Author Topic: Front Fork Toolbag Question  (Read 7670 times)

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
on: March 23, 2014, 09:17:09 pm
Howdy All,

I am considering purchasing a tool bag that would mount on the front forks just below the headlight.  However, it appears the rectifier/voltage regulator is mounted in that spot and has cooling slots in the cover.  I am concerned that heat build-up by blocking the wind could cause trouble down the road.

Anyone have any firsthand information about this scenario?

Cheers,

Dan K.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:14 pm
No experience with it on a UCE, but I don't do it on any bike because of blockage of airflow to the engine. The rectifier too, in cases like this where it is located there.

My personal opinion is that it belongs elsewhere, such as the back of the bike or in one of the toolboxes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:43:13 pm
If you really wish a toolroll on the front, you could do like dirtbikers and wrap it to the fender. That way it wont block airflow to engine or R/R.
But I prefer it too in the back and as low as possible with spares.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:21:16 pm
I have a small leather toolbag mounted to the front fork, resting on the front fender. It isn't large enough for a full toolset but it holds emergency supplies (zip ties, fuses, electrical tape, screwdriver). And it could hold more. I've had no trouble with it.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:44 pm
I have a small leather toolbag mounted to the front fork, resting on the front fender. It isn't large enough for a full toolset but it holds emergency supplies (zip ties, fuses, electrical tape, screwdriver). And it could hold more. I've had no trouble with it.

If you get the opportunity, post a pic.  I'd like to see it.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 12:16:31 am
I don't like strap on tool rolls because they always make wear marks where they are strapped on. I do like sheet metal tool boxes firmly attached to the frame. I have a neat one (off an old bike) to attach crosswise to the lower part of the frames front down tube, below the engine bolt. I just need to make up a mounting bracket for it.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:03 am
I'd love to see a good picture of a tool roll (especially one from Nfield Gear's catalog) attached to a bike. I've been toying around with getting one for extra storage... I'm not completely sold because it might disrupt the lines of the bike, but I had never considered that it might disrupt the airflow to the engine.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:06 am
I don't like strap on tool rolls because they always make wear marks where they are strapped on.

Everything strapped on leaves wear marks.  Conversely...

I strapped my "tool roll" on the back of my luggage rack:

It ended up resting on the tail light box; the top corner of the metal "faceplate" edge chewed a hole in the bottom of the bag in one long day of riding!

Rich, I think we've got the same front end... the front fender rides up and down between the upper fork covering tubes - how does something on the fender keep from rubbing the covers as the forks compress?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 01:57:27 am
Pretty limited amount of space between the fender and casquette when the forks are compressed, too. The bag can't can't be very big.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ragmas

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:06 am
Here's my G5 with the toolbag.  Yes it did wear the paint off of the front fender and the forks where the straps went around.  I no longer use it.

2009 G-5 Military
Little Falls, NY

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 12:28:06 pm
     I hung one of those off the back of my solo seat one time the first summer I had the bike. One trip to town & it had chewed the paint off the rear fender from seat bounce. Pist me off big time. I should have known better.

Anywhere something touches paint expect the clearcoat & the paint to be worn off.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 12:45:00 pm
I live in NYC, ride in winter salt, and park on the street regularly, so on my bike I'm afraid the "wears the paint off" cow is out of the barn...
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 03:21:51 pm
The previous owner of my bike had a front fork tool bag.  As others have said, the paint rubs off the front forks.  You may not mind though, especially if the bag is always going to be there.  Personally, I think it looks quite bad.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 03:25:09 pm
     I have had several customers crash when a big bump compressed the forks enough to bind on the bag. The limit to suspension travel was the difference between falling, or maintaining control.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 05:09:33 pm
I use one of these:
http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/canvas-zipper-bags/canvas-zipper-bag
I secure it crossways in relation to the frame in front of the rear fender below the air box and on top of the gear box. I use a short heavy rubber bungie strap to hold it in place. The weight is low and central and it is easy to access.
The bag holds an amazing number of tools (needed  ;D) is very rugged and since it is soft, it is somewhat pliable making it easy to squeeze in to the small space.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120