" mufflers were the aftermarket silencers that doesn't have a converter in them?
Their sold by Hitchcocks and NFG and look much like the old BSA silencers.
The original factory silencer, "torpedo", "Telephone pole" or whatever people want to call it, does have the converter in the front end of it, which is why that area turns yellow or blue.

Are we talking about the old OEM "EFI" silencer or the aftermarket versions?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 02:23:52 am
I figured that since he said he had just installed the new EFI silencer, it was the aftermarket one. He wouldn't have to install the OEM one. It would have already been on there from new.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:24 am
Yeah, it's the aftermarket Nfield Gear unit.

How long should I expect the ECU to take to acclimate to the new silencer?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 02:34:35 am
I don't know how long the ECU might take to adjust.  I would think 50 miles should do it but I really don't know.

Is your motorcycle doing a lot of backfiring when you let up on the throttle?  If it isn't, it probably isn't running lean now.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:07:45 am
Other than the very rare soft puff, no backfiring at all - which is surprising because most of the reports I'd read on this muffler made backfiring sound like something to expect.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:10:54 am
You mean the aftermarket made in England EFI silencer has a catalytic converter in it? I was considering getting it because I thought it didn't have.

Since AZ did away with emissions testing last year, I don't believe they do that anywhere. Maricopa county AZ was the ONLY county in the entire country to have emissions testing. I have 3 bikes that I had to rejet and retune every year just to get them through emissions. Couldn't leave them that way because they barely ran.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 06:22:20 am
I have Hitchcock's EFI on my C5 and it has no catalytic converter and my system has absolutely no discolouration after two years. I love it.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:20:49 pm
I have the "EFI" silencer from CMW, not Hitchcocks - it arrived wrapped in British newspaper, so draw your own conclusions...

No cat, of course.  It's definitely yellowed - but I don't care... aesthetically, anyway.  If it suggests a problem, then I'd want to know about it!  My OEM bazooka has so many random and varied color patches, it looks like a tattoo parlor disaster...

Wasn't there a change in the baffling of these things - new perforated screens and all that?  Maybe the new ones are more restrictive, and heat up more?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 05:46:00 pm
Since they run the some temps old or new they start to color in short order, but they shouldn't get very blue. Mine ran gold for 16,000 miles. It came from CMW and had no catastrophic converter in it. The stock ones actually have two in them. They are also $600! Anyone need one?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 07:02:56 pm
Yeah, it's the aftermarket Nfield Gear unit.

How long should I expect the ECU to take to acclimate to the new silencer?

GOOD question. ... Is it the Hitchcock p/n 91080 style silencer ? 

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 07:49:26 pm
I have run the hitchcocks efi silencer for 500 miles, with only mild colouring. I think they used to call it 'patina', a sign the bike is being used.

Incidentally, i have never had the system backfire - sounds like a wee air leak somewhere?

I agree that the price of replacement original factory fit silencers is daft: nearly £550 here. I'm only keeping mine to fit before the bike's annual MOT Test, starting when it is 3  years old.

Cheers,

Blair

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:07 pm
My oem pipe is badly blued around the oxygen sensor, and there is a yellow circle around the silencer itself, about an inch wide. Probably where a baffle, or the cat con itself is welded inside, causing a hot spot. I don't mind discolored pipes, they are one of the things I liked about my old Triumph. It was a bike made to be ridden, not cleaned and polished (well at least it was back then) So blue pipes and oil and grease on the engine did not look out of place.

Glad to here the EFI pipe does not have a cat in it. If I get it, I will keep the oem pipe at least until the warranty runs out. There are no inspections in AZ, and most bikes here have aftermarket pipes. I might be able to get a couple hundred $$ out of the stock pipe on eBay. I know one person that paid $500 for a new stock Honda Rebel 450 exhaust system on eBay, and was very happy to get it. It was the last thing he needed to finish restoring his bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson