Author Topic: Clogged Fuel Filter  (Read 12590 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 01:36:36 am
I think I've only gotten above 70 mpg on a tank once.  But I also ride at or near sea-level almost exclusively.  I understand it makes a difference.

Suitcase, has your low fuel light ever come on?  Reason I'm asking is, some have had issues with it working - mine worked for the first 3000 miles or so, but then became intermittent and untrustworthy.  Before you risk running it dry, maybe you can test the light - perhaps if the tank isn't too full, you can siphon some fuel out and see what happens?  When my light was working, it would first come on when braking or facing downhill, which makes sense considering the float's location.

I don't know, just wondering...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 06:07:12 am
Yes, it has come on a couple of times. Because I was breaking it in, I did not go very far, so there were gas stations nearby, and I filled it up. I'll start keeping better track of the mileage. I have been focused more on getting it properly broken in than anything else. I have heard that the float is prone to ethanol damage, but I'm pretty sure mine is still too new for that.

Is the fuel pump made by Keihin? I saw a post from a while back where someone used a part from a Keihin pump to repair a broken RE pump. Keihin pumps are used on many Japanese bikes, and I have never heard of problems caused by running out of gas before. I have an EFI Yamaha scooter, and it does not have a warning about running it out of gas. Also, all EFI cars use similar pumps, and as a former fleet mechanic, we would get a call every once in a while from someone who had run out of gas. These pumps would fail occasionally, but it was not common, and I never noticed any connection between pump failure and running out of gas. I worked for the same place for 36 years, and never heard this even mentioned, or saw it in any manual. In fact, most car pumps will shut down if the system loses pressure.

"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 01:13:14 pm
Re. the "run your tank dry and risk your fuel pump" thing - Click and Clack have been telling me that for years, and they wouldn't BS me...  would they?  :-X

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 01:22:10 pm
In my 3 years of selling auto parts, I asked every customer buying a new fuel pump if they had recently run it out of gas.  I didn't keep a tally, but I would say 2-3 out of every 5 fuel pumps I sold the customer had run the car out of gas in the last month or so, most times within a week or even a day.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 03:16:05 pm

Is the fuel pump made by Keihin? I saw a post from a while back where someone used a part from a Keihin pump to repair a broken RE pump. Keihin pumps are used on many Japanese bikes, and I have never heard of problems caused by running out of gas before. I have an EFI Yamaha scooter, and it does not have a warning about running it out of gas. Also, all EFI cars use similar pumps, and as a former fleet mechanic, we would get a call every once in a while from someone who had run out of gas. These pumps would fail occasionally, but it was not common, and I never noticed any connection between pump failure and running out of gas. I worked for the same place for 36 years, and never heard this even mentioned, or saw it in any manual. In fact, most car pumps will shut down if the system loses pressure.

Yes it is a Keihin pump.  And I have found, with no combustion in the chamber, the pump and the injector shut down.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 04:02:37 pm
I ran mine down once at about 1500 miles.  Of course once it was obvious from the sputtering that I was out if gas I killed it and coasted to the side.  No problems since. 

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 04:18:45 pm
I ran mine down once at about 1500 miles.  Of course once it was obvious from the sputtering that I was out if gas I killed it and coasted to the side.  No problems since. 

Scott

If you catch it when it starts to sputter and shut it down you will usually be ok as the pump isn't sucking complete air yet.  But most people see they ran out of gas and try to drive the car as far they can.  That's when the pump usually fails.

Scottie J

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 06:13:38 pm
Yeah, I knew what was happening.  I was out on a long trip, got to a gas station only to find it was abandoned, and had to make the choice to head back to the last one I saw or forge ahead.  I forged ahead and then had to wait an hour for AAA to show up.

But I knew I was likely to run out of gas, so as soon as it sputtered I just pulled over.  There was no way I was going to make it up that hill I was trying to climb ;)  I'm guessing too that once they run out of fuel to pump, i.e. resistance, the pump just spins wildly fast, accelerating its own demise.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:42 pm
Yeah, I knew what was happening.  I was out on a long trip, got to a gas station only to find it was abandoned, and had to make the choice to head back to the last one I saw or forge ahead.  I forged ahead and then had to wait an hour for AAA to show up.

But I knew I was likely to run out of gas, so as soon as it sputtered I just pulled over.  There was no way I was going to make it up that hill I was trying to climb ;)  I'm guessing too that once they run out of fuel to pump, i.e. resistance, the pump just spins wildly fast, accelerating its own demise.

Scott

Since the new bikes are already loaded with electronics, it would be a simple matter to electronically limit the speed of the pump, and to shut it down as soon as it lost pressure. Only reason I can see to not do this would be to sell more pumps. Anything that expensive should have some kind of protection, especially since it would be so easy. Of course that plastic fitting should have either been replaceable or made out of metal too. 
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 07:05:08 pm
 It does shut down.. no pressure no pump.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:38 pm
It does shut down.. no pressure no pump.

Not exactly the best safety device but it is effective  8)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:53 pm
Not exactly the best safety device but it is effective  8)

LOL !!   Yeah right !   But no...... THATS not what I mean.  The pump does not continue to run after the bike stalls. The pressure drops from running out of gas.... or just not enough to cycle the injector. The bike stalls.... no rotation at the crank, the speed sensor See's no movement at the rotor. The ECU demands a manual restart to get it going again....  Not a bad safety in case of a ruptured fuel line or a tank on impact . No pressure.... no pump. And that pressure runs out QUICK!  It works the same with the stock pump or an aftermarket in line deal...  That plastic pub on the pump DOES suck however!  ::)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:12 pm
Ah!  Better than the system I thought you were describing. ;)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 11:44:14 pm
Ah!  Better than the system I thought you were describing. ;)

Yes, sorry I wasn't more clear... When it stalls, the MIL light will pop on, and you will likely have a injector and fuel pump code.  BUT,  They're SHOULD be a voice  that says " Hey!.... You surrrrre you want to keep hitting that start button?!.... It's YOOUURR  pump"..  ::) ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:29 am

LOL !!   Yeah right !   But no...... THATS not what I mean.  The pump does not continue to run after the bike stalls. The pressure drops from running out of gas.... or just not enough to cycle the injector. The bike stalls.... no rotation at the crank, the speed sensor See's no movement at the rotor. The ECU demands a manual restart to get it going again....  Not a bad safety in case of a ruptured fuel line or a tank on impact . No pressure.... no pump. And that pressure runs out QUICK!  It works the same with the stock pump or an aftermarket in line deal...  That plastic pub on the pump DOES suck however!  ::)

That's how cars and trucks are set up too.  The difference is about 6-16' of fuel line plus return and vapor lines before the engine stalls on a car or truck, where as a bike you only have about 1' if that.  So on a Enfield, or really any EFI bike, you are not nearly as likely to damage the pump because you will only run it dry for a few seconds before the computer shuts it off.  Where as if you run a car or truck until it stalls the pump can dry for a few minutes before the engine actually cuts out and the computer gets thew signal to turn it off.  Of course the time the pump runs dry varies from car to car.  BUT as Ducati Scotty mentioned earlier, you will notice the power drop off and sputtering, if you are wise enough to shut the vehicle down before the engine actually stalls most times you will prevent any damage from happening to the pump.

Scottie  J