Author Topic: Front Sprocket and Chain  (Read 1689 times)

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:58 pm
Good afternoon,

What is a good source for replacing the front sprocket and chain for the vintage Bullets?  Nfield gear or Hitchcocks?  Im in the states and dont see a USA phone number?  Im hoping to change the sprocket.  I desire to change the number of teeth and chain.  Cant get anymore adjustment out of the chain that is on it.  Have not removed the primary cover just yet to count the teeth on the current sprocket.  May do so this weekend.     
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:23 pm
NFG should have the sprockets. By the chain form a noted chain manufacturer, not the junker stuff that comes from India. Get a DID, Tsubaki, or one of the other Japanese chains that are available. The sprockets are a bitch to change. You don't want to have to do it very often!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:46:27 pm
NFG should have the sprockets. By the chain form a noted chain manufacturer, not the junker stuff that comes from India. Get a DID, Tsubaki, or one of the other Japanese chains that are available. The sprockets are a bitch to change. You don't want to have to do it very often!
Bare

Thanks.  Can I order a sprocket with a different tooth number than stock?  I had not looked at the remove and replace issues yet,  what should I look out for?  Do I need a puller?    What is the rule for changing the sprocket size.  Up or down in teeth does what type of modification? 
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:05:48 pm
Thanks.  Can I order a sprocket with a different tooth number than stock?  I had not looked at the remove and replace issues yet,  what should I look out for?  Do I need a puller?    What is the rule for changing the sprocket size.  Up or down in teeth does what type of modification?

That depends on what you are trying to achieve.  If you're trying to get more torque go with a smaller front sprocket.  If you're trying to get better cruising RPMs go with a taller sprocket.  You don't actually need a puller if you know what you're doing.  But the crank sprocket is next to impossible to get off without an impact wrench.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:34 pm
Thanks Scottie.  Yes, I'm hoping to reduce the rpm's and cruise easier.  That would be for example going from 18t to 19t or the other way?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:33 pm
Adding teeth to the transmission output sprocket will reduce the engine RPM at any speed.

It won't get you any increase in top speed though because the engines horsepower limits how fast the motorcycle will go.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:24:20 pm
Adding teeth to the transmission output sprocket will reduce the engine RPM at any speed.

It won't get you any increase in top speed though because the engines horsepower limits how fast the motorcycle will go.

Thanks.  That's what I was hoping for.  Minimum speed out there is maximum speed already for me so I stick to rural roads.  Just want to go farther some days.