Author Topic: An Epic Drag Race?????  (Read 2200 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 23, 2014, 03:12:01 pm
So, it's a slow boring Sunday morning, let's shoot the shit!    :D

So just down the road from our shop is a small private airport with a dirt runway.  I see small prop planes taking off and landing over the shop all the time throughout the summer.  Now that I'm getting ready to replace the clutch assembly in the Blackhawk and the counter-shaft sprocket with a 21 tooth, I know that I'll be able to hit The Ton and a bit more, and has me thinking about a scenario that I conjured up last summer.......

I want to challenge a prop plane to a drag race!

This has ALL the things I love in life.  High speed, danger, excitement, and my favorite, a serious challenge that would be a load of fun win or lose.  I seriously think that with how my bike is tuned, and seeing how fast the planes fly right overhead, it would be a pretty close race.  Of course this all came about watching the Bugatti Veyron drag race an F-16, I believe it was.  Plus I think it would just be a whole lot of fun that would put a big smile on everyone's face that was there.  I may even be able to work it out to have it aired on the radio if I can pull it off (my favorite rock DJ is a BIG TIME motor head with an impressive car collection including an 8 second Mopar that he races).  He has a Saturday morning show called Willie B's Garage that is all Hot Rod everything and does quite a few live broadcasts at different Hot Rod events.  I think he'd totally be down for this.  But it's all hypothetical at this point.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:31:19 pm
Find or make some marks to define your drag race distance on the runway, and time some of the planes of the type you want to race.
That will give you an idea of how fast you'll need to be.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:12 pm
Yep!  I've actually been contemplating getting a yardage tape just so I can mark off my own 1/4 mile out in the country.  ;D  That DJ, Willie B, also lives in the same area as our shop, so I know he is familiar with that airport as well, as Podunk as it is.  ;D

Scottie J

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 06:22:54 pm
Being in a very small minority of Honda CB500T fans, means I know about this ...  ;)
 B.W.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:31:08 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 07:19:36 pm
Being in a very small minority of Honda CB500T fans, means I know about this ...  ;)
 B.W.

See!  That's what I'm talking about!  My half helmet and a pair and my leather jacket!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 05:36:46 pm
So, it turns out that the guy who beat me on the flat track a couple of weeks ago is an all around I-Get-To-Play-With-All-The-Cool-Toys kind of guy.  I ended up becoming "friends" with him on Facebook and this guy is living an awesome life, seriously.  I'm jealous.  LOL  From racing drift cars to cruising in his vintage Jaguar roadster, para-sailing, jet boats.  This guy is all about racing and having a good time.  Anyways I noticed a week a go or so he posted a pic of himself flying a 1931 Brewster Fleet plane.  Well just this morning while surfing the web enjoying the crappy cold rainy day, a light bulb clicked on in my head.  THIS is the guy that can make my drag race happen!  So I sent him a message this morning telling him what I want to do and mentioned

Not only do you apparently have the resources for such a thing, but you come across as an individual who would really appreciate this kind of event and would take this as a friendly competitive challenge. So what do you think?

He responded back 
I'm in, ill start doing research.

I have a feeling this guy can pull through for me on this.  I hope so because it will be epic!

Scottie J