Author Topic: Dim high beam  (Read 6139 times)

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
  • If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Ride!
on: July 12, 2008, 01:04:25 pm
Innnnteresting... When I first had the bike a couple of months ago ('08 "Iron Maiden" Classic) it's burn out the headlights in a whipstich.  Jerry (Chief Mech Guru at L & L Classic Cycle), at the 500 mile breakin service, discovered the voltage regulator for the headlight hadn't been plugged in.  He connected it and ever since the (now new 7"--we got ride of that cobbled up 5" thing) headlight's been working fine... EXCEPT:
The low beam is nice and bright and one can see delightfully with it at night... BUT:  Turn on the high beam, and at first... nothing... then a low-powered warm glow only that hardly gives light enough to see unless you really rev the engine.  Any ideas as to why, fellows & gals?  I'd like the high beam to be as nice and bright and come on as immediately as the low beam.  Is the voltage reg doing somthing?  Is it the bulb? What? ???

It'd sure help to know what to look for as to the cause of this so maybe I could fix it and see at night with the high beam on.  :)
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 RE Deluxe G-5 :)) "Eagle"
2010 BMW F800ST
Ridin' 58 years & counting!  Back roads are fun! Member IBA.

mtrude

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 06:22:09 pm
Hello, Since the light works well on low,  can you try switching the leads on the back of the headlight so the positions are reversed? If it then works on "high"  you know its not the bulb. I wonder if the switch is bad and/or a poor high resistance connection exists and is not allowing full power to the light? Is there any change in the taillight brightness when you switch the headlight? I think if the regulator was faulty that light would dim also. Has it done this since the headlight conversion? have fun, mtrude

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:42:14 pm
Thanks, MTrude, I'll give those a checkout, and see what happens if I switch leads on the bulb.
Ralph Meyer
2008 RE Classic Bullet ES :) "Ennypenny" (It's an Enfield and costs pennies to run!)
2010 BMW F800ST

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:03:13 am
One thing we need to remember is that the headlamps are powered directly from the alternator, not the full 12 or 13 volts from the battery like "modern" vehicles. The more rpm's - the more volts. The hi beam will be a higher wattage so more volts or rpm's are required. The lag between lo and hi will test your nerves in the beginning but you will get used to it.
   One thing that you can do is assure that your main ground is  good. The main ground on the backside of the battery box is usually suspect. Remove it and scrape the paint off the box so that you have bare metal. A dab of that dielectric grease, or what ever it's called, will keep down any corrosion. I think you'll find your lights may be brighter but that lag tween hi and lo will be there...
                   - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

meilaushi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 02:35:39 pm
Thanks!  Good points.  Will do. :)
Ralph Meyer
2010 BMW F800ST

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:26 am
There must be some reason that Re thought that running the headlamp directly off the alternator was a good Idea,  I cant imagine what that could be . If I ever get trouble with mine I shall wire it to the battery and let the regulator charge the battery accordingly.
I would never be a member of a cub that would have me as a member

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 04:08:31 pm
I believe the reason the bikes have the lights running off the alternator is that with the electric starter the alternator couldn't put out enough juice to charge the battery back especially when the lights are wired to be on all the time.You could wire the lights to be  on the on off switch so you could have them off when starting or during the daytime,depending on state laws.Even so the charging system and battery are small for this function.  Roger
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:23 am
Good point, but you must have American specifications. Mine does allow me to turn the lights out, and I can have my headlamp on without running the engine.

There are some dim wits (no pun intended)  out there,-- but I would rather have my machine wired in such a way that I am in control.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 03:12:07 pm
I figure that it was designed this way so the bike could still be run with a marginal or bad battery so long as it wasn't shorted out. A capacitor could be installed to run with NO battery as well. With lights wired thru the battery I don't think they would work very well on a dead battery. Now days we keep good batteries and keep them charged.
     As far as not being able to turn our lights off and on here in the U.S., the switch can be made usable in less than 5 minutes. I turn mine off while idling for warm up and I can tell that the speed increases just a little.
                        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 05:16:00 pm
Mike,
  You ever forget to turn on your headlight?  Hell, sometimes I can't remember to zip up, how am I supposed to remember to turn on a headlight in broad daylight.
Leonard
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 06:01:42 pm
as a matter of fact I have. I usually catch it pretty quick or
at least before I'm pulled over.

........as for zipping up?? 
NOT YET, but I'm sure my time is getting close....
                - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 01:56:30 am
this is the time to talk about senility ..there are three stages,, ist stage you forget peoples names  ,especially those  you"ve just met, second stage you forget to zip up your pants..third stage  you forget to zip down your pants.
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

clamp

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:53:15 am
Zips on pants Geeeez I can remember that. I only wear shorts with elastic around the waist,--same with my neck tie ,--when I wear one,--I think George bush has one .

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 01:32:56 pm
That should be reason enough to never go near one.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:53:39 pm
Zips on pants Geeeez I can remember that. I only wear shorts with elastic around the waist,--same with my neck tie ,--when I wear one,--I think George bush has one .
Nope...  I'm pretty sure his tie would be a clip on.
'My dear you are ugly,
 - Winston Churchill