Author Topic: Wheres the beef?(vibration)  (Read 4422 times)

ruufman58

• Scooter
on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:19 pm
I have been on this site since Dec 2013 and even though all i hear about is vibration,vibration ,vibration.Well I bought a new G-5 in January.My drive home from the dealer was all back roads 20-50 mph.A little vibration but no more than a number of Japanese singles I have owned from 175-650cc.
I assumed the problem must be at higher rpms.So at approx 100 miles I brought up to seventy on the highway for a couple of seconds,still only minor vibrations.No parts are falling off and it always starts and runs.Is it that Ive ridden lots of singles or is everybody expecting the smmothness of a Goldwing?
I would rather complain about the poor suspension and the impossible to work on new fork setup.Heavier gauge wiring woudnt hurt either.

I just dont want to scare off potential customers.
2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:04 pm
It's a bit subjective and some bikes are far worse than others.  Some people are only used to silk smooth Japanese inline fours, compare to those these bikes are jackhammers.  All bikes vibrate some when they are new and tend to smooth out considerably over the first few thousand miles.  Once at that point some vibrate more than others, but most are acceptable.  Vibes seem to be complained about mostly at freeway speeds, 60-65 and over.

My bike was very viby when new, at least it felt like that.  A few miles and a little getting used to it and I can do any speed I want for as long as I want without issue now.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:30 pm
I have ridden several  Japanese singles, mostly dirt and dual sport. None of them came anywhere near the vibration level of the Enfield. The KLR650 was almost completely smooth. It has a short stroke, light flywheel, and a counterbalancer.

I do plan to remove the bar end weights on mine to see if I can get a bit more vibration in the grips (also for looks and to make the bars narrower, I don't remember any vintage British bikes with bar end weights) but I doubt it makes a noticeable difference.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:30 pm
Removing bar ends did not make any noticeable difference on mine at least.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:10:53 pm
ALL STROKERS (engines with a long piston stroke) VIBRATE SOME. Can't have it both ways, & I wouldn't change it anyway.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:54 pm
Removing bar ends did not make any noticeable difference on mine at least.

I didn't think it would. But I'm still doing it for looks and to shorten the bars. Makes it easier to get through the living room door (I live alone, and have converted my living room to a bike room) I have a 2 car garage, but it is already full with a car, truck, and 2 bikes. And it is nice to be able to work on bikes inside in the summer. I keep my A/C set on 70 degrees.

Anyway, I like a bike to vibrate. I'm an internal combustion type, and the vibration lets me know there is a real engine down there. I considered a 2003 or older Harley Sportster before buying the Enfield, but I have always had a love for vintage British bikes, and the Enfield was as close as I could reasonably get.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:59 pm
I start noticing vibration once the engine goes over 4000 rpm. Which means highway speeds over here.
It's a high frequency vibration, which actually feels quite good and definitely not uncomfortable.

The noise of an internal combustion engine is pure music to which I am absolutely addicted.
It is a living breathing machine. The notion 'iron horse' matches in both ways: made of metal it's a being one can relate to and become one with. Simply best invention ever.

My #2 bike is a two stroke Bombardier from 1982. More a prancing pony, and likewise exhilarating.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:56 am
When I bought my 2011 G5 I really expected it to vibrate a lot.

Maybe I was lucky but the G5 had very little vibration except at an idle.  Actually, even at an idle the vibration isn't bad but it does cause the front wheel to dance a little, just like a big single should. :)

On one occasion, the motorcycle did start to vibrate noticeably at riding speeds.  It still wasn't nearly as bad as my old Honda CX500 V-Twin so I didn't think much about it.

Later on, I looked at the lower rear engine mount and lo!  There wasn't any bolt head where a bolt head should have been.  :o
After studying the situation I found that the long thru bolt that runs thru the frame, engine, frame was broken.
Faced with the choice of contacting NFG for a new bolt and nut or designing my own replacement I chose the latter.

The bolt was a very long 8mm size, not available at any local places so I bought a piece of heat treated, high strength 5/16-24 threaded rod, 2 grade 8 nuts and two washers.  Oh, I bought a new hack saw blade too.

After some serious sawing (damn, that steel is tough) I had my new threaded thru rod, washers and nuts installed and torqued down.

That solved the vibration problem and its never returned.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:54 am
I start noticing vibration once the engine goes over 4000 rpm. Which means highway speeds over here.
It's a high frequency vibration, which actually feels quite good and definitely not uncomfortable.

The noise of an internal combustion engine is pure music to which I am absolutely addicted.
It is a living breathing machine. The notion 'iron horse' matches in both ways: made of metal it's a being one can relate to and become one with. Simply best invention ever.

My #2 bike is a two stroke Bombardier from 1982. More a prancing pony, and likewise exhilarating.  ;D

I agree. If a bike doesn't vibrate and make some noise (not obnoxiously loud) then it is not much fun. A motorcycle a MACHINE. You are not supposed to be insulated from the noise and vibration. It's part of the riding experience.

I did remove the bar end weights and went for a ride. As I suspected, no difference. I'm going to cut off the metal caps on the ends of the bars with a Dremel and cutoff wheel, and install new grips with end caps to give it a finished look.

One thing you can do with the RE. Put it on the centerstand on a garage floor, and rev the engine a little. It will slide right across the floor just from the vibration. I have never seen a Japanese bike do that.

It would seem that a lot of people like noise and vibration. I figure that is why Harleys sell so well.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:59 am
Suitcasej. - I like that style of your bike in a AC living room!

"I don't remember any vintage British bikes with bar end weights)"
  I remember guys melting lead and pouring it into handlebars to reduce vibes on Brit bikes.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 01:10:43 am
I've also seen bars filled with lead shot for the same purpose. But I want the pure undiluted experience of riding a big long stroke single. I used to have a 1966 Triumph Bonneville. It is the one bike I've ever had that I seriously regret selling. I can't begin to afford what a nice one costs now. The Enfield makes an excellent affordable alternative. And I've put 500 miles on it without a broken clutch cable or an electrical failure. That never happened with the Triumph.

crush02342002

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:07:15 am
I never minded the vibration till I did 75-80mph from Houston all the way to Dallas, that's when crap rattled off. I understood at the time you shouldn't ride these bikes that hard but I was stuck in a situation...lol

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:58:10 am
The amount of vibration affects different rider to different degrees.

I have a nerve issue that has resulted in a partial loss of sensation in my hands.  It is still mostly a minor annoyance.  Unfortunately, the vibration of riding my C5 & sidecar is enough to aggravate the condition greatly and it takes the most part of a week to have my hands back to normal.

Since I make my living programming, I really need to be able to feel the keys of the keyboards as I type.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:42 am
I also have a nerve condition in my hands caused by frostbite. This happened back in '88, when I rode over 50 miles in a snowstorm without gloves (don't ask) It doesn't bother me in normal temperatures, but I start losing feeling in my hands when they get cold. Ever since then I have been using a pair of Widder electric gloves in cold weather. Yes the same pair have lasted 25 years, and still work fine. I doubt the Enfield makes enough current to run them though. On several other bikes I've had to put an off switch on the headlight so I could use the watts to power my gloves.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 05:35:57 pm
Hey Suit - I got some battery operated "Mobile Warming" brand. Last time I used them, I forgot about them. Multi settings on there. Not too cool, not too hot. Comfy.
  The battery charge lasts longer than you would probably want to ride!
Cheers
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:58 pm
I can remember several motorcycles I've owned or ridden that shook far worse than an Enfield. SR500, XS650, BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler, Maico 360s, MZ 250 Six Days. there were probably more, but those particular ones really stuck in my mind. My Enfield never put anything to sleep. I enjoyed its little bumbling along. Gave it life!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:28 pm
Does this look like a vibrator to anyone?
8000 rpm on the dyno.
It's a 350, but it still has the same 90mm stroke as the 500.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:50:37 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

abstruse1

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 01:59:30 pm
What's wrong with you guys?  The main cause of engine vibes is poor carb synchronization.  Get out the mercury sticks and get to work.  No more vibes  ;D
Abstruse1
Dallas, TX USA
    Burnin' gas on two wheels for 50 years and still lookin' for a better way!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 12:04:13 am
OK, what do you synchronize one carb to?
The thing that makes Thumpers and 360o twins, Triumphs, BSA Norton, Matchless, AJS, etc vibrate is have one piston, or pair of pistons, bobbing up and down. You can get rid of some of this vibration by counterweighting the flywheels, however then if you overdo that you get for and aft vibration. There is no perfect spot. The is why countershafts were introduced, they have weights that can counter any direction of vibration. Makes the engine heavier and more complicated, but they are smoother. Personally, A good Brit thumper is are to beat for the feeling. Some of the bigger twins were a bit much! Some companies use rubber mounts to keep the vibrations from getting to the rider, but the engines still vibrated the same. Bar end weights hadn't been dreamed up when Brit bikes were in production. the bikes just vibrated, deal with it! Some REs do not do well when the bar ends are taken off!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 01:29:47 am
What's wrong with you guys?  The main cause of engine vibes is poor carb synchronization.  Get out the mercury sticks and get to work.  No more vibes  ;D

Sure helps on an in-line four ! ...... with those four miserable drippy, leaky  THINGS! That seem to hate modern fuel.  ;D     Now.... four throttle bodies might be different !  ;) 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.